Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Jilly is offline Coach

Re: The best sign ever in all of America

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "litlharsh" wrote:
    Yet Americans walk into hotels and restaurants worldwide speaking only English.
    Agreed, not to mention this country (and all of your ancestors) were immigrants, whom, more than likely, didn't speak english.
    My grandmother and mother were German immigrants and neither of them knew English when they arrived. It took both of them years to get it.

You guys know what I hate? BLIND PEOPLE! Frickin brail signs EVERYWHERE!

Bolded statement: Simply a load of kaka del rio. One of the most Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd analogies I have heard.

But the point is that they tried to learn English. They didn't come over and expect not to have to learn english. Like I said in a previous post, if someone made an decent effort to order in English I am sure the guy wouldn't turn them away even if their English was terrible. My grandma didn't know English when she came over either.

If I was to move to a different country I would take into consideration before hand that I would have to learn the language of the majority of the poeple (official or not)
    The experience of ordering a cheesestake at this guy's restaurant needs to be a part of the context.
    The sign is a little over the top. But I promise you, if you don't know how to order a cheesestake there in Philly, you will get your jiggly butt chewed out whether you are speaking spanish, english, russian or martian.
    No pooh.
    That's so true. I was up in Philly a few months back and we stopped at Geno's. You literally have one second to spit out your order or they are all over you in true Philly style. We went to both Geno's and Pat's, which are within a block of each other and neither place is hurting for business since they are both almost considered historical landmarks. Lines at both places wrapped around the block.

If you go to Geno's you will see that he has his "speak English" signs posted all over the storefront, including all the newspaper articles that his story has appeared in. He even sells t-shirts. This guy is not hurting for business. In fact, there were foreigners in line a few people in front of us...they must have ordered in English.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747463#msg747463 date=1206549584]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747450#msg747450 date=1206548907]
    [quote author=litlharsh link=topic=43557.msg747132#msg747132 date=1206502094]
    Ironic isn't it.
    The "speaking english" complaint is not directed towards the people of foreign lands who are in the U.S. visiting...
    But rather the residents who have lived here for several years and refuse (or are too incompetent) to study or pickup on the english language.
    It's not that complicated and is the least somebody can do.
    Refuse or incompetent? Is there a law that we must speak English? Why do they have to do anything. Freedom of speech! It is still ignorant and his business will suffer for it. I for one will never eat here again when I am in Philly. Customer lost. Plain and sinple! I would almost bet that more immigrants know english than your so called competent citizens know spanish!
    there is a law that says you do not have to serve a person unless they speak the official language of the country..same law applies in canada..why would we need to know spanish by the way? again, a ton of people immigrate into our country, and suddenly we need to make their language official because they are refusing to pick up our language and culture? i thought the point of leaving mexico was to become american and adopt the american way of life? am i wrong?..in canada its one thing, because the french and english were both there from the start, and each did their own thing to found the country, while america was founded by english speaking people
    First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business since. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.

If you think the point of Mexicans coming here is to become "American" and adopt the "American" life then you have a lot to learn.
    [/quote]

From my experience the primary language used in the business world is English.
    The company I work for is headquartered in Europe but yet everyone speaks English...even though it's not their primary language, they use it in the work place.

Interesting article I found too...English is the growing trend.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/...ope/engbiz.php

"We are shifting to English. Why?" said Laurent Bibard, the dean of MBA programs at Essec, a French business school in a suburb of Paris that is a fertile breeding ground for chief executives. "It's the language for international teaching. English allows students to be able to come from any place in the world and for our students - the French ones - to go everywhere."
    With the shift in working languages, the English testing industry is thriving on the rising demand to evaluate skills of a new generation that is expected to master English at more sophisticated levels. Many countries have stepped up English-language requirements at lower levels, which is improving the language abilities of students entering the university system
    [/quote]

What does a French business school have to do with the US?
    [/quote]

Spanish may be the primary language of the world, but it is not the primary business language.
    English is in most cases.
    Universities throuhgout the world are offering more and more courses in English because it is the prefered business language and it gives it's students a head start.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    There is no official language of the United States.
    not at the federal level, but it is in 28 states
    The states have nothing to do with citizenship!
    What does this thread have to do with citizenship?
    A Lot!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Ironic isn't it.
    The "speaking english" complaint is not directed towards the people of foreign lands who are in the U.S. visiting...
    But rather the residents who have lived here for several years and refuse (or are too incompetent) to study or pickup on the english language.
    Refuse or incompetent? Is there a law that we must speak English? Why do they have to do anything. Freedom of speech! It is still ignorant and his business will suffer for it. I for one will never eat here again when I am in Philly. Customer lost. Plain and sinple! I would almost bet that more immigrants know english than your so called competent citizens know spanish!
    there is a law that says you do not have to serve a person unless they speak the official language of the country..same law applies in canada..why would we need to know spanish by the way? again, a ton of people immigrate into our country, and suddenly we need to make their language official because they are refusing to pick up our language and culture? i thought the point of leaving mexico was to become american and adopt the american way of life? am i wrong?..in canada its one thing, because the french and english were both there from the start, and each did their own thing to found the country, while america was founded by english speaking people
    First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business sense. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.

If you think the point of Mexicans coming here is to become "American" and adopt the "American" life then you have a lot to learn.
    [/quote]
    no, that is the reason they move there..minimum wage, and labor laws, you know, american things like that which they dont have in their own country

the only reason spanish would be important in terms of business is because of the sweat shops and other exploited countries in central america, and illegal immigrant labor..in terms of day to day business discussion, spanish has very little to do with anything..if you are working in a business that does use sweat shops in central america, hires illegals, or exploits other methods of production, then i suppose you would have a point, otherwise, nope

were talking about a restaurant in philly..the guy might get 1-2 people a week that dont speak english..its not a business issue, its about his sign..he obviously could care less whether or not people that dont speak eat at his place..plus, people that dont know english cant read the sign anyways
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    A Lot!
    You make it sound like this is an immigration issue and it's not.
    Just because some people prefer the american population to speak english doesn't mean they aren't welcome as citizens...the point is these new citizens should attempt to learn the common language.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    [quote author=josdin00 link=topic=43557.msg747571#msg747571 date=1206555425]
    A Lot!
    Just because some people prefer the american population to speak english doesn't mean they aren't welcome as citizens...the point is these new citizens should attempt to learn the common language.

[/quote]
    exactly
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

the government ruled in this guys favor, so theres nothing to argue here..nothing wrong with the sign, period

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747484#msg747484 date=1206550516]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43557.msg747463#msg747463 date=1206549584]
    Ironic isn't it.
    First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business since. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.

[/quote]

The company I work for is headquartered in Europe but yet everyone speaks English...even though it's not their primary language, they use it in the work place.

"We are shifting to English. Why?" said Laurent Bibard, the dean of MBA programs at Essec, a French business school in a suburb of Paris that is a fertile breeding ground for chief executives. "It's the language for international teaching. English allows students to be able to come from any place in the world and for our students - the French ones - to go everywhere."
    With the shift in working languages, the English testing industry is thriving on the rising demand to evaluate skills of a new generation that is expected to master English at more sophisticated levels. Many countries have stepped up English-language requirements at lower levels, which is improving the language abilities of students entering the university system
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Spanish may be the primary language of the world, but it is not the primary business language.
    Universities throuhgout the world are offering more and more courses in English because it is the prefered business language and it gives it's students a head start.
    [/quote]

I never said Spanish was the primary language?!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43557.msg747570#msg747570 date=1206555318]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=43557.msg747484#msg747484 date=1206550516]
    Ironic isn't it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never said Spanish was the primary language?!
    [/quote]

You said it was the most important business language (under chinese) and that the poster obviously didn't have any business sense.
    My belief is tht English is the primary (or most important) language in the global business environment.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your post?

First of all do your homework. The US has no official language. Next, you obviously have no business sense. Spanish is one of the most important languages besides Chinese in business.

"olson_10" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43557.msg747573#msg747573 date=1206555535]
    [quote author=josdin00 link=topic=43557.msg747571#msg747571 date=1206555425]
    A Lot!

[/quote]
    exactly
    [/quote]

Don't give me that BS. Most of the people who believe they should speak English believe that they should not even come here to begin with. It is all the same ignorant behavior. Things will never change until those people die off.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast