purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Best (cheapest) places to drink beer & eat in Downtown Minneapolis?

Getting ready for my yearly trek to the Twin Cities for this weekends' game.
    Staying downtown (Embassy Suites) for a change, not renting a car (can use Metro & light rail for distances longer than six blocks).
    Doing some research into good places to drink beer and eat downtown (which for me usually means inexpensive) .
    This would primarily be after Sunday's game (to include watching the Packers late afternoon game, and maybe the Sunday night game) as well as the happy hour-to-MNF period Monday.

Anybody got any experience with some killer deals/places (either good or bad)?
    So far, these look like winners to me:

Sunday

McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant - Happy Hour 4-6 PM features some killer discounts on their bar food menu (with a $2.50 minimum drink purchase), including a 1/2 lb cheeseburger w/fries, or spinach & artichoke dip w/tortilla chips($1.95), buffalo wings w/carrots, celery & ranch dressing ($2.95), Fish & Scallop ceviche or Steamed Mussels in Tomato Basil broth ($3.95)...bad part is beers start at $5 each, but I can drink Coke for cheap food like this, and find a cheap place to drink beer later

Monday

Fogo de Chao Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse) - maybe a Monday lunch possibility, you can eat lunch for only $24.50 (same menu at dinner will set you back $44.50)

Refuge Bar & Grill - Power Hour (4 PM-5 PM) beer and appetizers are $1

Gluek's Bar - 2 for 1 Gluek's pints and bottles and select 1/2 price appetizers from 4 PM - 7 PM

Anybody else got any other downtown favorites where cheap beer and/or good cheap food can be had (especially cheap beer Sunday night)?
    Extra points for places that have pinball machines, darts, pool tables, or Texas Hold'Em poker.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Re: Best (cheapest) places to drink beer & eat in Downtown Minneapolis?

"purplepat" wrote:
    Getting ready for my yearly trek to the Twin Cities for this weekends' game.
    Staying downtown (Embassy Suites) for a change, not renting a car (can use Metro & light rail for distances longer than six blocks).
    Doing some research into good places to drink beer and eat downtown (which for me usually means inexpensive) .
    This would primarily be after Sunday's game (to include watching the Packers late afternoon game, and maybe the Sunday night game) as well as the happy hour-to-MNF period Monday.

Anybody got any experience with some killer deals/places (either good or bad)?
    So far, these look like winners to me:

Sunday

McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant - Happy Hour 4-6 PM features some killer discounts on their bar food menu (with a $2.50 minimum drink purchase), including a 1/2 lb cheeseburger w/fries, or spinach & artichoke dip w/tortilla chips($1.95), buffalo wings w/carrots, celery & ranch dressing ($2.95), Fish & Scallop ceviche or Steamed Mussels in Tomato Basil broth ($3.95)...bad part is beers start at $5 each, but I can drink Coke for cheap food like this, and find a cheap place to drink beer later

Monday

Fogo de Chao Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse) - maybe a Monday lunch possibility, you can eat lunch for only $24.50 (same menu at dinner will set you back $44.50)

Refuge Bar & Grill - Power Hour (4 PM-5 PM) beer and appetizers are $1

Gluek's Bar - 2 for 1 Gluek's pints and bottles and select 1/2 price appetizers from 4 PM - 7 PM

Anybody else got any other downtown favorites where cheap beer and/or good cheap food can be had (especially cheap beer Sunday night)?
    Extra points for places that have pinball machines, darts, pool tables, or Texas Hold'Em poker.
    Go to Fogo. It's awesome. Just meat after meat after meat brought to your table until you pass out.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There is also a bar - name I can't remember - about 20 yds from Nicks Sportsworld. Good food there and reasonably priced drinks as I recall.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

One of my favorites is the Melting Pot, which is walking distance from the dome.
    Fondue is a change of pace, and they have nice portions.
    Cheese fondue for dipping different kinds of bread, followed by hot oil fondue for meats (they have a nice combo platter that has filet mignon, chicken and shrimp), and chocolate fondue for dipping fruit for dessert.
    Nice wine menu too, and all reasonably priced:

http://www.meltingpot.com/locations.aspx?z=55110&n=554328

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Fogo looks good. Just checked out their site and if lunch is half price, I think it is a must.

I will be in town for the packers game in november. I will be looking at this topic lots to see what everyone suggets!
    We're bringing purple back.

Jilly is offline Coach

Go to the Seven Corners area in the west bank neighborhood of Minneapolis. There are numerous bars and restaurants in that area such as, the Corner Bar, Sgt. Preston's, and Bullwinkles that cater to the college crowd which means cheap food and beer. Great thing is, it is only about five to six blocks from the dome.

Derek Rick is offline Rookie

Sneaky Petes is a fun time if your younger.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Get a case of Keystone and chill at the tailgate!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"V4L" wrote:
    Get a case of Keystone and chill at the tailgate!
    I plan on being at the tailgate!

Problem is, we won't get in town until 10:45 PM Saturday night, and (as far as I know) all the liquor stores will be closed by then and they aren't open on Sunday at all.
    We're riding Megabus between Cincinnati and Minneapolis, not sure yet if I want to pack a 12 pack (or larger) in my limited luggage.
    Don't know if maybe I can pick up beer somewhere on the way or not (we connect with another bus in Chicago, and the bus might stop somewhere for gas between Chicago and Minny.

We're more or less looking for drinking options after the game, and Monday as well since our return trip doesn't leave Minneapolis until 10:30 PM Monday night.
    SKOL VIKINGS!