Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bears Hester gets 100 speed rating in Madden 08'

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Why? Is there really a market for track and field athletes?

I think the guy is looking to be PAID.
    Asafa Powell, the current world-record holder in the men's 100m, commands $50,000 just to RUN in a race, setting aside any prize money.
    Couple that with with multi-million-dollar endorsement deals with shoe companies, nutrition companies, etc. etc. and it's safe to say that he GETS PAID.

Plus, he has world-wide recognition, the chance for immortality as an Olympic gold medal winner and is known as the World's Fastest Human, a pretty damn cool title.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"skum" wrote:
    The 4.1 time i believe was an 4.06 time, reported by the New York Daily News back in the start of this year.. But i dont know if it was only a rumour.. But Ted Ginn is a insane runner and i would love for him to play in Minnesota..
    At #7?

No way, dude!

=Z=
    PS - love to see a link which actually says that.

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

there is no way he is faster than Bo Jackson was when he came into the league. He is my all time favorite athlete ever.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

The fact that Devon pestered EA about this, and reacted like he won the Superbowl when he got the rating just shows where his priorities are.

And, frankly, I don't trust a single 40 time that has ever been taken. It's all bull since you usually have a dozen 50 year old guys (or 60 years old, or 70 years old, or however-old that crotchety old git was that ESPN did the feature on a week ago) basically GUESSING when the runner is gonna start. I don't understand why the NFL can't spring for some standard measuring equipment like is used in athletics. It'd stop all the room for interpretation that is used by scouts/teams/agents when it comes to making decisions on players.

davike is offline Team Alumni

All his 40 times I looked up were not very impressive.......there are guys in the NFL that are faster then he is....I realize Hester is a great return man, he maybe one of the best ever eventually....but to give him the honor of being the first guy to get a 100 score on Madden, that is overkill. I think there are other guys in the league that probably should have gotten 100 speed over him. But, who really cares? Its Madden, I can guarantee you that just because the Bears have a 100 guy doesn't mean they are going to beat me. :

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Why? Is there really a market for track and field athletes?

I think the guy is looking to be PAID.
    Asafa Powell, the current world-record holder in the men's 100m, commands $50,000 just to RUN in a race, setting aside any prize money.
    Couple that with with multi-million-dollar endorsement deals with shoe companies, nutrition companies, etc. etc. and it's safe to say that he GETS PAID.

Plus, he has world-wide recognition, the chance for immortality as an Olympic gold medal winner and is known as the World's Fastest Human, a pretty damn cool title.

=Z=
    That doesn't seem like much, and the shelf life of a world class runner, to me, seems very low. As a WR in the nfl could play to around 35, while making top dollar.

I don't know for sure either way, but to me the NFL makes more "cents".

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I have to say, an NFL rookie (at $400k) makes A LOT more than most athletes. Look at Dwain Chambers for example, he's looking to repay 2 YEARS worth of prize-money by playing a SINGLE SEASON in the NFL at rookie rates.

And let's not forget that Dwain Chambers IS an Olympic gold-medallist.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

A better first 100 stat would be;
    Peyton Manning's awareness
    Randy Moss' speed or Bennetts(when he first entered the league)
    Champ Bailey's awareness
    Jamal Lewis' break tackle (the year after the 2000+ yard season)
    LT's speed - think about it if Hester is just getting the rating because of game speed then LT is probably has the best 'game speed' of anyone

Will Peyton Manning next year? He probably should. Hester bitched so much they changed the whole concept of 99 being the ever. I like the fifa ratings better anyways. Ronaldinho (the best player) is only a 91 i think. Because really noone is a perfect player.

gregair13 is online now Jersey Retired

"jessejames09" wrote:
    A better first 100 stat would be;
    Peyton Manning's awareness
    Randy Moss' speed or Bennetts(when he first entered the league)
    Champ Bailey's awareness
    Jamal Lewis' break tackle (the year after the 2000+ yard season)
    LT's speed - think about it if Hester is just getting the rating because of game speed then LT is probably has the best 'game speed' of anyone

Will Peyton Manning next year? He probably should. Hester bitched so much they changed the whole concept of 99 being the ever. I like the fifa ratings better anyways. Ronaldinho (the best player) is only a 91 i think. Because really noone is a perfect player.
    i agree with most of this. what about instead of his speed being 100, because i dont think he is the fastest guy in the nfl, give him agility and kick return 100.
    We're bringing purple back.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    The fact that Devon pestered EA about this, and reacted like he won the Superbowl when he got the rating just shows where his priorities are.

And, frankly, I don't trust a single 40 time that has ever been taken. It's all bull since you usually have a dozen 50 year old guys (or 60 years old, or 70 years old, or however-old that crotchety old git was that ESPN did the feature on a week ago) basically GUESSING when the runner is gonna start. I don't understand why the NFL can't spring for some standard measuring equipment like is used in athletics. It'd stop all the room for interpretation that is used by scouts/teams/agents when it comes to making decisions on players.
    It's electronically timed at the combine. And at the combine, Devin Hester ran a 4.51. At his Miami pro day he ran a 4.36. 4.51 is very slow for a guy with his speed, I'm going to say he runs a 4.4 and leave it at that. He's fast enough to run away from everyone on the other teams kick coverage squad, and for him thats fast enough.

However, he is clearly not as fast as Randy Moss*, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Dante Hall, Jerome Mathis, or Champ Bailey.

*Especially in Moss' rookie year, I have never seen someone run faster on a football field than he did, remember that play against Dallas on Thanksgiving day, where he took a little curl route about 60 yards burning 4-5 guys who all had angles on him

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast