Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Basketball player to skip senior year of HS to turn pro

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    He'll probably never know what the Pythagorean Theorem states... but apparently that doesn't effect basketball players too much.
    I don't remember anything I was taught following the 10th grade.
    Neither does Shaq.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purplebus is offline Rookie

"C" wrote:
    "keystonevike" wrote:
    When I first heard about this, I thought That he was making a rash decision, but I didn't give it much more thought. Then I heard that he said something along the lines of "What do I need HS for?" and I felt kind of like rooting for him to fail. But even if he does fail, he will still have a bucketload more money than I do (do I sound jealous here?). LOL.
    He'll spend all the money he makes... make a bunch of bad decisions... never mature... and then our tax dollars will end up supporting him in 30 years.

That's how that story ends.
    Quite possibly the dark ending you project, or he's golden and develops into a tremendous professional.
    Either or, that's not the biggest concern I have for the kid. Imo he is gonna be pimped out for his physical ability at far to young an age to societies whose gods are that of entertainment. If he fails, he'll be discarded like yesterdays newspaper; if he is a temendous success then he is hailed as a champion and all seems well and good.

Just finish HS homie.

I agree with this statement ( I probably failed to use the quote correctly).
    There's something to be said for going through the rigorous training of getting an education while training as an athelete. Mental endurance (patience) of a type that won't be developed traversing the globe playing basketball.

I wish him the best, but at the end of the road all he'll have is his memories. None of us can take any of it with us.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Kindof torn on this one as well.

Would like to see him at least finish High School, but understand were he is coming from.
    Hell, isn't it the goal of our education system to get our kids ready for thier chosen field/work place?

With that rationale in mind, he would be challenged a bit more by the better/bigger players which in turn would equate to being better prepared at his choosen field.

Isn't that the line/rationale the Collegiate ranks used to make sure the "Elite" kids play in thier "System" for at least one year?
    Does anyone believe that those kids are actually doing any studies other than "Free throws"?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I have absolutely zero problem with him entering the workforce early and finishing school in a non-traditional way. It upsets me that the NBA wont let him play. KG, Kobe and Lebron all went right after high school and all are doing just fine(Kobe signed when he was 17, his parents had to sign the contract to make it legal). Sure he may regret the decision, but it's his decision.
    College has it's own pitfalls for students, namely, sex drugs and rock and roll.
    I am actually suprised sometimes that there aren't more alternatives for players that dream of going pro. There should be schools set up just to get players ready for pro-sports, where they can learn the game before the draft. I don't think the NCAA does that good a job getting players ready for the NBA, mainly because that is second or 3rd role for the school. First is to get the athletes to pass all there classroom stuff. Second is to win games for the college, 3rd is to make them better NBA basketball players.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    He'll probably never know what the Pythagorean Theorem states... but apparently that doesn't effect basketball players too much.
    I don't remember anything I was taught following the 10th grade.
    I don't remember being in 10th grade.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    He's an athlete, it's not like he went to class anyway.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Good for him.
    Better than going through the motions in school and just doing the same exact thing a year or two later.
    I especially cheer for him going pro and going overseas to get a nice payday.
    Although College can help some players it's been shown that some high school players should never have to go through the hoops if they don't want.
    The NBA and NCAA simply have a deal so the NCAA can have the exciting players for a year or two.

He is going to earn the most money for himself doing this.
    Considering he is going to get his GED and nothing is going to stop him from going to school later he's making a good choice.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

You can take classes at any age. Your chance to make millions has a much shorter window.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12