Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Basketball player to skip senior year of HS to turn pro

[size=13pt]One giant leap for Tyler[/size]

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
    Apr 22, 9:13 pm EDT

Jeremy Tyler has decided to forgo his senior year of high school and turn pro.

Yes, high school.

This isn’t some sign of the sporting apocalypse or a teenager with an overvalued sense of worth. It’s a daring, trailblazing yet well-thought-out move that challenges the bizarre way America develops amateur basketball players.

Tyler is an agile 6-11, 260-pound San Diego native, the nation’s top player in the junior class who already committed to the University of Louisville. He’s as close to a can’t-miss NBA prospect as there is; a tantalizing mix of size, speed and smarts. Scouts project him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, when he’s eligible under the NBA’s age requirements.

In the meantime, Jeremy Tyler’s options were to:

1. Spend the next year at his local school, San Diego High, where he faces quadruple teams and isn’t experiencing much development; or

2. Transfer to a basketball factory in some rural outpost back East which has a big-time team but resembles a traditional high school in name only; and then

3. Play college ball for a few months dealing with NCAA limitations on practice time and coaching contact while competing against many of the same guys he has the last few years.

All for free, of course.

later in the article...

Over the next couple of weeks the Tylers said they will hire a financial planner and professional sports agent and pursue early feelers from professional teams in Spain, Italy and Israel. Jeremy Tyler is likely to receive a contract worth at least a few hundred thousand dollars a year and could sign endorsement contracts worth at least that.

The plan is to live abroad the next two years, with his father and an uncle taking turns staying with him. “He’ll never be alone,” James said.

Tyler will play against the grown men who can challenge a player of his size and potential. Away from the court he’ll be home-schooled, earn a GED and return in two seasons when he’s eligible for the 2011 draft.

Hmm I am on the fence on this one. I see the arguments for both sides.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Basketball player to skip senior year of HS to turn pro

Wow, he's a little young to be playing professionally anywhere IMO.

What is he 17? He's still got a lot of physical maturing to do(despite being 6'10") The decision to turn pro could either groom him into a great
    player as he'll be essentially growing up as a pro, or destroy his confidence.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Just finish HS homie

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    Wow, he's a little young to be playing professionally anywhere IMO.

What is he 17? He's still got a lot of physical maturing to do(despite being 6'10") The decision to turn pro could either groom him into a great
    player as he'll be essentially growing up as a pro, or destroy his confidence.
    Exactly. there have been a mixed result in kids from HS turning pro and their success Kobe bryant, Labron, KG/ Have made the transition. But the article does point out that in other countries that have strong basketball leagues will develop players thsi young on their pro teams.

keystonevike is offline Starter

When I first heard about this, I thought That he was making a rash decision, but I didn't give it much more thought. Then I heard that he said something along the lines of "What do I need HS for?" and I felt kind of like rooting for him to fail. But even if he does fail, he will still have a bucketload more money than I do (do I sound jealous here?). LOL.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"keystonevike" wrote:
    When I first heard about this, I thought That he was making a rash decision, but I didn't give it much more thought. Then I heard that he said something along the lines of "What do I need HS for?" and I felt kind of like rooting for him to fail. But even if he does fail, he will still have a bucketload more money than I do (do I sound jealous here?). LOL.
    He'll spend all the money he makes... make a bunch of bad decisions... never mature... and then our tax dollars will end up supporting him in 30 years.

That's how that story ends.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Eh.
    At least he plans on getting his GED.
    I don't see this making or breaking his life or basketball career.
    Probably not the best decision but all he needs is one big pay day.
    If he follows the advice of the financial planner/advisor they are hiring he should be OK.
    I think it will be a big help that he will have a father and/or uncle staying with him at all times.
    They'll keep him on track and in line.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

He'll probably never know what the Pythagorean Theorem states... but apparently that doesn't effect basketball players too much.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

He's an athlete, it's not like he went to class anyway.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"C" wrote:
    He'll probably never know what the Pythagorean Theorem states... but apparently that doesn't effect basketball players too much.
    I don't remember anything I was taught following the 10th grade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast