Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Baseball is starting .. Who wins it all??

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    I don't know what you guys are thinking, but the Tigers are locks.
    If you're talking about lock to finish second in the Central...again, I believe the White Sox might give you a run for your money

key word as might. If all turns out as planned, Gary Sheffield will give us the fearsome middle-of-the-lineup hitter that will make our lineup rival the White Sox, and hopefully the Sox have pitching problems again.
    Did you feel that little breeze on the top of your head?

[color=red]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    There's only 1 REAL team in NY City, and that's the Mets babyyyyyy!
    Nice avatar
    8)

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Hopefully the TWINS baby!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"MensaTice" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    If you're talking about lock to finish second in the Central...again, I believe the White Sox might give you a run for your money

key word as might. If all turns out as planned, Gary Sheffield will give us the fearsome middle-of-the-lineup hitter that will make our lineup rival the White Sox, and hopefully the Sox have pitching problems again.
    Did you feel that little breeze on the top of your head?
    No, but obviously I missed something.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

hopefully the dodgers will continue to progess and get better. they have an amazing pitching staff

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

[img width=180 height=180]http://www.silveridge.com/images/clogo.gif[/img]

I BELIEVE!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I predict the Twins. (Of course) Any team with Santana, Mauer, Morneau and Nathan has a fighting chance to win it all.

Add to that one of, if not the best bullpens and now were are talking.
    If and this is a big IF, the pitching staff behind Johan Santana (Matt Garza and Boof Bonser) can step up we could/should contend for the Central again.

You also have to remember the wild card might not come from the Central.
    Reasoning is because everyone is gonna be tough and I think we will beat each other up some much that one of the puky east teams will come through.

With that said, here is what we have:

Catcher -
    Joe Mauer, and a backup that could potentially start for half of the teams in baseball, Mike Redmond. I read somewhere that Chris Heintz made the team also this year.

First Base - MVP, Justin Morneau. His batting average may come down a little, but I think his second half of 2006 is more indicative of what he’ll do this year.
    I would be happy if we see 40 HR, 115 RBI, and a batting average near .325. If Morneau gets
    hurt, it appears Cirillo might be the first choice but I would put a the local Tidewater hero (Mike Cuddyer) at first, as the team has much more outfield depth.

Second Base - Luis Castillo should put up another solid season.
    If not how long will it take Gardy to go to Alexi Casilla.

Third Base - Nick Punto opens 2007 as the unquestioned third baseman but Cirillo might take over at some point this season. Problem here is that this spot is normally a power position.
    Something Punto and
    Cirillo don't really provide but you can't argue about thier D.

Shortstop - Jason Bartlett's numbers last year (.307/.369/.393) after replacing Castro in June was a huge suprise.
    Hope he can do it again.
    Additionally he needs to stay healthy as we really don't have a true backup.
    Cirillo, and Luis Rodriguez could each see some time at short if Bartlett needs a rest. If he stays healthy and puts oup .290 with some additional improvement with the glove we should be ok.

Left Field - After a pathetic first half of 2006, Rondell White actually hit .321 and slugged .538 after the All-Star break. As many Twins fans point out, his defense is atrocious, but somehow Shannon Stewart and his noodle-arm seemed to get a free pass from the fans. Sure, it would be nice if he could DH full time, but for some reason, he can’t hit as well when he doesn’t play the field.
    Kubel and Tyner will do the backing-up here. I think I read some place that Lew Ford
    is starting the season on the DL.

Center Field - It’s a contract year for Torii Hunter, which means one thing: he’ll put up numbers.
    Backing up Hunter will be Jason Tyner, and I’d expect the Twins to take a good look at Denard Span in September - they’ll need to see whether they need to sign a cheap veteran to fill that spot in 2008. Watch for a bunch of chatter about July if we aren't doing so well about trades to a team that are in contention.

Right Field - Michael Cuddyer. He entered the everyday lineup in May and went .282/.364/.504 with 24 home runs. From all accounts from the local sportscasters down here he looked even better this spring. He strikes out quite a bit, so I think the average will drop to the .270 range, but he might make a run at 30 home runs. Kubel and Tyner are the backups here.

Designated Hitter - Ron Gardenhire has announced his plans to platoon Jason Kubel and Jeff Cirillo here. Cirillo killed lefties last year, to the tune of a .413/.451/.493 line. Jason Kubel is finally injury-free and gets a chance to prove himself. He’s been great when healthy. I would kinfo like to see him have a breakout year.

Starting Pitching - The rotation was officially announced yesterday:
    Johan Santana
    Boof Bonser
    Ramon Ortiz
    Carlos Silva
    Sidney Ponson

Matt Garza, Glen Perkins, and Kevin Slowey await in Rochester.

I think the first call-up will go to Perkins in late April, when the coaches get tired of watching to many home runs from Silva and Ponson. Garza will not get called until June because of some loophool called “super 2? or something like that regarding MLB’s arbitration system. I guess that keeps him from becoming a free agent until 2013. The move could cost the team badly this year, but could pay off greatly in the long run.

Bullpen - One of the best groups in baseball - Pat Neshek, Dennys Reyes, Jesse Crain, and Juan Rincon should all be dependable in front of Joe Nathan, who should top 40 saves for the third of four seasons in a Twins uniform. Matt Guerrier will be the long relief/mop-up guy.

Gotta win the Central.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:

[img width=180 height=180]http://www.silveridge.com/images/clogo.gif[/img]

I BELIEVE!

=Z=
    [img width=400 height=394]http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/cubs.jpg[/img]

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"MensaTice" wrote:

Your team has pitching problems!

At the end of last season your starting pitching faded from being over worked.

This year your starting pitchers are already having problems, the Gambler (Kenny Rogers) just had elbow surgery and is done until July or August if he makes it back at all.

Lock my butt-hole!

Twins!
    Division Champs!
    Cy Young Award winner!
    Batting Title award winner!
    MVP!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

"Mr" wrote:
    "tjohnson" wrote:
    obviously the red sox, best 1-2-3 pitchers in baseball, best 3-4 combo in baseball
    How can you call it the best 1-2-3 in baseball if Matsuzaka has never even played a regular season game? And the top 1 and 2 with an ERA of 4 and 5 respectively. Wakefield is the least consistent pitcher there is, because he's a knuckler, and I don't even know who their 5th man is....

Now, I'm not saying the Yankees have any better, but I certainly wouldn't say the Red Sox have the best 1-2-3. However, they do have the best 3-4 hitters..... too bad the Yankees have by far the best 1-9.

Damon, Jeter, Abreu, ARod, Giambi, Matsui, Cano, Posada, and Mientkiewicz. There is absolutely no comparison to that.

Pitching should be better than it is, but all of the 18-20 game winners we've brought in over the past few years have either been under 10 win guys, or on the DL all year.

If the Yankees pitching turns around, everyone else might as well just give up.
    all right, simply name a better 1-2-3 in baseball

p.s. how far did that offense carry you last playoffs when it was even better than it is this year? (when you had sheffield and giambi instead of giambi and mientkiewicz/phillips)

How do ya like them apples?!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast