Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Banning the A-11 offense is a bad idea

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    They didn't necessarily "ban" the offense.
    They just closed the loophole in the rules that the offense was exploiting.

Basically this offense did away with a traditional offensive line.
    Any of the 11 players were eligible to catch a pass before the snap because they lined up in a "kick formation" every time and every kid's jersey number was within a certain number range.

It is creative to be sure, and it was rather successful too, but this isn't an example of coming up with new formations that force defenses to adjust.
    It is an example of breaking the eligible reciever rules without actually breaking them.

There are reasons that we set rules for the number of eligible recievers, and the number of people on the line, etc.
    They are there for both safety and parity sake.
    Circumventing the rules by finding loopholes seems pretty Belichick-like to me.
    They're not breaking them?

[img width=450 height=300]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0811/pg2_diagram1_600.jpg[/img]
    To my knowledge, "R" and "E" are ineligible receivers.
    In a normal formation, yes.
    However, there was a loophole that allows all 11 players to be potentially eligible on what is known as a scrimmage-kick formation, if everyone is wearing numbers between 1-49 and 80-99.
    It is a stupid loophole, more or less inserted to make fake punts/onside kicks legle.

The loophole has since been removed.

I am on the same page as you, I think that they were exploiting a rule to create an unfair advantage.
    I am glad it was changed.
    Thanks NP, I kind of jumped the gun on that one. I saw the picture, but didn't read.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Any of the 11 players were eligible to catch a pass before the snap because they lined up in a "kick formation" every time and every kid's jersey number was within a certain number range.

It is creative to be sure, and it was rather successful too, but this isn't an example of coming up with new formations that force defenses to adjust.
    It is an example of breaking the eligible reciever rules without actually breaking them.

There are reasons that we set rules for the number of eligible recievers, and the number of people on the line, etc.

[img width=450 height=300]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0811/pg2_diagram1_600.jpg[/img]
    However, there was a loophole that allows all 11 players to be potentially eligible on what is known as a scrimmage-kick formation, if everyone is wearing numbers between 1-49 and 80-99.
    It is a stupid loophole, more or less inserted to make fake punts/onside kicks legle.

I am on the same page as you, I think that they were exploiting a rule to create an unfair advantage.
    Thanks NP, I kind of jumped the gun on that one. I saw the picture, but didn't read.

Eligible or not, could they not still run out of that formation?

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

They could, but it wouldn't be the strongest formation to run out of.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=50806.msg916937#msg916937 date=1236101599]

[/quote]

normally, no, but it depends on the team.
    Some high schools aren't very good, spread out the offense, and use the speed to find holes.
    I'm sure there are ways to get some yardage out of that.

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=50806.msg916969#msg916969 date=1236103198]

[/quote]

Some high schools aren't very good, spread out the offense, and use the speed to find holes.
    [/quote]

This is a hot topic on MOsports, but I am glad they banned it. Obviously I can see why some teams would run it, smaller schools with less linemen than athletes etc. I'm just glad it's gone. If I wanted to watch flag football formations I would go to a flag football game...

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=50806.msg916969#msg916969 date=1236103198]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    I can't really see it working from that formation.

You can essentially disregard R and E since they can't go down field and just blow up every play in the backfield.

They would really need to adjust the formation. 3 linemen is not enough to run with. It's basically 7 on 4 blocking in the box.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Can't resist anymore........... ;D

Which one is the #1, #2, and #3?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    LOL GRRR!!!!...

I got that as soon as you said it... they have more like a 1 thru 6....

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Can't resist anymore........... ;D

Which one is the #1, #2, and #3?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    LOL GRRR!!!!...

I got that as soon as you said it... they have more like a 1 thru 6....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12