ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Auto liability question

Hey, I just wanted to ask anyone who may know or have an opinion about this minor accident I was in yesterday.

I was driving in a parking lot lane towards the exit when a parked car a few feet away started backing up, I tried to swervebut I was too close when she started backing up and she backed up rather quickly.
    She ended up hitting the back-left side of my car (past the rear wheel) with the back left side of her car.
    She wants to settle without an inurance claim but is under the impression we are equally liable (as there are "special" rules for parking lots), when I contest that since she was backing out she is at fault since she should have checked for traffic before backing out.
    I have a bunch of scratched paint and a few small dents, and she has similar damage (though a little less bad)

I haven't filed a claim yet, nor reported it to the police.
    Does anyone have advice on how to proceed?
    Is it possible that the insurance could deem me partial at fault, or is the person backing up usually completely at fault?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Auto liability question

Generally, it is the responsibility of the person backing up who has the greatest duty. However, the person with frontal vision is considered to have the last clear chance to avoid the accident. Based on these conflicting rules, most of the time the insurance companies will decide that it is 50/50 liability.
    The insurance company will take statements from the drivers and then they will decide who was at fault and for what percent.

I got this from this site
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-Insurance-Claims-2055/

Thanks PPE for the Sig

Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Too bad Randy Moss doesn't frequent the site anymore, I recall a similar situation that he had involving a traffic cop.

But seriously folks.
    If she's trying to pay for half the damage and not get insurance involved I would report it unless you don't care that much about your car and would be happy with the cash and no chance of your rates going up.

If you tried to swerve/stop and she hit you you shouldn't be at fault, but that's common sense not the law.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-Insurance-Claims-2055/parking-lot-car-accident-2.htm

The link above is pretty good info, similar situation from what it sounds.

I always thought (apparently wrong) that parking lots were a no fault zone.

Good Luck IS!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I would file a claim no matter who is at fault.
    Protects you from other things that might come down the pipe later.
    Did you have a police report done?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

No police report yet, though I may end up doing that later tonight or tomorrow, the person who hit me wants to settle out of insurance, so we'll see if that works out.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I was backing out of a driveway and got him by a car. I thought it was my fault but the officer told me if I was more than 1/2 way out of my driveway when I was hit it was the other car's fault because they could have avoided the accident.
    Seems strange but their insurance paid for fixing my car.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    No police report yet, though I may end up doing that later tonight or tomorrow, the person who hit me wants to settle out of insurance, so we'll see if that works out.
    I think there is a law that if there is damage over a certain amount you are required to file a police report.
    I think for sure you should call your insurance company because if she is saying it is not all her fault then she will not want to for your car. It sounds to me from where she hit you that it would be all her fault anyway. You will still have to pay your deductable though.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Report it, that's what insurance is for.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

But I wouldn't report it, because odds are his insurance rates will go up.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!