Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,569

    Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    JACKSON, Mo. - Curtis Lemons was supposed to report for jury duty in a drunk driving case. Instead, according to authorities, the 50-year-old Cape Girardeau man skipped the jury duty so he could drink himself.

    Lemons received a summons to appear as a prospective juror in the case. When he didn't show up on Monday, a bailiff called his house. Lemons told the bailiff he was too busy to come to court.

    Associate Circuit Judge Scott Thomsen instructed officers to bring Lemons to the courthouse. Deputies say they detected a strong odor of alcohol on him. Lemons was held in custody while the DWI trial went on............
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081007/ap_on_fe_st/juror_intoxication

  2. #2
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    We're bringing purple back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "gregair13" wrote:
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?

  4. #4
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?
    It is random and part of your civic duty as a citizen.
    We're bringing purple back.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?
    It is random and part of your civic duty as a citizen.
    ohh. thanks for explaining that to me... i hope i dont get it then haha

  6. #6
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?
    It is random and part of your civic duty as a citizen.
    ohh. thanks for explaining that to me... i hope i dont get it then haha
    First you have to get called for it, and then it is another length process before actually becoming someone on the jury. Lawyers have a selection process to pick jury members that they think will give the best result for their client (guilty or nonguilty depending on which lawyer they are)
    We're bringing purple back.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?
    It is random and part of your civic duty as a citizen.
    ohh. thanks for explaining that to me... i hope i dont get it then haha
    First you have to get called for it, and then it is another length process before actually becoming someone on the jury. Lawyers have a selection process to pick jury members that they think will give the best result for their client (guilty or nonguilty depending on which lawyer they are)
    wow. sounds like they must have a long proccess to do that then

  8. #8
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    "SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    [quote author=gregair13 link=topic=48398.msg849264#msg849264 date=1223425390]
    Smart guy. If I ever get jury duty, this is how I plan to get out of it
    how do you get on jury duty?
    It is random and part of your civic duty as a citizen.
    ohh. thanks for explaining that to me... i hope i dont get it then haha
    First you have to get called for it, and then it is another length process before actually becoming someone on the jury. Lawyers have a selection process to pick jury members that they think will give the best result for their client (guilty or nonguilty depending on which lawyer they are)
    wow. sounds like they must have a long proccess to do that then
    [/quote]
    Yup. If you really want to know more, but do not like to read, I would suggest download a couple episodes of Justice. This was a fox show that got cancelled but it showed a great job of behind the scenes at high profile court cases.
    We're bringing purple back.

  9. #9
    Vikestand's Avatar
    Vikestand is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    801

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    LMAO...This happened 30 minutes from my hometown....


    By Pack93z

    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    Re: Authorities say man skipped jury duty to drink

    See, I think this guy fucked up. You don't skip it so that you can drink; you get drunk so that you have the patience to show up and sit through it! [size=6pt]By the way, if any state bar ever asks, I never wrote this.[/size]


    What I think is really strange, though, is that Missouri tells you in advance the kind of case to which you'll be assigned. I've never heard of a state doing that.

Similar Threads

  1. Jury duty excuses could bring charges
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 05:55 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 09:35 PM
  3. Droughns turns himself in to authorities
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
  4. Marijuana gumballs have authorities on alert
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 11:24 PM
  5. Man Says He's on Heroin to Avoid Jury Duty
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 05:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •