Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    owensforpres is offline Pro-Bowler

Are Athletes Overpaid?

i say the ones who whine about someone else gettin paid more and they want a trade or more money are overpaid. c'mon i'd be happy sittin in the bench for a couple mil a yr

i paint nudes
    699966daa73d890a9f6ec440ad82bccc

Are Athletes Overpaid?

los and VKG,
    I appreciate the fact that you are teachers...probably a thankless job and yes you probably are underpaid. Seeing how you are both teachers here in wisconsin maybe you will agree with me when I say that teachers here need to be held accountable for their job performance. I propose that the teachers salary be such that it attracts people that might otherwise go to the private sector in search of more money with the caveat being that if the teachers performance is subpar then the teacher gets fired. the teachers union in wisconsin is pretty strong and it seems like it takes an act of God to get one terminated. If you can't do your job in the private sector they will find someone who can and I think that teachers need to be held to the same standards.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Wow, vikefan, you are really close to me. I teach in Brown Deer and live in Slinger/West Bend area! Small world.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Yeah we are pretty close...whenever I am going through your neck of the woods I like to keep an eye out for the "VKG 4 LFE" plate. If a shady looking charecter ever honks and waves at you it might be me.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I'm a teacher so I am going to totally disagree with you on this one!! I don't know about you, but when I was in school when it came around May when it was starting to get nice outside my mind was anywhere but school. Kids have a hard enough time focusing when it is cold outside, when it is summertime, they need to be outside and out of school. Plus there is the burn out factor. You can only take so much of sitting in a desk in a classroom for hours at a time. You're only gonna soak up so much. Year round school is not the answer to me.

Maybe their mind is not on school because they know in a short time that the summer break starts? By the time school starts up again how much have they forgotten, how long does it take to get the students back into it, a month, 6 weeks.

And being that you are a teacher you might not have an unbiased view, It would be your summer that is taken away also.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"owensforpres" wrote:
    i say the ones who whine about someone else gettin paid more and they want a trade or more money are overpaid. c'mon i'd be happy sittin in the bench for a couple mil a yr

i paint nudes
    Send me a painting of your favorite nude model...and it had better be a female!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

I vote for shorter summer breaks, but longer winter, spring and fall breaks...breaks just long enough to recharge the batteries but not too long that the students and teachers lose their edge. Still only 180 school days a year, but spread out more. Also, make the school day longer to correspond more to the workday of the parents...no need to lengthen the class days, just make the added time study hall time...that way the students actually have time blocked out to do their homework...the teachers wouldn't have to hang around, you could hire other people to be study hall monitors (maybe college students who want to make a few extra bucks while in school). If many parents are abdicating their responsibilities at home with homework supervision, then the schools should pick up the slack.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    LOL

As they say, you can choose to do the work you love, or choose to make money.

I chose to do the work I love. But if Shockzilla's gonna pass a law to pay me for the two hours of work I do each night AFTER my eight hours a day, as well as the 2 weeks or so I put in unpaid through the summer, I'm not going to argue much.

I'd write more, but it's 5:30, and I have to go correct papers. Funny how the McDonald's worker doesn't have to keep flipping burgers after his shift is done... :-)
    Lemme just say that I don't mean to offend any teacher on the board, and maybe it is different in the United States than it is in Canada, but I really do believe what I have said.

It's a common misconception teacher's have that their's is the only job that has unpaid overtime or requires you to do work WITHOUT being on the clock. Most do in fact. While they gripe about the time it requires to come up with lesson plans and correcting tests there is an engineer under the gun to get a project done in the next two weeks. Usually the only people who don't are shift workers as you stated, and they do not make up the majority of the qualified workforce.

Starting teachers make around $50,000 a year up here. To my knowledge that is a considerable amount of money for someone with no work experience, and alot considering time off. combine that with the fact that every two years or so it seems like the threaten to strike unless they get a 7 percent raise a year or something. When I was in grade twelve I had to learn Calculus in 2 months because of a teacher's strike and have to write provincial exams wit 2 months less instruction time.

Teachers up here are protected by unions, for every 1 great teacher I have had with a passion for teaching there are 10 who just show up write out the textbook on the chalkboard and hand out regular tests/assignments, even at the university level.

You chose your career path and are responsible for realizing the pay and/or job market for your particular decision. If you chose to be a teacher for reasons other than money, I commend you, I probably couldn't choose a career that doesn't pay better , but that is my value system.

Teacher's CAN make a difference, but are generally not paid based on performance. For those who do, you need a portion of the other teachers salary.

BTW you can "make a difference" with most jobs with human contact.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Is the cost of living higher in Canada Itallion? Maybe things are different in Canada (well obviously they are if they start out at 50Gs a year). My dad has been a teacher for 25 years, with his masters degree and he makes about 65Gs a year. He is at the highest step on the ladder (teacher lingo) and the only pay increase he can get now is for cost of living.

I'm sorry that I took offense to what you had said previously, it just struck a cord with me! I have no problem with you (or anyone else for that matter) stating what you think or believe.

I definitely did not go into teaching for the money (no teacher does), but teaching is not as easy as everybody thinks it is. It just pisses me off when people say that teaching is the easiest job and that anybody could do. I don't think that is true, you have to have the right mentality and really have to know how to work with kids (anywhere from 15 to 30 at a time, in a relatively small space!)

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    LOL

As they say, you can choose to do the work you love, or choose to make money.

I chose to do the work I love. But if Shockzilla's gonna pass a law to pay me for the two hours of work I do each night AFTER my eight hours a day, as well as the 2 weeks or so I put in unpaid through the summer, I'm not going to argue much.

I'd write more, but it's 5:30, and I have to go correct papers. Funny how the McDonald's worker doesn't have to keep flipping burgers after his shift is done... :-)

AMEN :salute:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345