Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:

Teachers are worth $100,000 a year easy.
    <----heading up the "Shockzilla for President in 2004" campaign.

"Looking for a Presidential Thrilla? Just hang your chad for SHOCKZILLA!"
    I'am in, and would help staff foreign relations :wink:

But after reading some great posts I had to put in a differant thought :-k maybe we those who played sports as young ones are upset that we didn't keep with it :idea: or have some of the talent that was gifted too some of those who play proffessional sports, :scratch: those who take the pain and suffering that they do (unless we are talking about "Golf") thats why they make the big bucks...of course someone said in the posts made "it all about supply and demand" if we the fans did not demand it they would not supply it :-s just a differant thought but look at arena football that went over worse than a lead ballon :sunny:

I vote for ya SHOCKZILLA

P.S. JACKYL DUDE COOL SIG
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Del Rio Guest

Are Athletes Overpaid?

I just don't see them as overpaid. They generate the money by playing and therefore they should partake in it. If a janitor had fans and poeple payed to watch him mop, and bought his jerseys, his collectibles then he would be entitled to the profit as well.

You can't really force an owner to distribute his money where you would like it to go, and the fact remains the money is there.

In essence the taxes that these multimillion dollar TEAMS, and PLAYERS, as well as OWNERS must be an ungodly ammount and that could alone be used to increase teachers pay or what not but that doesn't fall on the players or owners it falls on your government.

So they contribute to society through taxes but your government leaders aren't spending it the way you would like.

What would happen if fans went on strike? If you had a way to communicate the strike to all fans keeping them from buying tickets, and jerseys and such don't you think the prices would drop?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

The fans need to form a UNION, like the Players Union. Then we would have some power.

HA HA very funny Snow

Jimmy Jumps High
    Jimmy likes Elaine, likes Elaine a lot.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Someone please tell me how teachers are worth 100, 000 a year? You get summer off and I could basically step in with my "no degree yet" and do exactly the same kind of job a K-12 teacher does. I have to quote Jack Black on this one:

"Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, teach gym."

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Del Rio Guest

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Well because they have to put up with kids that are assholes all day long. They have to try and maintain the attention of kids that could care less. The teaching isn't hard, but I sure as hell wouldn't want that job.

But teachers make money respective to where they teach. You teach 1st grade at a local school you get paid less then a teacher at Yale. Also teachers get paid more by what degree they have. You have a masters you get paid more, a doctorate you get paid more.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well because they have to put up with kids that are assholes all day long. They have to try and maintain the attention of kids that could care less. The teaching isn't hard, but I sure as hell wouldn't want that job.

But teachers make money respective to where they teach. You teach 1st grade at a local school you get paid less then a teacher at Yale. Also teachers get paid more by what degree they have. You have a masters you get paid more, a doctorate you get paid more.
    Obviously, but profs at universities actually make decent money, which is reflective of the qualification required to do their job. K-12 subject matter is basic, and shouldn't even require a degree.

It's just my opinion the Teachers are glorified babysitters, and although I wouldn't neccesarily want the job, I also wouldn't want to work at McDonalds, but I don't think anyone feels they should make 100, 000 a year. That would make for some expensive happy meals.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Del Rio Guest

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Well flipping burgers and babysitting your 15 year old son that was raised by TV are two different things.

I know teachers are underpaid. I don't know they should all make 100,000. But there are some damn good teachers out there that I remember learning a lot from. If people want to cry about wages and who deserves what take a look at the government and realize that people who do the same job outside the "man" get paid about half of what government employee's do

Plus I read an article teachers buy supplies out of there own money in some states :shock:

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well flipping burgers and babysitting your 15 year old son that was raised by TV are two different things.

I know teachers are underpaid. I don't know they should all make 100,000. But there are some damn good teachers out there that I remember learning a lot from. If people want to cry about wages and who deserves what take a look at the government and realize that people who do the same job outside the "man" get paid about half of what government employee's do

Plus I read an article teachers buy supplies out of there own money in some states :shock:
    But we get to deduct on our taxes up to $200 dollars of what we buy for our classrooms!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Someone please tell me how teachers are worth 100, 000 a year? You get summer off and I could basically step in with my "no degree yet" and do exactly the same kind of job a K-12 teacher does. I have to quote Jack Black on this one:

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He says the problem with teachers is, “What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?” He reminds the other dinner guests that it’s true what they say about teachers: Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach.

I decide to bite my tongue instead of his and resist the temptation to remind the dinner guests that it’s also true what they say about lawyers.

Because we’re eating, after all, and this is polite company.

“I mean, you’re a teacher, Los,” he says. “Be honest. What do you make?”

And I wish he hadn’t done that (asked me to be honest) because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and ass-kicking: if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face. How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence. No, you may not work in groups.
    No, you may not ask a question.
    Why won’t I let you get a drink of water?
    Because you’re not thirsty, you’re bored, that’s why.

I make parents tremble in fear when I call home:
    I hope I haven’t called at a bad time,
    I just wanted to talk to you about something Billy said today.
    Billy said, “Leave the kid alone. I still cry sometimes, don’t you?”
    And it was the noblest act of courage I have ever seen.

I make parents see their children for who they are and what they can be.

I make kids wonder,

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful over and over and over again until they will never misspell either one of those words again.

I make them show all their work in math.

And hide it on their final drafts in English.

I make them understand that if you got this (brains)
    then you follow this (heart)
    and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you give them this (the finger).

Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:
    I make a goddamn difference! What about you?
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He says the problem with teachers is, “What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?” He reminds the other dinner guests that it’s true what they say about teachers: Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach.

I decide to bite my tongue instead of his and resist the temptation to remind the dinner guests that it’s also true what they say about lawyers.

Because we’re eating, after all, and this is polite company.

“I mean, you’re a teacher, Los,” he says. “Be honest. What do you make?”

And I wish he hadn’t done that (asked me to be honest) because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and ass-kicking: if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face. How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence. No, you may not work in groups.
    No, you may not ask a question.
    Why won’t I let you get a drink of water?
    Because you’re not thirsty, you’re bored, that’s why.

I make parents tremble in fear when I call home:
    I hope I haven’t called at a bad time,
    I just wanted to talk to you about something Billy said today.
    Billy said, “Leave the kid alone. I still cry sometimes, don’t you?”
    And it was the noblest act of courage I have ever seen.

I make parents see their children for who they are and what they can be.

I make kids wonder,

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful over and over and over again until they will never misspell either one of those words again.

I make them show all their work in math.

I make them understand that if you got this (brains)
    and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you give them this (the finger).

Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:
    I make a goddamn difference! What about you?

Los, :shock: You Kind sir are one of the most fantastic people I have had the honor to say I know :salute:

Thank you and all those who keep on

make kids wonder,

make them question.

make them criticize.

make them apologize and mean it.

make them write.

make them read, read, read.

make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful over and over and over again until they will never misspell either one of those words again.

make them show all their work in math.

make them understand that if you got this (brains)

really to all those on this board who slave over a hot class room and and and...
    :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

P.S. THANK YOU ALL
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast