Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    If they shouldn't get paid that much what do you suggest the owners do with all the money that is made?
    Lower the prices on everything in all the stadiums!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Players are only paid what we are willing to pay to see them. Standard supply and demand.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Players salaries are based on the profitability of the league/teams. Supply and demand dictates ticket prices, and Television contracts. Rather than the owners making all the money, players should, and do, get their fair share. The players (and players unions), however, have to be reasonable in their demands. Revenue sharing and salary caps are good for the league. Without it you have a couple of teams buying championships, and the rest of the teams serving as a minor league system. The NFL is the only league smart enough to recognize this and do something about it. MLB has made a few changes, but not enough. It's controlled by a few rich owners who like it the way it is. The NHL doesn't have the big television contracts, so the players can't expect to be paid like the NFL, MLB and NBA.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

What drives me nuts is when the NBA players were saying that their contract do not affect the fans.

Well when you go to an NBA game and tickets, a place to park, and a couple of bears runs you $250 then that is affecting the average fan. When a jersey cost $85.00 and a baseball cap is $28.00 that is affecting the fans, and it has gotten out of hand.

Then you have players that whine about making $17,000,000.00 (Sprewell) a season, saying he can not feed his family? What an insult to the average fan!

When Kevin Garnett signed his previous contract for $120,000,000.00 I figured out how long somebody that makes $50,000.00 (about the national average) a year in income would have to work to make that much money, it would take 2,400 years.

If you were alive when Christ was born and making that much money you would still have another 400 years to go.

Over paid?

The NFL compared to the other leagues have kept the salaries somewhat in check but Baseball, Basketball and Hockey have gone over the deep end.

The Yankees $190,000,000.00 payroll and Boston's $185,000,000.00 are what is wrong with pro sports. The Yankees starting infield makes more than the Twins entire club.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Are Athletes Overpaid?

there are some cases where yes they're over paid, but on the whole I say no.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

Absolutely they are over paid.

By the same token, we overpay for all of the tickets, clothing, and memorabilia so it's our own stupid fault.

Owners are in it for the money mostly (Like Asslick McCombs). While it would nbe NICE to see lower prices on clothes, tickets, concessions, parking, and related team stuff, I doubt very highly that we would ever see it. Any reduction is salary would simply see the owners lining their own pockets.

Let's face it, it's no longer just a sport, it's now a business. Businesses are run to make money...not to cater to fans and make sure that they are part of the total package. They ONLY cater to us for our $$$$...and it's all lip service anyway.

I hate it when some athlete spews about "doing it for the fans", or ownership does, or agents, etc. If they REALLY wanted to do something for the fans, lower the friggin' prices.

How about stadiums? Are you telling me that an NFL franchise can't secure the funds for a stadium? OF COURSE THEY CAN. But they'd rather have US shell out so they don't have to...and we do...time after time.

It's not about the game, my friends...it's all about the dollars.

Caine

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Are Athletes Overpaid?

It's the dolla' dolla' bill ya'll! (sorry I just had to throw some of my gangsta' talk in there!)

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"shockzilla" wrote:

Teachers are worth $100,000 a year easy.
    <----heading up the "Shockzilla for President in 2004" campaign.

"Looking for a Presidential Thrilla? Just hang your chad for SHOCKZILLA!"
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    It's the dolla' dolla' bill ya'll! (sorry I just had to throw some of my gangsta' talk in there!)
    It feels so good ta be a gangsta! :rr:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Are Athletes Overpaid?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:

Teachers are worth $100,000 a year easy.
    <----heading up the "Shockzilla for President in 2004" campaign.

"Looking for a Presidential Thrilla? Just hang your chad for SHOCKZILLA!"
    For realla!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast