Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Astronomers on verge of finding Earth's twin

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    meh.

All of the extra solar planets they have found so far have been at least the size of Uranus <insert joke here>.
    The possibility exists that we will have the technology to find planets closer to Earth's size in the next decade, but even then, the idea of Earth's "twin" is pretty far off.
    Mars and Venus, for instance, would both be considered "Earth sized", but neither one is capable of sustaining any life.

What scientists are looking for specifically if a rocky, earth sized planet inside the relatively tiny zone around its sun known as the sweet spot - close enough not to freeze, but no so close that it boils.
    That would definately excite the scientific community.
    Add to that the (un)likelihood that a proper atmosphere would be found there to trap the right amount of heat to sustain life, and likewise has the right amount of oxygen (and other gases).
    At the same time hope that there is a huge planet like Jupiter, with its massive gravity, orbiting properly so as to intercept comets and asteroids that otherwise would completely destroy life every so often.
    imo, Earth is a rare jewel in space that likely is only found once every 10,000 light years, if that.
    Only a conveniently placed traversable wormhole would make it possible to reach a similar planet that has the ability to sustain life (within a person's lifetime)..., and even then, what's the likelihood that "intelligent" life would exist there?
    Without man, how many of earths species would you consider truly intelligent?
    jmo's, but it's fun to ponder.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"SKOL" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    meh.

All of the extra solar planets they have found so far have been at least the size of Uranus <insert joke here>.
    The possibility exists that we will have the technology to find planets closer to Earth's size in the next decade, but even then, the idea of Earth's "twin" is pretty far off.
    Mars and Venus, for instance, would both be considered "Earth sized", but neither one is capable of sustaining any life.

What scientists are looking for specifically if a rocky, earth sized planet inside the relatively tiny zone around its sun known as the sweet spot - close enough not to freeze, but no so close that it boils.
    That would definately excite the scientific community.
    Add to that the (un)likelihood that a proper atmosphere would be found there to trap the right amount of heat to sustain life, and likewise has the right amount of oxygen (and other gases).
    At the same time hope that there is a huge planet like Jupiter, with its massive gravity, orbiting properly so as to intercept comets and asteroids that otherwise would completely destroy life every so often.
    imo, Earth is a rare jewel in space that likely is only found once every 10,000 light years, if that.
    Only a conveniently placed traversable wormhole would make it possible to reach a similar planet that has the ability to sustain life (within a person's lifetime)..., and even then, what's the likelihood that "intelligent" life would exist there?
    Without man, how many of earths species would you consider truly intelligent?
    jmo's, but it's fun to ponder.

+1

Very good grasp of the reality of it Skol.
    Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?
    The sheer odds dictate that there is.
    Will mankind every find it?
    The sheer odds dictate no.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Guys first off I don't think there is reason to ever travel to another earth like planet, commincate? Maybe. As far as Mankind finding it I would sit back and enjoy the reality of Science and Technology and how fast it is moving along supressed! Ladies and Gentleman we has humans are not even done evolving and we already have so much, just give it 20 more years and you just might be shocked at what has become. Never underestimate the Human ability especailly in the future. The new concousness will never take "NO" for an answer, we will strive to know everything about life and the ever expanding universe. ManKind will know all.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

A solar system around each star. 100 billion stars in a galaxy. 100 billion galaxies in the universe.

There is most definitely intelligent life out there IMO.

Before you read on, read this.

Not only organisms evolve, so do planets, elements, everything changes.

And about their being atmospheric conditions capable of supporting life as we know it, they can definitely exist.
    Everything in the universe was created from the same shit, hydrogen and helium.
    All this hydrogen and helium was floating around the atmosphere, when they came together, in some cases temperature and pressure got high enough for some serious reactions, nuclear fusion to be precise. Through these reactions the helium atoms were melded into heavier atoms, such as carbon were formed. I think it's called stellarnucleosynthesis or something crazy like that, learned about it in my physics class last semester.

The Earth is no different, it was a product of exploded stars, earth is mostly iron I believe, so a lot of stuff got all drawn together to form the planet.

The atmosphere didn't form til well after the planet itself. The early atmosphere was all helium and hydrogen, but the earth couldn't hold it. The gases were too light for earth's gravity to control. It wasn't until the core of the Earth was split into the solid and liquid cores, producing the earth's magnetic field, shielding it from solar forces like solar winds and radiation. This shield allowed Earth's gravity to hold in the hydrogen and helium.

So once we started with our hydrogen and helium it started to accelerate, through outgassing or degassing the other gases were released from the ground into the sky. This is what produced the early atmosphere. At this point, after degassing we had h20(Water vapor), sulfur, ammonia, methane, nitrogen, chlorine, and a few others I can't remember(I think I've done a damn good job remember considering I only got a C in the class lmao).

Note the bolded above. As the Earth cooled, that atmospheric h20 took liquid form, creating the oceans.

Then life started to form, single celled prokaryotes, the simplest of all organisms, bacteria formed.

With life, came oxygen. Photosynthesis uses CO2 for energy, producing oxygen. This oxygen was released to the atmosphere, and eventually got the atmosphere up to 21% free oxygen.

Once there was oxygen life continued to evolve until we are where we are today.

Like I said earlier, it all started with hydrogen and helium.

And in this vast universe I'm sure there is another spot where they came together the right way to form life.

However, those places may still not be evolved enough yet for us to know there is life.

I hope you all learned something new there
    ;D

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    A solar system around each star. 100 billion stars in a galaxy. 100 billion galaxies in the universe.

And about their being atmospheric conditions capable of supporting life as we know it, they can definitely exist.
    Everything in the universe was created from the same pooh, hydrogen and helium.
    All this hydrogen and helium was floating around the atmosphere, when they came together, in some cases temperature and pressure got high enough for some serious reactions, nuclear fusion to be precise. Through these reactions the helium atoms were melded into heavier atoms, such as carbon were formed. I think it's called stellarnucleosynthesis or something crazy like that, learned about it in my physics class last semester.

The Earth is no different, it was a product of exploded stars, earth is mostly iron I believe, so a lot of stuff got all drawn together to form the planet.

The atmosphere didn't form til well after the planet itself. The early atmosphere was all helium and hydrogen, but the earth couldn't hold it. The gases were too light for earth's gravity to control. It wasn't until the core of the Earth was split into the solid and liquid cores, producing the earth's magnetic field, shielding it from solar forces like solar winds and radiation. This shield allowed Earth's gravity to hold in the hydrogen and helium.

So once we started with our hydrogen and helium it started to accelerate, through outgassing or degassing the other gases were released from the ground into the sky. This is what produced the early atmosphere. At this point, after degassing we had h20(Water vapor), sulfur, ammonia, methane, nitrogen, chlorine, and a few others I can't remember(I think I've done a gol 'darnit good job remember considering I only got a C in the class lmao).

Note the bolded above. As the Earth cooled, that atmospheric h20 took liquid form, creating the oceans.

Then life started to form, single celled prokaryotes, the simplest of all organisms, bacteria formed.

With life, came oxygen. Photosynthesis uses CO2 for energy, producing oxygen. This oxygen was released to the atmosphere, and eventually got the atmosphere up to 21% free oxygen.

And in this vast universe I'm sure there is another spot where they came together the right way to form life.

However, those places may still not be evolved enough yet for us to know there is life.

;D
    Post of the Year. Very good peice of imformation everyone should read this carefully. I know I definitly missed out on that class. Science is finding more out as we go along and as communication and technology get even better so does our knowledge.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:

So once we started with our hydrogen and helium it started to accelerate, through outgassing or degassing the other gases were released from the ground into the sky. This is what produced the early atmosphere. At this point, after degassing we had h20(Water vapor), sulfur, ammonia, methane, nitrogen, chlorine, and a few others I can't remember(I think I've done a damn good job remember considering I only got a C in the class lmao).

;D

One Question Mr. A and Nodak,

Where did Concrete come into the picture?

;D
    You know me, I just had to ask....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

;D

One Question Mr. A and Nodak,

Where did Concrete come into the picture?

;D

You know me, I just had to ask....
    What do you mean Ned?

As far as I know concrete is just aggragate, ash, and lime, or at least thjat was the old recipe. It's probably different chemicals and stuff to make it cheaper and easier now though.

I'm pretty sure it was the Romans who invented it.

Does that answer your question?

Great thread! Backyard astronomer myself! ;D (K-mart telescpe) and love the theorizing. "Contact" is one of my favorite movies.
    Tuco the world.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12