Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashes '05

Del Rio Guest

Re: Ashes '05

I read somewhere that cricket is a very dangerous sport what makes it this way. Isn't it like baseball only they bounce the ball 100 miles an hour?

I'm serious if you have time just summarize the sport, doesn't need to be in depth.

vikingTurf Guest

"ranasrule" wrote:
    i agree with the thread starter....for the first time in a very long time the ASHES are fun to watch again.....australia look washed up while england look like they are ready to emerge as a major force
    Yeah I have never seen England so forceful and confident, when playing the aussies. Hopefully the missed opportunity to beat them in last test won't come back to bite them as far as the series goes.

vikingTurf Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I read somewhere that cricket is a very dangerous sport what makes it this way. Isn't it like baseball only they bounce the ball 100 miles an hour?

I'm serious if you have time just summarize the sport, doesn't need to be in depth.
    It's somewhat similar to baseball, objective is to hit the ball bowled(pitched) to you with a flat bat and score runs. Unlike baseball, you have to bowl(pitch) the ball in a way that it bounces off the ground and reaches the batsman. The highest recorded speed i think is in mid 90s Miles an hour I think. The cricket is round or oval, you play in middle of it on 22 yards long strip of special section(called pitch). You have two batsmen on both ends of the pitch, you hit the ball and if you think you have enough time to reach the other end while the fielder is retreating the ball back to the stumps, you take away for a run and the batsman from other end faces the bowler(pitcher) now. Of course if you take two runs(like double in baseball) you are back to face the bowler. If you hit the ball out f the boundary(homerun) its 6 runs and if you cross the boundary along the ground its 4 runs. Just like baseball you can be caught out, run out(thrown out in baseball), bowled(you totall miss the ball and it hits the stumps, kind of like strike out), or Leg before wicket(the ball hits your leg when your leg is directly in front of the stumps).
    Each team has 11 players, you get only one chance to bat, if you are out thats it, it's upto the remaining batsmen. Team A scores say 90, then team B sets out to bat needing 91 to win in a specified number of overs(1 over = 6 pitches)/

ranasrule is offline Rookie

"Del Rio" wrote:

well one reason that cricket is more dangerous than baseball is that there is no penalty for hitting the batsmen when the bowler is bowling to him .(bowler= pitcher, batsmen= batter, bowling=pitching)....also here is a nice summary of the rules of the great game http://www.allworldknowledge.com/cricket/

Del Rio Guest

Sounds pretty fun, I'm going to have to read up on it. I think I remember something about leg injuries or something from being hit, but any way thanks.

I just barely started getting into Lacrosse, only because my cousin plays for University of Utah. That sport is crazy to me but pretty damn entertaining.

ranasrule is offline Rookie

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "ranasrule" wrote:
    i agree with the thread starter....for the first time in a very long time the ASHES are fun to watch again.....australia look washed up while england look like they are ready to emerge as a major force
    Yeah I have never seen England so forceful and confident, when playing the aussies. Hopefully the missed opportunity to beat them in last test won't come back to bite them as far as the series goes.
    yeah the only thing england seem to be lackin is experience in pressure cooker situations.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    Cajun
    Maybe you can open your eyes a little more and look at it from a Global perspective.
    i thought we had vikings fans from around the globe here, not only from Minnnesota.......if you find this stuff over your head maybe you should stop wasting your time reading the thread
    Perhaps you missed the laughing smiley at the end of my post! It means that I am only teasing you...trust me, I look at everything from a global perspective (since my firm represents clients all over the world). You will soon learn the different personalities on this board...until then, just keep trying to keep up with the rest of us, rook! :lol: (note laughing smiley once again)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingTurf Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Cajun
    Maybe you can open your eyes a little more and look at it from a Global perspective.
    i thought we had vikings fans from around the globe here, not only from Minnnesota.......if you find this stuff over your head maybe you should stop wasting your time reading the thread
    Perhaps you missed the laughing smiley at the end of my post! It means that I am only teasing you...trust me, I look at everything from a global perspective (since my firm represents clients all over the world). You will soon learn the different personalities on this board...until then, just keep trying to keep up with the rest of us, rook! :lol: (note laughing smiley once again)
    Sorry about the misinterpretation.... :grin:

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    I must say this ashes series has been one of the most exciting test series in a long time, although i really don't care who wins, it would be nice to see aussies finally giving way to England.

Nice enough start for england in the 4th test...
    *chirping* *more chirping* *deafening amount of chirping*

Wrong sport, wrong country! :lol:
    OO I get it. Cricket. The sport. And crickets. Chirping!!!

I think cajun is just a lot smarter than all of us. :lol:

Thanks PPE for the sig.

English Vike is offline Starter

haha! funny thread, cricket is a great sport, although i can understand when people dont like it, it's like baseball also in the sense that its a little slow moving and takes a longgg time (one game can last 5 days!) but its a brilliant thing, hell i love all sport, and i see no reason why we shouldnt talk about any here, i spend enough time trying to convert my friends to nfl by going on and on about it when they dont have a clue what im talking about it, i'm all for spreading the word, of any sport.

ps freddy flintoff for king.

i thought i'd stick a couple of pictures here, here's one of cricket, it's actually a screenshot from a computer game but it was the best photo i could find that does some kind of job of showing what the real game is about, look here http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/gnjd_85/cricket.jpg

the bowler (like a pitcher) throws the ball in a strange way towards the 3 bits of wood sticking up in the air that you say behind the batsman, those bits of wood are called the wicket, which is kind of like a solid strike zone the bowler is trying to hit. the batsman then has to hit it, and run, and instead of running around like in baseball him and the other batsman you can see from the same team in red standing near the bowler run up and down and get a run (point) for each time they get to the end, before the fielding team get the ball back to the wicket. like baseball it gets a lot more complicated than that, but thats the basic idea.

and here's a picture of the current star of the england cricket team, Andrew 'Freddy' Flintoff.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/gnjd_85/flintoff.jpg

widen your sporting horizons! i follow and watch on tv regularly in no particular order...

football (x 2, one for 'soccer' and one for nfl!),rugby,tennis,cricket,golf,baseball,basketbal l,track and field and cycling

most of those sports i go and watch live sometimes as well, apart from the american ones which i've never had a chance to yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast