Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashes '05

vikingTurf Guest

Re: Ashes '05

Sorry, I should have mentioned the word "cricket" at least once.....yeah we can see the matches live here in the US on Directv but its prettty expensive. So i just follow the live internet audio commentary on BBC.

For those of you(most of you i should say) that don't know why it's called ashes, the series is named after a burnt piece of bail(cricketing accessory made out of wood), it was burnt after a test match between AUs and England some 100 yrs back, they still have the actual burnt piece preserved somewhere in England. So this piece of wood is the actual TROPHY for this tournament, but of course its too fragile to move back and forth between Australia and England, they have a replica trophy that the winning team gets at the end of the series..............maybe Anglo can help me out here regading the history part and the whole burning of the bail..

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    I must say this ashes series has been one of the most exciting test series in a long time, although i really don't care who wins, it would be nice to see aussies finally giving way to England.

Nice enough start for england in the 4th test...
    *chirping* *more chirping* *deafening amount of chirping*

Wrong sport, wrong country! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Originally England lost a Test Match to the Australians in 1882 from a position of near victory - the newspapers of the day took it very badly with one writing

In Affectionate Remembrance of English Cricket Which Died At The Oval on 29th August 1882
    Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances
    R.I.P
    NB: The body will be cremated, and the ashes taken to Australia.

The English went back to Australia in 1883 and gained revenge. The English captain during his stay in Sydney for the third test was billeted at the home of the Fletcher family in the suburb of Woollahra. On his return to the Fletcher home from the after match celebrations, it was suggested by Annie Fletcher she should make a velvet bag in which Bligh could store the "imaginary" Ashes of English cricket, Bligh agreed with Annie's suggestion. Annie promptly made a beautiful brown velvet bag with the year 1883 embroidered on the front in gold thread, she presented this bag to Bligh, who accepted it with great thanks and appreciation of her efforts.

After his departure from Sydney, Bligh traveled to Melbourne where he met a lady named Florence Morphy, and after showing her the bag which he had been presented with in Sydney, Ms Morphy and several friends decided it was not a grand enough trophy for such a celebrated occasion. After purchasing a silver urn, the ladies then burnt a stump or a bail and deposited the ashes into the urn. No-one is quite sure whether it is the ashes of a stump or bail contained in the urn, the actual secret died with Ms Morphy and Bligh, who were later married on one of Bligh's further trips to Australia.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikingTurf Guest

Cajun
    Maybe you can open your eyes a little more and look at it from a Global perspective.
    i thought we had vikings fans from around the globe here, not only from Minnnesota.......if you find this stuff over your head maybe you should stop wasting your time reading the thread

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Wow. Cricket. Riveting.

:lol:

vikingTurf Guest

thanks Anglo

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    I must say this ashes series has been one of the most exciting test series in a long time, although i really don't care who wins, it would be nice to see aussies finally giving way to England.

Nice enough start for england in the 4th test...
    *chirping* *more chirping* *deafening amount of chirping*

Wrong sport, wrong country! :lol:
    so speaks the chief heathen of them all ..... culture is wasted on you :lol:

" Hey Ma, is it Racoon season yet ? I needs me a new hat ! "
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Bowchee is offline Rookie

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    Cajun
    Maybe you can open your eyes a little more and look at it from a Global perspective.
    Uh... do you know what you're saying or are you just repeating what you've heard every other time that someone has chosen to ignore something foreign?
    "Usually the team that scores the most points is going to win it." - John Madden

ranasrule is offline Rookie

i agree with the thread starter....for the first time in a very long time the ASHES are fun to watch again.....australia look washed up while england look like they are ready to emerge as a major force

vikingTurf Guest

"Bowchee" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Cajun
    Uh... do you know what you're saying or are you just repeating what you've heard every other time that someone has chosen to ignore something foreign?
    Of course you won't get it will you..........by bringing up the word "foreign" you have shown your knowledge or lack of it.

the only reason i started this thread was to see how all of us who are interested in cricket feel about the current ashes series, i am not suggesting cricket should be more popular or developed in US. cricket has its ownplance in the world and NFL has its own place in US. and iviewed this website as a place to interact with vikings fans around the world, i am sure there are others like Anglo who are interested incricket. If you are not, don't bother showing your ignorance for it. If you are somewhat interested we can help you explain it more. And frankly I am happy cricket never maede it to US, it's good the way it is.

On a cricketing note, I don't remember seeing Ponting bowl before, maybe mid 90s but not after that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast