VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Apple's Solar Strategy

[size=13pt]Apple's Solar Strategy[/size]

Forbes.com Market Scan

Miriam Marcus, 05.26.08, 6:00 PM ET

It's possible that Apple's future just got sunnier.

Employees at computer, phone and software company Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) have filed a patent to place solar cells on portable devices, Trade the News reported Monday.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Apple's Solar Strategy

Sales gimmick.

Problem with this is that it has been tried before with other things (wrist watches/Calculators etc) and to get enough solar energy to charge the batteries the damn things either had to be in direct sunlight for ages or the size of the devices had to be increased to give them additional solar cells.

Of course the advent of newer/better solar generation panels are a plus, I just wouldn't run out and buy one until I saw some decent consumer reports saying they work.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sales gimmick.

Problem with this is that it has been tried before with other things (wrist watches/Calculators etc) and to get enough solar energy to charge the batteries the damn things either had to be in direct sunlight for ages or the size of the devices had to be increased to give them additional solar cells.

Of course the advent of newer/better solar generation panels are a plus, I just wouldn't run out and buy one until I saw some decent consumer reports saying they work.

I've seen some solar strips advertised for use with laptops, and I was thinking of getting one in case I wanted to [s]work[/s] post in my yard. I'll have to do some research on them.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

My calculator did this like 20 years ago. About time they caught up. The idea of putting the panels underneath the screen seems like a new twist. The only problem is you can't read the screen in direct sunlight. Even if you still had to plug the phone in regularly if you got an extra day of use between charges it would be worth it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sales gimmick.

Problem with this is that it has been tried before with other things (wrist watches/Calculators etc) and to get enough solar energy to charge the batteries the gol 'darnit things either had to be in direct sunlight for ages or the size of the devices had to be increased to give them additional solar cells.

I've seen some solar strips advertised for use with laptops, and I was thinking of getting one in case I wanted to [s]work[/s] post in my yard. I'll have to do some research on them.
    Pay close attention to the spec on how long it takes to charge your device vs how fast your device uses the battery up.

It will give you a good idea of how it will work.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sales gimmick.

Problem with this is that it has been tried before with other things (wrist watches/Calculators etc) and to get enough solar energy to charge the batteries the gol 'darnit things either had to be in direct sunlight for ages or the size of the devices had to be increased to give them additional solar cells.

I think it depends on the purpose.
    If you're looking to remove the battery and be solely reliant on solar power, you're right, we're miles from that at this time.
    If you're looking instead to increase to life of the battery from say 4 hours per charge to 6... I think the help of solar power can achieve that.

The product advertised was no more then a rechargeable battery.
    Instead of plugging the batteries into the wall, you leave this device out in the sun.
    It's like a big capacitor (battery) that gets charged from the sun instead of the wall and then transfers the charge to your device's battery effectively recharging your phone, laptop, or iPod.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

sounds like an expensive paper weight