Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    duvaldomo is offline Coach

Anyone played college football?

Im in my senior year in high school and I was planning on going to college to play football at maryland. The thing is I played JV in the 10th grade and got hurt for the season and did not play in the 11th and not playing this year. I know im not getting a scholarship but anyone know how it works to make the roster? Like do they judge you by your game tapes from high school or how you practice etc.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Anyone played college football?

biting tongue.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    Im in my senior year in high school and I was planning on going to college to play football at maryland. The thing is I played JV in the 10th grade and got hurt for the season and did not play in the 11th and not playing this year. I know im not getting a scholarship but anyone know how it works to make the roster? Like do they judge you by your game tapes from high school or how you practice etc.
    You're gonna have to walk on.

What position did you play? What are your measurables? Height, weight, 40 time, etc.

Maryland is a big D1 program. Honestly, not to rain on your parade or anything. After 2 years of not playing, you're probably not going to make the team. Good luck.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    Why aren't you playing now?
    A solid senior season would certainly improve your chances of making a college roster.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

How hard can it be to be a water boy ;D

Seriously thought You have a couple of options. Yes send them in a tape from your games. Not a highlight tape but a game tape. Also it can help to get a letter from your coach, for a recommendation. Sometimes they have soe pull. Or find out of the coach has any connections.

Keep your options open. Yes you may want to go to Maryland but that may not be the best place to go right away.
    There are alot of solid junior college programs out there.
    Not sure about Maryland but there may be a a couple of JC's that have sent a few players there. Find out and do some research.
    JC's can be good for several reasons they allow you to work on some skills, and also if you are open to moving positions, another thing that can happen when going from HS to college lets you get a feel for that position better.

Speaking of changing positions talk to the recruiters at MD.
    No sure what positio you play(Left out? ;D) But for example if you play Safety and the team may not be recruiting as heavy as say LB,
    Be open to switching that position., Especially if you are willing to play special teams.
    IF you can you can always look at being a long snapper, many schools have started offering scholarships to guys that only long snap(go figure)

Finally do your research on MD plan on going there as if you are not going to play football. Find out everything you can about the school, what you want to major in, and not just "Well their Mascot is a turtle!" I know you won't but you get what I mean.
    another reason for this is you can always ask about being a walk-on and what that means, when try-outs are ect. Do what ever you can if that happens. Come early to everything be the last to leave, show dedication, there are many players that earned scholarships t play just on heart and dedication alone and not just pure football talent.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

You will not play D1 ball.
    They are not going to take a player who has no scoutable games on game film.

A JUCO is your only option.
    Play well there, you can always transfer.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    You will not play D1 ball.
    They said the same thing to Rudy.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Play your heart out wherever you go... people will notice.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

MR Anderson:

I play WR

5'9 135 4.48 in my Sophmore year.

Its cool I know its going to be tough to make the squad. Its not something I been playing on doing, I have something backed up but recently I been wanting to get back on the field.

BH:

I dont know man I messed up. Before last year ended I I was working and didnt want to get involved in work and football, I would have no time to my self. And I wasnt planning on going to college for football so I just let it go.

GG:

Thanks, great advice. Yeah im a small guy so if LB is open I dont think they will take me lol but I will defintely ask to see watsup. I will work hard for that position.

UVF:

Yeah I know, that may be my only option. If that is the case I will still play my best and see what happens

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    MR Anderson:

I play WR

5'9 135 4.48 in my Sophmore year.

Its cool I know its going to be tough to make the squad. Its not something I been playing on doing, I have something backed up but recently I been wanting to get back on the field.

You can get away with being 5'9" as a college WR, but not 135 pounds.

You'd have to gain about 50 pounds to even be looked at, and in a year, that's not going to happen without some serious hormone therapy if you know what I mean. Even then, 50 pounds in a year isn't doable.

Like Ultra said, you're gonna have to do the juco route, and really stand out there.

Best of luck to you, let us know if you make the squad. I'll most definitely be at the game next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast