Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Anyone into Genealogy?

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I'm not really into Genealogy too much.. But I checked out my family tree once.. I guess my ancestors arrived in the US from Finland around the 1840's.. It's kinda got me interested in checking out more but im way too lazy and don't know how to track this kind of thing
    I tell you what man, get any info you can now from relatives. Get stories get dates anything. I wish I had talked to me grandfather more about his family.

Even if you don't do anything about it maybe you will find the info years from now and find it useful.

I have some stories my gramps told me of the dust bowl during the depression and how hard life was in Nebraska. I have his football letter and his leather helmet too.

Important info would be names and dates , locations.

The most important I have found aside from the name is the birthdate. The rest is pretty easy.

Yah, the only info I have is from a family tree.. Mostly because both my grandfathers are deceased and one of my grandmas has no idea where she came from.. She was adopted and never found out who her parents were.. She was told she is swedish and thats it.. My other grandma is 100 percent finnish.. My mom tells me im about 80 percent finnish maybe.. But I don't see how that kinda thing works
    Vikez4Lyfe knows he is Finnish....because one minute with a girl and he is finnished! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I'm not really into Genealogy too much.. But I checked out my family tree once.. I guess my ancestors arrived in the US from Finland around the 1840's.. It's kinda got me interested in checking out more but im way too lazy and don't know how to track this kind of thing
    I tell you what man, get any info you can now from relatives. Get stories get dates anything. I wish I had talked to me grandfather more about his family.

Even if you don't do anything about it maybe you will find the info years from now and find it useful.

I have some stories my gramps told me of the dust bowl during the depression and how hard life was in Nebraska. I have his football letter and his leather helmet too.

Important info would be names and dates , locations.

The most important I have found aside from the name is the birthdate. The rest is pretty easy.

Yah, the only info I have is from a family tree.. Mostly because both my grandfathers are deceased and one of my grandmas has no idea where she came from.. She was adopted and never found out who her parents were.. She was told she is swedish and thats it.. My other grandma is 100 percent finnish.. My mom tells me im about 80 percent finnish maybe.. But I don't see how that kinda thing works
    Vikez4Lyfe knows he is Finnish....because one minute with a girl and he is finnished! :lol:

HAHA.. Make that 2 hours! :lol:

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

I tried it some years ago, I gathered as much info as I could, but basically hit a dead end. You can only go back so far.

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    I tried it some years ago, I gathered as much info as I could, but basically hit a dead end. You can only go back so far.
    Sometimes you can tie into others' research...usually posted on the Internet...but you have to keep checking back every so often...because new information gets posted on the Internet every day. I periodically update information that I have...new amateur genealogists are always posting new stuff that can sometimes open up those dead ends.

I've done research on the internet before too, and I even purchased cds that have like, a billions names, but didn't find much of anything except for a few relatives. If I get rekindled interest of any kind I might continue with it. I got interested in it 'cause I'd hear stories that my parents would tell about their own parents and vice versa. I was able to contact a relative who happened to be doing the same thing, so I found out some names I never heard before.

Del Rio Guest

All it takes is one name to fire up a trail again.

A distant cousin a great uncle. If you find a census or something it helps out a lot.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Most of my family is from the great land of Norway and settled in NoDak.

Don't ask the Packer fans about their family tree...it does not have any branches! :razz:

No, just a lot of cheese.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    All it takes is one name to fire up a trail again.

A distant cousin a great uncle. If you find a census or something it helps out a lot.
    That is where the National Archives come in handy...they have ALL the censuses (except most of 1880, which was destroyed in a fire in the 20's)...they released the 1930 Census in 2002 (they have to hold the censuses back for 72 years by law) and that census was eagerly anticipated because it contains the most information of all the previous censuses. DV, if you did your research before 2002, you might wanna refresh it...the 1930 Census is very good for tying up some loose ends that you might have. Also, if you hit dead ends, you might wanna think outside the box...poke around in non-traditional ways to come up with clues, etc.

Yeah, I started before '02. I began around 1995 and I continued with it up until around 1999. Based on what I had I created a family tree on the computer during that span, it was fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123