Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Anyone do anything fun?

Over the 4th of July weekend that is?

I went on a 130 mile 4-wheeler trip through the rockies. It was just me and one of my brothers.

As we are unloading the 4-wheelers I notice there is a huge heard of sheep at the begining of the trail, not uncommon as a large portion of the trail has private property on either side that is rented out for grazing. So we start driving and making our way through this huge flock of packer babes......

I hear this mooing, like frantic style screaming cow. And I look across this sage brush and there are 4 sheep dogs that have taken a cow down and are killing it. One has it's jaws clamped on it's throat and the others are biting the hell out of it.

I look up on the ridge and there are two guys on horse back (sheep herders) just watching this doing nothing. So we start out driving, we go a few miles and stop mostly to make sure all of our crap is strapped on before we start going through the crazy stuff and as soon as I get off my four wheeler I hear this barking.....look up, sure as hell here come 4 sheep dogs balls to the wall charging. With a heard of sheep following. Usually they make a very slow pace. This is the only reason I stopped where I did. But for some reason they were cruising. I think the herders were trying to get far away from that cow that their dogs just killed.

My brother has a 2005 raptor thing goes 90mph plus. He saw the dogs he was gone. I was driving my honda rancher, mostly for hunting, but it can get up to about 50mph. So I get it going and before I know it I have a dog biting my boot. I try and kick it off and what not but somehow in my retardedness I am slowing down instead of going faster. Turns out in my eagerness to get the hell out of dodge I had the parking brake on.

Well folks I don't know about you, but I don't like being bitten by a dog, and I have very little tolerance for bullshit. My brother comes back I have this dog tearing a hole in my jeans/boot trying to pull me off my 4-wheeler. And 2 others barking and snapping at me. And yep two guys on the ridge watching doing nothing.

So I did what any reasonable guy would do and I shot the dog with my pistol. Didn't quite kill him but the second shot got him good. And who would have guessed the two guys on the hill came riding down like a bolt of lighting and before I knew it I had two guns pointing at me and the swearing was going back and fourth.

As luck would have it, the fish cops were around the corner and the guys actually got arrested, but not for pointing guns at me, but for letting their dogs kill a cow. Turns out sheep dogs aren't cheap, also turns out they are trained to kick the hell out of anything that they think will hurt the sheep.

So........I almost had to fork out some money for the guys dog. But after talking sense into the fish cop I got to finish my 4-wheeling trip, and no fines, no nothing. I even got to have dinner from the rancher who's cow got killed, funny enough it was steak, I'm not sure if it was from that cow or not lol.

I saw 3 deer, 2 pronghorn, 2 bighorn sheep, 1 coyote, and about 40 head of elk. I caught a few cutthroat trout and the worst part of the whole trip is I got sunburned so damn bad I spent the rest of the weekend trying not to move.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Anyone do anything fun?

wow, that is nutz!

glad you made it out alive.

well, if i had 4 dogs biting at me ready to take down, i would have done the same thing. lucky for you someone with authority was around or else that could have gotten ugly fast.

are you sure you weren't riding through wisconsin...hahaha.

Del Rio Guest

I think we have a Packer outreach program here in Utah and we raise the ladies here and ship em out there for them.

Believe me I was yelling at my brother to get out of there. One guy had a .30 .30 and the other had something that I wasn't quite sure what it was but all I had was my .357 and I was almost sure I was going to get shot. It was very heated.

It was like an episode of redneck cops or something.

very scary.

guns always make me nervous, though when i was a kid i used to shoot my beebee gun across the street and shoot my neighbors kid in the ankles. HE HAD SNEAKERS ON!!! i used to climb a tree so no one could see me. the kids was afriend of mine and he thought it was funny, but our parents didn't think so. hahaha.

it is really hard to believe that the two ranchers guys didn't seem to mind the dogs attacking a viking fan? haha.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

All I want to know is did you ask the dog "do you feel lucky punk?".......awesome story...glad the fish cops were around though...those sheep herders are out there away from society for good chunks of time..no telling what would have happened.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Thank God that you made it out alive...it sounds like you could have been killed...or worse, if those "sheep herders" were actually hillbilly Packer pimps they might have pulled a "Deliverance" on you!!!

This is definitely a story for the ages...one that you will most likely be telling your grandkids down the road..."C'mon, Grandpa Del Rio, tell us the one about the Packer pimps again!" LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"gdavikes84" wrote:
    All I want to know is did you ask the dog "do you feel lucky punk?".......awesome story...glad the fish cops were around though...those sheep herders are out there away from society for good chunks of time..no telling what would have happened.
    Not sure what I told them, it wasn't asking if they felt lucky though. I'm sure the filter would edit it anyway. I just saw these things take a cow down, and granted I am big and some may argue I share the same intelectual standing as a cow but i wasn't about to become alpo.

I have been around guns my whole life, I own a lot and would never use one on another human being unless I felt my family or myself was in life threatening danger. I talk the talk about shooting someone, but when I had my gun raised at another human being it felt odd, and honestly at that moment I realized I wouldn't have the balls to do it that time.

If someone was threatening my wife or my son I may have a change of heart. I shot the dog from like 4 feet away it hit his neck and went right through the stumbled back and fell down was pawing at the dirt, I shot him the second time just so he wouldn't suffer.

Did anyone else do anything fun over the holiday? Any fishing stories? BBQ? CAJUN FOOD?? BEER???

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

I got four stiches in a game of pool chicken the got a little out of hand, but other than that it was pretty sweet, especially the red water, it was really cool looking :twisted:

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    I got four stiches in a game of pool chicken the got a little out of hand, but other than that it was pretty sweet, especially the red water, it was really cool looking :twisted:
    Pool chicken eh? Who won the time you made the red water? :lol:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast