Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Anybody else ever do this?

I am 30 and have quit a good paying job to finish my education. I had planned to go to college after the Army, but met my wife and we had a wonderful son. I moved to Ohio with her (yuck, I hate Ohio) and found a job where I worked my way up and made good money (jobs are scarce up here).

But after working 6 pm - 6 am I decided for a career change after 8 years with the same company. My wife makes good money, so we are not struggling too much.

I have 1 1/2 years left for a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology. Figured I would go with something that is skilled and has a good chance for rewarding my bank account.

It is tough though being in school full-time now. I really keep tp myself and only talk with others my age. The younger people kind of annoy me. I don't mind younger folks (I coach youth football) but I feel that I really don't have much in common with them. Nothing against you younger members out there.

Has any of you ever been in the same situation? I am curious to know how it went for you guys/gals. With a lot of studying, that means less time I can spend on the forums with the intelligent Viking fans like you guys/gals! Later!

Electronic engineering. NO wonder you have all those flashing pics of viking designs. Its wonderful to have photoshop aint it? I just learned how to do make the pics contiously flash and change to the next one.

Quite fun job you could have if youre in that field.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Anybody else ever do this?

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I am 30 and have quit a good paying job to finish my education. I had planned to go to college after the Army, but met my wife and we had a wonderful son. I moved to Ohio with her (yuck, I hate Ohio) and found a job where I worked my way up and made good money (jobs are scarce up here).

But after working 6 pm - 6 am I decided for a career change after 8 years with the same company. My wife makes good money, so we are not struggling too much.

I have 1 1/2 years left for a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology. Figured I would go with something that is skilled and has a good chance for rewarding my bank account.

It is tough though being in school full-time now. I really keep tp myself and only talk with others my age. The younger people kind of annoy me. I don't mind younger folks (I coach youth football) but I feel that I really don't have much in common with them. Nothing against you younger members out there.

Has any of you ever been in the same situation? I am curious to know how it went for you guys/gals. With a lot of studying, that means less time I can spend on the forums with the intelligent Viking fans like you guys/gals! Later!
    First of all, congrats on the G!!!

As for your question, I started law school at 29 and was surrounded by mostly 22-year-olds (although there were a fair amount of students older than me...one as "young" as 60). I took it all in stride and thoroughly enjoyed my time in school and found that I had alot in common with many of the other students, both young and old. Maybe it is just my personality, but I had no problem fitting in at all. I think that the key is to broaden your perspective on what you like and don't like...try to relate with those younger students and soak up some of their culture...you may discover something new that you really enjoy...a new band, a new book, or even a new interest (as long as you don't give up the Vikings...LOL). At the same time, you can share your culture and interests with these younger students...if you are good about it, they will probably "adopt" you as an honorary member of their circle of friends...what that means is that while you won't be out partying with them at night, you will at least be able to chat with them about what is happening in the world, etc. Keep it light and friendly and you will be surprised at how easy it is after awhile.

Good luck!!!

BTW, are you Norwegian by birth?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Anybody else ever do this?

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

First of all, congrats on the G!!!

As for your question, I started law school at 29 and was surrounded by mostly 22-year-olds (although there were a fair amount of students older than me...one as "young" as 60). I took it all in stride and thoroughly enjoyed my time in school and found that I had alot in common with many of the other students, both young and old. Maybe it is just my personality, but I had no problem fitting in at all. I think that the key is to broaden your perspective on what you like and don't like...try to relate with those younger students and soak up some of their culture...you may discover something new that you really enjoy...a new band, a new book, or even a new interest (as long as you don't give up the Vikings...LOL). At the same time, you can share your culture and interests with these younger students...if you are good about it, they will probably "adopt" you as an honorary member of their circle of friends...what that means is that while you won't be out partying with them at night, you will at least be able to chat with them about what is happening in the world, etc. Keep it light and friendly and you will be surprised at how easy it is after awhile.

Good luck!!!

BTW, are you Norwegian by birth?
    Going to law school is a little different than hanging with 18, 19, and 20 yr old students. Most in law school have a distinct direction they are heading in where as 3/4 of the undergrads probably have no clue which direction they are headed in. I didn't find my direction until being 3 yrs removed from my BA. That is when I decided to go back.

But I definitely agree with you on being open with all avenues. But it is my guess that it is difficult for them to relate to Ultra's position in life, with family and with his experiences. But like you said, they could benefit from perspectives that Ultra has to offer.

And if you(readers) are 18-21, don't be offended from what I said, been there and done that, but since then I have done a lot more.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Oh, by the way, wear a baseball cap everyday and it helps blend a bit. I had people mistaking me for 7 years younger than I was.

Wear it low but not low enough that you are going to fall over something.

LOL

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm kind of the opposite, I got done with college and I want my masters degree, but I do not want to go back to school. I would love to be back in college, but I would rather party than work!! Good luck with your schooling and with your career!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Mr. O is offline Starter

I was a little bit younger, but still a similar situation, I started working straight out of high school and decided to back to school for Journalism (to become a sportswriter) at 25. It's tough for two reasons: 1. Many of the 18-20 year-olds (not all, but many) do not take school as serious as you do. 2. Hitting the books again after being out of school for a few years takes a little getting used to.
    But, I was lucky, there were a couple other students in my age group who I could relate to and there were even two 40-year-old moms who were also going back to school for the first time. To be honest, seeing them made me feel pretty young and realize that if I felt old, how must they have felt. One great thing about being back in school was being able to use my life experience and knowledge to help me do well. Especially in journalism where you are constantly on deadlines and need to think quickly and clearly.
    So, to you ultra, I say Good Luck and hopefully you'll be able to find some like minded people to help you enjoy your experience more. Also, I bet your life experience will put you a shoulder above the rest. :thumbright:
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I had a similar situation and it is very hard to do. However I was still single so I didn't have to worry about a wife or kids. I didn't worry about the young kids and their culture. I was all business when I went back to school; I was there to learn, get my degree and then start a new job. I am very outgoing and talked to alot of the people around me but I never worried if I fit in. Those people, I would never see again and I haven't. I didn't have any spare time and it took alot of discipline to go back later in life but you are more focused and should be a great student. Good luck!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Thanks. The hardest part in not the interaction with other students, just after going through 12 years of school having to comeback 12 years later.

Things have changed a lot. I have noticed that when some of the younger males (usually punks) address the teacher the use vulgar language. I never in my life would do that. First, it inappropriate in a scholastic setting. Second, it makes you look like a moron.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

They use vulgar language towards a teacher? And the teacher puts up with it? Wow!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    They use vulgar language towards a teacher? And the teacher puts up with it? Wow!
    Ok, maybe I should clarify. When answering questions or in class discussion. Like today: I was in Microeconomics and we were talking about world poverty. One moron raised his hand and said something like; "well if we solve world poverty and sh*t, then others will think they don't have to work and sh*t".

That is the kind of example I was talking about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast