Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: any furious Danes out there??

I have been understanding of the islamic feelings all the way. I can understand that people can get upset if they are provoked in something they truely believe in. Though I believe that people should have the right to say whatever they want, as long as it's not blasfemic or libel.

That being said I have absolutly no respect when people resort to violence. I believe in dialog and mutual understanding. And I sincerly hope that some of the governments in the arab world will come to there senses and stop the violent outbursts, because they will surely not solve anything.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    What comic/cartoon? :scratch:

A little background or info please, so we know WTF you're talking about.
    There were some cartoon caricatures done which didn't show Mohammed in a good light.. for example showed him wearing a turban which was actually a lighted bomb. As it against Islamic beliefs to mock him in this way then things have been kicking off. Protests, buildings being burnt etc, to make matters worse the cartoons have also been reprinted in papers in other european countries too
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    What comic/cartoon? :scratch:

A little background or info please, so we know WTF you're talking about.
    There were some cartoon caricatures done which didn't show Mohammed in a good light.. for example showed him wearing a turban which was actually a lighted bomb. As it against Islamic beliefs to mock him in this way then things have been kicking off. Protests, buildings being burnt etc, to make matters worse the cartoons have also been reprinted in papers in other european countries too
    I heard on the news this morning there was a couple of deaths already over this inncident.

Sad, very sad.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I don't understand why it had to come to this.

Would there have been anything wrong with not printing the cartoons?

I mean, to me, it doesn't really matter, but since it apparently does make a difference to these people, why not just humour them and ditch the cartoons?

To me, this is just being insensitive. There's no reason why they had to print the cartoons, and they knew that a bunch of people would be offended, but they still chose to print it.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

A man in holland in the politics, put the cartoons in his site, he already had 40 deaththreats (40 people that want to kill him)
    I think its just overreacted
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

It looks to me like they want any excuse to riot and kill people. That seems to be the nature of the radical Islamists.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    To me, this is just being insensitive. There's no reason why they had to print the cartoons, and they knew that a bunch of people would be offended, but they still chose to print it.
    I agree. What the newspaper did was just stupid. They were provoking, just to be provokrative.

But then again I have no respect for any violent response whatsoever.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"cogitans" wrote:
    I agree. What the newspaper did was just stupid. They were provoking, just to be provokrative.

I'm not trying to defend the violence. I'm just saying that the newspaper provoked them and they should have seen what this would get to.

If it doesn't really make a differnece in their lives, why do they have to print it if it will provoke this kind of violence in other people??

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:

I'm not trying to defend the violence. I'm just saying that the newspaper provoked them and they should have seen what this would get to.

If it doesn't really make a differnece in their lives, why do they have to print it if it will provoke this kind of violence in other people??
    As stated earlier I'm not defending the newspapers decision, as I thought it was stupid myself.

But the official reasoning is the following:

There has been a feeling of selfcensoring by satirists, and people in the puplic debates, that they try not to offend muslims. (Moreso than other groups, religious, political etc.). Therefore they asked 12 cartoonists to make a picture of the profet, which they printed in the paper. Apparently to show that you colud make satire with this, as well as everyone else has to put up with. Think of fx. Bush cartoons in relations with the war in Iraq.

This was just to put in some facts of the statements made in the debate.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

This is comical to blame anyone but the radical idiots that are committing these crimes. Newspapers have satirized Jesus, God, and Moses. How many riots have been perpetrated by the Christians and Jews? I am offended every day by Athiests and Pro abortion radicals. Am I to take to the streets and then blame those org. for angering me into such actions?

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast