Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Any European Travelers in here?

"Turboe" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

Turbo,

That post must have been a Ton of Fun to write, or should I say, A bunch of Kilo's of Fun?....
    ;D
    By the way does anyone know do you need to buy a different calling card for every country in Europe or do the minutes cross over country lines if you by a specific kind of card can you use it at any payphone in Europe?
    Again my wife was wondering so that she can call back here everyonce in a while from the various places that they are.

Thanks again.
    I'd assume that if you got a calling from the likes of AT&t, Sprint etc then the minutes you have should cross over. I'm basing that on the calling card that my company uses ( Verizon ) where it just then has local access numbers for anywhere in the world. It may be different for individual users but the principle should be the same - best to speak to your provider and see what they offer. If your wife is in Europe then I'd expect the rate back to the US to be pretty similar from most
    european countries.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=SKOL link=topic=45473.msg788775#msg788775 date=1212637162]
    [quote author=huxx link=topic=45473.msg788773#msg788773 date=1212637017]
    Dang it...for some reason I can't quote anything.

Any card that's attached to a chequing account will work.
    You must have a 4 digit PIN.
    Good point huxx.
    Make sure you know the numbers for your code, not letters.
    There are no letters on the atm keys in europe.
    what? you have letters?
    You must be one of the few countries in the whole world that use letters, as I've never seen them anywhere else.
    (also one of the few that still use the Imperial system for measurement too )
    Thats because the Imperial system rocks!
    If it didnt why do you all still refer to the milage a car gets.
    That because we all know you could pull a muscle in your tounge trying to say Kilometerage.
    Besides all civalized societies still measure golf courses in yards, and that right there is proof enough for me.
    then why do olympic runners run the 100 meter dash?
    They even run the 1600m run, which is not exacly a mile.
    doctors will give you 20 millograms of a drug, my civic has a 1.7 Litre engine.
    Your computer has an 80 Gigabye hard drive.
    This post I'm typing is about a Kilobyte.
    I prefer freezing to be 0 degrees, and boiling to be 100, instead of freezing being 32 degrees and boiling being 212.
    As for golf courses, probably has something to do with the fact golf was invented in britain, one of the few countries left who still hangs on to this terminology.
    Your sports analogy doesnt hold water.
    You can take all your Olympic dashes, and doping, they dont measure to the fact that golf (the greatest game ever invented) has it right.

As far as your civic goes (I am not sure I would admit it in public if my engine only had 1.7 Liters, I still prefer a 351 Cleveland) that is a bad arguement as everyone knows that engines were better when they were measured in cubic inches, you are helping me make my case.

Braging that computer terminology is in Gigabytes, etc also has some holes in it.
    Computers often crash, are unreliable, and cause people grief, perhaps if information on computers were measured in tons rather than bytes they might run more efficiently.
    I mean just last week I was telling someone that I had tons of work I had to get done on my computer.
    Maybe if my computer would have been set up to handle that without conversion I might have actually gotten more of it done.
    When is the last time your buddy called you to go golfing or fishing or whatever you do, and you said "I would love to, but I have a gigabyte of work that I have to get done before I could play."

As far as freezing goes I prefer it to be 32 degrees and I also prefer it to be somewhere other than where I live.
    And I hope it never get to boiling so I dont care what temperature they use for that.
    Although think Al Gore's fictional movie said that will be the average temperature in Maine like next summer.

Other than that I think you Canadians have got a several things going for you, your hockey is better, your beer is good, and Tim Hortons are not too shabby.
    But I still beg to differ with you on the gallons vs Liters.
    And besides I always remember your Liters of gas in addition to being in the wrong system of measurements being way too expensive as well.

Again though I have enjoyed lots of golf in Canada, I appreciate that they had the common decency to keep the courses in yards.
    The exchange rate was bad enough without having to translate how far my 6 iron would go in meters.

LOL
    [/quote]

Turbo,

That post must have been a Ton of Fun to write, or should I say, A bunch of Kilo's of Fun?....
    ;D
    [/quote]

Besides first and 9.144 on the 18.288 meter line doesn't have the same ring to it.
    ;D

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"scottishvike" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=45473.msg788796#msg788796 date=1212638844]

Good point huxx.
    what? you have letters?
    You must be one of the few countries in the whole world that use letters, as I've never seen them anywhere else.
    That because we all know you could pull a muscle in your tounge trying to say Kilometerage.
    Besides all civalized societies still measure golf courses in yards, and that right there is proof enough for me.
    I prefer freezing to be 0 degrees, and boiling to be 100, instead of freezing being 32 degrees and boiling being 212.
    As for golf courses, probably has something to do with the fact golf was invented in britain, one of the few countries left who still hangs on to this terminology.
    You can take all your Olympic dashes, and doping, they dont measure to the fact that golf (the greatest game ever invented) has it right.

As far as your civic goes (I am not sure I would admit it in public if my engine only had 1.7 Liters, I still prefer a 351 Cleveland) that is a bad arguement as everyone knows that engines were better when they were measured in cubic inches, you are helping me make my case.

Braging that computer terminology is in Gigabytes, etc also has some holes in it.
    Computers often crash, are unreliable, and cause people grief, perhaps if information on computers were measured in tons rather than bytes they might run more efficiently.
    I mean just last week I was telling someone that I had tons of work I had to get done on my computer.
    Maybe if my computer would have been set up to handle that without conversion I might have actually gotten more of it done.
    When is the last time your buddy called you to go golfing or fishing or whatever you do, and you said "I would love to, but I have a gigabyte of work that I have to get done before I could play."

As far as freezing goes I prefer it to be 32 degrees and I also prefer it to be somewhere other than where I live.
    And I hope it never get to boiling so I dont care what temperature they use for that.
    Although think Al Gore's fictional movie said that will be the average temperature in Maine like next summer.

Other than that I think you Canadians have got a several things going for you, your hockey is better, your beer is good, and Tim Hortons are not too shabby.
    And besides I always remember your Liters of gas in addition to being in the wrong system of measurements being way too expensive as well.

Again though I have enjoyed lots of golf in Canada, I appreciate that they had the common decency to keep the courses in yards.
    The exchange rate was bad enough without having to translate how far my 6 iron would go in meters.

LOL
    [/quote]

Turbo,

;D
    [/quote]

Besides first and 9.144 on the 18.288 meter line doesn't have the same ring to it.
    ;D
    [/quote]
    Thank you very much for the definitive statement on that.
    I think that about wraps up that debate.
    I am surprised I didnt think about that since we are on the Vikings site here.

As an aside I went to the Greenville Highland Games this weekend and took in some Scottish heritage.
    Unfortunately we were runnning late, and my daughter had to be at the awards stage because she won the Scotland's Young Writer contest.
    So I didnt get to partake of any single malt at the VIP tent like I thought I was going to.
    Bummer, but as always it was cool to see some of the Highland Games.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Turboe link=topic=45473.msg788808#msg788808 date=1212639416]
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=45473.msg788796#msg788796 date=1212638844]

Good point huxx.
    what? you have letters?

LOL
    [/quote]

Turbo,

;D
    [/quote]

;D
    [/quote]
    Thank you very much for the definitive statement on that.
    I think that about wraps up that debate.
    I am surprised I didnt think about that since we are on the Vikings site here.

As an aside I went to the Greenville Highland Games this weekend and took in some Scottish heritage.
    Unfortunately we were runnning late, and my daughter had to be at the awards stage because she won the Scotland's Young Writer contest.
    So I didnt get to partake of any single malt at the VIP tent like I thought I was going to.
    [/quote]

Which single malts were they serving?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

I was going to go to be with my 17yr old step-daughter to see what place she had finished in this Scottish writing contest (she won the top grand prize).
    And somehow I had lucked my way into this VIP wrist band that the lady who got it for me entitled me entrance to a VIP area for visiting dignitaries and VIPs, etc.

She said that there would be numerous single malts and wines, etc to sample as well as regional foods, etc.

So I knew I couldnt stay long and would be pressed for time, but I was still looking forward to hopefully getting to try some obscure single malts, or some that I have always wanted to try but never done.
    I am a single malt novice, I had some when I went to Scotland several years ago on a golf trip, and I have just started to have some the last several months again.

So I was really looking forwar to sampling some that day.

That is why I was so bummed that we got there quite late, because my daughter had somehting else that morning and I went to play golf, by the time we got there we didnt get a chance to go to the VIP area that was at the opposite end of the large area the games took place in.

So that is my sad tale, I dont know what there was in this area because I never got to check it out.
    I am bummed.
    Unfortunately
    I probably wont be able to ever score one of those VIP bands again.

Blog Entries

"Turboe" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    I was going to go to be with my 17yr old step-daughter to see what place she had finished in this Scottish writing contest (she won the top grand prize).
    And somehow I had lucked my way into this VIP wrist band that the lady who got it for me entitled me entrance to a VIP area for visiting dignitaries and VIPs, etc.

She said that there would be numerous single malts and wines, etc to sample as well as regional foods, etc.

So I knew I couldnt stay long and would be pressed for time, but I was still looking forward to hopefully getting to try some obscure single malts, or some that I have always wanted to try but never done.
    I am a single malt novice, I had some when I went to Scotland several years ago on a golf trip, and I have just started to have some the last several months again.

That is why I was so bummed that we got there quite late, because my daughter had somehting else that morning and I went to play golf, by the time we got there we didnt get a chance to go to the VIP area that was at the opposite end of the large area the games took place in.

So that is my sad tale, I dont know what there was in this area because I never got to check it out.
    I am bummed.
    Unfortunately
    [/quote]

It's a pity you never got your "wee dram" Turboe, Congrats to your daughter though, what did she write about to win the competition?

"scottishvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

I am bummed.
    Unfortunately
    It's a pity you never got your "wee dram" Turboe, Congrats to your daughter though, what did she write about to win the competition?
    Are you an expert of any kind?
    I have had several years ago, but never really settled in on any particular one (you know young and dumb I was more into quantity than quality back then).
    I had several single malts when I was over in Scotland back over 10yrs ago when I went on my Scotland Golf Adventure, but as I say I was young and dumb back then.
    Now I am no longer young, just dumb sometimes.

I have started to try some single malts with a little more eye towards learning in the last year.

I started with the basics (or at least what I thought of the basics) I have a Macallan 12yr old and a Glenlivet 12yr old.

I have always been interested in Laphroaig (I dont know if it was the name that catches my attention, or the Isle of Islay that sounds intriguing), but from what I have read it is not probably where a beginner wants to start.
    You need to kind of ease into this single malt deal, and I understand that is a little complex for a beginner.
    Do you concur?
    What are your favorite(s) and where do your tastes lie?

Oh, yes and I almost forgot to answer your other question.
    When my daughter came to me and said that she was going to enter a Scotland writing contest, I immediately thought of some golf related story along the lines of one of my favorite books "Golf in the Kingdom".
    But she wrote something more up her alley, she is a great writer, and always has been interested in mythology etc.
    So she wrote a story involving a mythical Scottish creature called a Kelpie.
    Is that a real (I dont mean really "real") creature from Scottish lore or did she just make it up?
    I didnt have the heart to ask her, she talke about it like I should have heard of it.
    It must have been realistic enough to impress the judges who were of a Scottish background, because out of several hundred entries she won the grand prize, so that was pretty cool.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

I am bummed.
    Unfortunately
    I have had several years ago, but never really settled in on any particular one (you know young and dumb I was more into quantity than quality back then).
    I had several single malts when I was over in Scotland back over 10yrs ago when I went on my Scotland Golf Adventure, but as I say I was young and dumb back then.

I have started to try some single malts with a little more eye towards learning in the last year.

I started with the basics (or at least what I thought of the basics) I have a Macallan 12yr old and a Glenlivet 12yr old.

I have always been interested in Laphroaig (I dont know if it was the name that catches my attention, or the Isle of Islay that sounds intriguing), but from what I have read it is not probably where a beginner wants to start.
    You need to kind of ease into this single malt deal, and I understand that is a little complex for a beginner.
    Do you concur?

When my daughter came to me and said that she was going to enter a Scotland writing contest, I immediately thought of some golf related story along the lines of one of my favorite books "Golf in the Kingdom".
    But she wrote something more up her alley, she is a great writer, and always has been interested in mythology etc.

Is that a real (I dont mean really "real") creature from Scottish lore or did she just make it up?
    I didnt have the heart to ask her, she talke about it like I should have heard of it.
    It must have been realistic enough to impress the judges who were of a Scottish background, because out of several hundred entries she won the grand prize, so that was pretty cool.
    Congrats to your daughter, Turb!

As far as the single malts go, I don't drink anymore....BUT I do consider myself an expert of sorts.
    I have probably tried over 100 different single malts in my time and still pretty much remember many of the more outstanding ones.
    I had several friends in law school that were also interested and we took an entire year and tested 2 or 3 of them every single Wednesday during fall and spring semester when I was a 3L (last year of law school).
    Couple that with two different Scotch tasting sessions (as well as one beer tasting) with the great Michael Jackson (the Scotch and beer expert, not the bleached weirdo) and several other smaller home tasting with the wife and you see where I am coming from.

Anyway, Mac 12 is a good place to start as is Glenlivet 12 (both are pretty middle of the road and smooth, but have little character).
    Laphroaig (along with the other Islay single malts like Lagavulin, Talisker, etc.) are much harsher to novices and are definitely an acquired taste (but are very interesting and satisfying once you have determined that you like one of more of them).
    If you are inclined to spend the money, Macallan 18 is a phenomenal Scotch (and a much better value than Mac 25) and is a good investment for your personal collection (but too expensive to be your everyday Scotch).
    A much cheaper option than the Macallan brand is a Scotch called Aberlour (the distillery is right next to the Macallan distillery and they also use used sherry casks to age their whisky (which gives the Macallan it's special smoothness and hint of sweetness).
    Since Aberlour is in the same neighborhood as Macallan, it also retains many of the same characteristics from the use of the same water supply and the same local peat to fire the stills as the Macallan does.
    The result is a somewhat milder version of the Macallan for a much better price (for the 10-year old version sold in the States...and with no real dropoff from the Mac 12.
    Of course, again, the Mac 18 is a much superior product to either of those, but you get what you pay for (like I said, don't waste your money on the Mac 25...there is very little improvement from the 18 but the cost is way higher...let someone else who is a showoff and a spendthrift buy you a taste of the Mac 25).
    There are several other Speyside single malts that are middle of the road like Glenfiddich, etc. that are worth trying, both economical and worth the pour.
    Oban is one that I really liked as a better than average but fairly mellow Scotch.
    Another that is worth trying is the Edradour, produced at the smallest distillery in Scotland (operated by three men and producing only 12 casks a week...a friend of mine went there for his bar trip...he played a little golf too while he was there).
    Anyway, the Edradour has a finish that can only be described as "cream soda"...by that I mean that once you sip it, your tongue feels the same way that it does after a sip of cream soda.
    This is due to the vanillans that the Scotch gets from the use of virgin oak casks in the aging process and it makes for what is truly a unique and very smooth Scotch.
    Also, one of the Islay scotches that bears mention is Talisker...it has a peppery finish that is truly unique among Scotches. There are too many others to mention in this post (and I have rambled on quite a bit here), but my advice to you is to poke around in the different regional groups of Scotches (Speyside, Islay, etc.) and get a feel for each genre of sorts by trying a few of each of the more common ones.
    Then, once you get a feel for the differences between regions, begin to focus on a particular region and start to try several that are more similar to see if you can discern the differences between the ones from that region.
    One good thing about Scotch...since there a so few relative to wines, you can become expert in a much shorter time than one can for wines.
    Happy Hunting!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Blog Entries

"Turboe" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

I am bummed.
    Unfortunately

Do you concur?

Yeah the Kelpie is a mythical creature from Scottish folklore so she didn't just make it up! As far as single malts go I am no expert, I think Cajun has answered your question far better than I ever could.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123