Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    renovikesfan is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    772

    Am I the only one.....


    ...who's getting tired of politicians and the government in general sticking their noses into sports?


    I just read an article saying that John Kerry (yeah, the Lurch impersonator) is whining to the NFL about getting it's issue with Comcast resolved so the Patsies/Giants game isn't limited to just those with satellite.

    Seems to me, he could be spending his time and resources as a senator on more important things than sports and cable TV.

    JMO

  2. #2
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,513

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    "renovikesfan" wrote:

    ...who's getting tired of politicians and the government in general sticking their noses into sports?


    I just read an article saying that John Kerry (yeah, the Lurch impersonator) is whining to the NFL about getting it's issue with Comcast resolved so the Patsies/Giants game isn't limited to just those with satellite.

    Seems to me, he could be spending his time and resources as a senator on more important things than sports and cable TV.

    JMO




    Since when are Senators constructive?......Most the time they can be found hanging out on Capitol Hill, looking for that next tax payer paid meal.


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  3. #3
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    [size=1pt]no politics....shoot hillary[/size]

  4. #4
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    [size=1pt]no politics....sh**t hillary[/size]
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #5
    renovikesfan is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    772

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    [size=1pt]no politics....shoot hillary[/size]
    Why limit it to just her?

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    While I don't like John Kerry, he does have a legitimate issue.
    We have pretty stringent laws in place that prevent monopolies.
    Competition is good for the consumer - it drives quality up and prices down.
    The NFL has an exemption put in place by congress to allow them to operate in a monopoly.
    This exemption has a lot to do with the ability to sell the games to television stations.
    While I actually take the NFL's side in the Cable issue, I also understand that they are very close to violating the terms of that exemption by not making the games available to the general public.


    One of the reasons they were able to move some regular season games to ESPN is because the majority of the people in America have cable.
    Now, however, with regular season games in NFLN, the majority of viewers do not have the ability to get the game.

    I really think that Comcast and the other cable companies are more to blame.
    They would rather put it in a sports package because then they can make more money.
    The NFL wants it in the basic package so they don't get into trouble with the exemption.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    While I don't like John Kerry, he does have a legitimate issue.
    We have pretty stringent laws in place that prevent monopolies.
    Competition is good for the consumer - it drives quality up and prices down.
    The NFL has an exemption put in place by congress to allow them to operate in a monopoly.
    This exemption has a lot to do with the ability to sell the games to television stations.
    While I actually take the NFL's side in the Cable issue, I also understand that they are very close to violating the terms of that exemption by not making the games available to the general public.


    One of the reasons they were able to move some regular season games to ESPN is because the majority of the people in America have cable.
    Now, however, with regular season games in NFLN, the majority of viewers do not have the ability to get the game.

    I really think that Comcast and the other cable companies are more to blame.
    They would rather put it in a sports package because then they can make more money.
    The NFL wants it in the basic package so they don't get into trouble with the exemption.
    Nice post... seriously though. Anyone remember Anti-trust laws? or are we just ignoring those now?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #8
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Am I the only one.....

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    While I don't like John Kerry, he does have a legitimate issue.
    We have pretty stringent laws in place that prevent monopolies.
    Competition is good for the consumer - it drives quality up and prices down.
    The NFL has an exemption put in place by congress to allow them to operate in a monopoly.
    This exemption has a lot to do with the ability to sell the games to television stations.
    While I actually take the NFL's side in the Cable issue, I also understand that they are very close to violating the terms of that exemption by not making the games available to the general public.


    One of the reasons they were able to move some regular season games to ESPN is because the majority of the people in America have cable.
    Now, however, with regular season games in NFLN, the majority of viewers do not have the ability to get the game.

    I really think that Comcast and the other cable companies are more to blame.
    They would rather put it in a sports package because then they can make more money.
    The NFL wants it in the basic package so they don't get into trouble with the exemption.
    ...except that any game broadcast on cable is also shown on a local network in the cities of the teams that are playing. A couple of my relatives in town have Comcast, and therefore don't have NFL network right now. However, they were all watching the Bears game last night. The NFL doesn't have to make every game available to everyone. That option is only available via Sunday Ticket, which is only available via DirecTV. The NFL only has to make the games avaiable to the home viewing areas, which they're doing. The debate with Comcast has everything to do with the fact that the NFL wants the NFL network to be part of the regular package so that they can increase their viewership numbers, and therefore increase what they can charge for advertising. It has nothing to do with the special exemption from anti-trust laws and how they relate to TV coverage. That issue is covered.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •