Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    The only reason I can't get any support is because those nerdy bastards are playing WOW.

  2. #12
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    444

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:

    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    dundundudundundudn.. dun.
    Um...what song is that? I can't hear what you're "dunning." Thus, I don't think that an online version of "Name That Tune" would work very well.
    it's got to be the theme song to monday night foot ball.

    Back on topic, I have never played WOW or BF2 and I can't say I'm very interested in MMORPGs in general. In my opinion, there isn't much role-playing in MMORPG but there is a lot of playing roles. In my experience, they don't leave much room for imagination or creativity, but certainly there is room for strategy. Strategy is good, but it isn't everything. And I don't like playing FPS games much. But hey, that's me: My online gaming priorities are placed in more fantasy role-play genre that allows 20-30 people to play games together or a handful of my friends who are geographically dispersed.

  3. #13
    DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,161

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    Yeah, that's it.

  4. #14
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    "smootpepper" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    If you think your game beats wow this one is for you

    http//www.spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=1289


    If you like Wow enough to LARP this one is for you


    http//www.spikedhumor.com/Article.aspx?id=241
    LOL..."I'm wearing Boots of Escaping!"

    That episode of Family Guy is funny, too. I think the actual name of the episode is "Petarded."

    However, you don't have to be a retard to think that BF2 is the finest achievement in the history of game development up to this point. Battlefield 1942 completely changed online gaming, and BF2 is probably going to have a huge impact on it as well. Whereas WoW's appeal comes from an idea that had already been invented, the people at DICE who made the Battlefield series invented all of the major concepts behind both games: using vehicles, a ticket system (which was invented by the same developers in a less-successful alternate reality WWI/WWII game), & many other ideas unique to the BF series. If any fantasy game (the Elder Scrolls series comes to mind) were to simply adapt its software to create a MMPORG environment, it would be almost exactly the same as WoW except for the plot details. The Battlefield series, however, is like no other game ever made.

    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    dundundudundundudn.. dun.
    Um...what song is that? I can't hear what you're "dunning." Thus, I don't think that an online version of "Name That Tune" would work very well.

    I personally think BF2 is an updated wwiionline myself.

    BF2 Graphics are awsome, WWIIOL are average.

    BF2 64 player battles, WWIIOL was averaging over 5,000 at one time.

    BF2 has vehicles, planes, boats and choppers. WWIIOL has had them forever, not to mention a larger selection of planes, bombers, tanks, trucks, and boats.

    the ticket system is directly from WWIIOL.

    BF2 Maps are large. WWIIOL maps are 1/2 scale size of europe.


    I still think BF2 is a great game, and only can wish that wwiiol would update to modern era warfare. But the BF series was not the 1st ever in many of these concepts, they just made them well known because they made a fun game that lots of people bought. BF2 = more arcade feel. WWIIOL = more realistic. As for wow, I dont play those type of games often. Maybe if it was world of starcraft I would change my mind.
    I was talking about the Battlefield series as a whole. Much of the concepts of BF1942 were taken from a different WWI/WWII game (alternate reality) made by the same company, Digital Illusions CE (DICE). I'm not sure when WWIIOL came out, but BF1942 came out about 2001-2002, and its little-known predecessor (the name of which escapes me) came out in 2000.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  5. #15
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:

    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    dundundudundundudn.. dun.
    Um...what song is that? I can't hear what you're "dunning." Thus, I don't think that an online version of "Name That Tune" would work very well.
    it's got to be the theme song to monday night foot ball.

    Back on topic, I have never played WOW or BF2 and I can't say I'm very interested in MMORPGs in general. In my opinion, there isn't much role-playing in MMORPG but there is a lot of playing roles. In my experience, they don't leave much room for imagination or creativity, but certainly there is room for strategy. Strategy is good, but it isn't everything. And I don't like playing FPS games much. But hey, that's me: My online gaming priorities are placed in more fantasy role-play genre that allows 20-30 people to play games together or a handful of my friends who are geographically dispersed.
    Roleplaying on MMORPG's is hard mainly because of the restraint that the mechanics of the games have. I have seen some serious RP guilds that would go out of their way to RP and hold events and such, I don't play them anymore because they are extreemly time consuming.

    What game's out are fantasy role-play that allow 20-30 people to play? Or do you play some variation of Paper and dice online?

  6. #16
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    444

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    "Del Rio" wrote:

    Roleplaying on MMORPG's is hard mainly because of the restraint that the mechanics of the games have. I have seen some serious RP guilds that would go out of their way to RP and hold events and such, I don't play them anymore because they are extreemly time consuming.
    I know what you mean. I played a game called shadow bane, an alleged improvement on everquest, for a few months. It was fun at first, but success (i.e., staying alive) in the game ended up being determined by your pc's memory, the speed of your internet connection, and your willingness to play all day. IT was not for me. And the RP was always on the side....pushed to the margins. I was in an RP guild on an RP server, but most of the RP happened on a website that the guild hosted and it didn't translate well into the game.

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    What game's out are fantasy role-play that allow 20-30 people to play? Or do you play some variation of Paper and dice online?
    Neverwinter Nights. It was sold as a single-player D&D based campaign a few years ago. But the program also supports the creation of campaign settings that you can host on your own machine and have up to 54 users connect at the same time. As a result, thousands of people (and alot of them in France for some reason) have created their own campaigns that support D&D 3rd edition based gaming. In my opinion, some of the best servers have a small gaming community where about 20 people are on at any time.

    The graphics were good in 2002, but obviously technology has advanced and the graphics are amusing now. A second version of the game is due out in 2006 which promises better graphics, and vastly improved toolsets for the game masters.

    IF this interests you at all DR-- and anyone else --I can discuss more of the details in private messages.

    I'm sure I've given BBQPlatypus enough fodder to make stinging nerd accusations. I have to go find my scrolls of protection and ring of thick skin before the onslaught comes. :wink:

  7. #17
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    "Colorado Vike" wrote:
    Neverwinter Nights. It was sold as a single-player D&D based campaign a few years ago. But the program also supports the creation of campaign settings that you can host on your own machine and have up to 54 users connect at the same time. As a result, thousands of people (and alot of them in France for some reason) have created their own campaigns that support D&D 3rd edition based gaming. In my opinion, some of the best servers have a small gaming community where about 20 people are on at any time.

    The graphics were good in 2002, but obviously technology has advanced and the graphics are amusing now. A second version of the game is due out in 2006 which promises better graphics, and vastly improved toolsets for the game masters.

    IF this interests you at all DR-- and anyone else --I can discuss more of the details in private messages.

    I'm sure I've given BBQPlatypus enough fodder to make stinging nerd accusations. I have to go find my scrolls of protection and ring of thick skin before the onslaught comes. Neverwinter Nights. It was sold as a single-player D&D based campaign a few years ago. But the program also supports the creation of campaign settings that you can host on your own machine and have up to 54 users connect at the same time. As a result, thousands of people (and alot of them in France for some reason) have created their own campaigns that support D&D 3rd edition based gaming. In my opinion, some of the best servers have a small gaming community where about 20 people are on at any time.

    The graphics were good in 2002, but obviously technology has advanced and the graphics are amusing now. A second version of the game is due out in 2006 which promises better graphics, and vastly improved toolsets for the game masters.

    IF this interests you at all DR-- and anyone else --I can discuss more of the details in private messages.

    I'm sure I've given BBQPlatypus enough fodder to make stinging nerd accusations. I have to go find my scrolls of protection and ring of thick skin before the onslaught comes.
    Too late! I have unleashed fury upon you with my Bow of Infinite Dorkitude! Now the health and experienced points that you have wasted long hours to earn have fallen into double digits! Now they are almost as low as your Female Contact "Experience" :wink: Points (at last count, 0 - perhaps even negative)! Then, I call upon my army of Reptilian Wizards, who cast the Curse of Dorkulent Atrophy upon your scrawny, pitiful, acne-filled person! Unless you can find the Great Wizard's Potion of Denerdification (which is unlikely), your mana is doomed to plummet as well! Now you are even weaker magically than you are physically (at last count, you could bench press about 35 pounds - with someone helping)! Bwah-hah-hah! Your pale, sun-starved face contorts into an expression of pure terror! Then, to finish off what is left of you, I send a Legion of (d)orcs to eviscerate you, using your entrails to have a rather pleasant backyard cookout.





    (Okay, it might be just SLIGHTLY unfair. I used to play Dungeon Seige. But I wasn't really too into it, and I started playing other games after a couple months. Unlike you, however, I am not a total geek. I mean, I'm like Shaft compared to you, Colorado.). :lol:


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  8. #18
    GreenBaySlackers's Avatar
    GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    I havent played any kind of computer games in a long time, but Counter Strike was the SHiz! I would play that for like 5 hours at a time. That was such a good game... then I burned out on it pretty hard. (and my favorite server went down )

  9. #19
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    OK, here's an irresistable parting shot:

    D&D: The first "D" stands for "dork." So does the second one.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  10. #20
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The all-important video/computer game debate!

    What's sad is it is clearly obvious you have partaken in rolling a 20 sided dice, at one point in your life lmao!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IMPORTANT TRAFFIC NOTE FOR SUNDAY'S (1/4) PLAYOFF GAME!
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 10:27 PM
  2. (MERGED) How important to the season is the first game vs GB on MNF?
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
  3. Browns game most important of year
    By RK. in forum Weekly Opponent Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 11:06 PM
  4. most important game of the season
    By lilvikes33 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 09:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •