Alcoholism. Disease or Addiction?

With the recent news regarding Koren's never-ending battle with the bottle, I was wondering, is alcoholism a disease or is it an addiction? Is there a difference? I know many people categorize it as a disease, but at the same time, unlike something such as cancer, you can't just stop having the negative affects of something like cancer with enough will power, education or moral support.

What do you think?
    Even babies know the difference.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Alcoholism. Disease or Addiction?

I would say both.
    You get addicted to it where you can't stop and it takes over your life.
    I think that's where it becomes a disease.

Prophet Guest

It's classified as a disease and I agree.
    I know too many people who's lives have been devastated by alcohol.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Disease.
    You have to have personal experience with it or someone very near to you to fully understand it's effects.
    Not be pompus, but IMHO it's tough to fully understand unless you do.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Yes its a disease.....smoking the cheeba is an addiction tho

I think it is both.
    First and foremost it's a disease, but I think the disease is what gets the person addicted.
    Knowing as many people that have dealt with the issue like Koren as I do, it's something very hard to shake.
    I wish him the best.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

One may have a genetic predisposition to become addicted to alcohol,but it is still a choice.Nice choice ,Koren.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't necessarily think it's a disease. Diseases are caught or acquired, not chosen. Now I know no one CHOOSES to become addicted to or dependant upon alcohol, but no one chooses to be addicted to cigarettes either, and I DEFINATELY don't think that's a disease. When it's all said and done, you choose to pick up that bottle and take that drink, so whatever happens afterward is your responsibility as well.

I wonder what singer would have to say about this. He's dealt with this whole issue a lot in his life, and I'm sure he could come up with some pretty compelling arguments either way.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a comedian I was watching said "Alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having."

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

There is a great South Park episode about this. I know a lot of you older guys on here might not watch the show, and just assume what you hear about it is true, and most of it is, but they really do talk about current events, and important issues, and at the end of most episodes there will be a speech by one of the boys that is actually great, and really get their message across. And the one about htis is probably the best one they've ever done.

Personally I do not believe it is a disease. There is only one cure to it, the only way to stop being an alcoholic is to stop drinking. A disease requires a medical cure(usually), I believe that alcoholism is an addiction you don't "choose" to become an alcoholic, but you do choose to start drinking, and maybe the drinking escalates as your life gets hectic, or you lose a family member or friend, but if you never picked up drinking as a comfort to begin with you would not become an alcoholic.

I guess I could say the same thing about obesity too, being that it is still your choice to put the food in your mouth, chew, and swallow. It starts as a comfort, and then gets out of control, however obesity is more arguably more preventable than alcoholism, being that you can exercise to prevent your body from forming what you consume into fat. I say arguably because you need food to live, but you don't NEED to drink alcohol, so realy if you never begin drinking, alcoholism is more preventable.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Disease.
    You have to have personal experience with it or someone very near to you to fully understand it's effects.
    Not be pompus, but IMHO it's tough to fully understand unless you do.
    BULLSHIT!!!!!!!
    it is no more a disease than smoking. i have been involved with this for most of my life with family members. i have no problem with anyone cutting loose with the beer or booze once in a while, (myself included), but to call it a disease is ludacrous.letting yourself become overcome by something is a weakness, but it sure as hell is not a disease any more than smoking.( hey, maybe smoking can be let back into minnneapolis bars because it is a disease, you have no control over it.)
    nobody is at fault for any of their actions anymore. DO NOT TRY TO FEED THAT DISEASE CRAP TO ANYONE. it is definetly a weakness, not a disease.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.