Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

After visiting the hospital today, I now am up to 3 needed surgerys. God Help Me

Not to long ago, I learned I'm dealing with some serious back issues. I have 3 herniated disc, disc disease, and arthritis through out most of my spinal cord...

Then I lost the feeling in one half of my right hand, I can't remember exactly, but carpel tunnel deals with one major nerve in the wrist, but the other major nerve is the one that I'm having problems with, it was something like the Orcale Nerve, but I was told surgery is the only cure.

Today, I went in for my neck, about 10 days ago, I hurt my neck when I was actually just pulling with both arms on a steel railing with all the strength I had.
    I felt an actual POP in my neck, it hurt very much, felt almost like someone drove a knife into my neck.
    I thought I just maybe pulled a muscle or strained it....It did nothing but get worse over the past 10 days, so I went to the hospital, they took some soft tissue x-rays and told me that I actually tore a muscle in my neck and there was also solid signs that I have damaged some ligaments and tendons..... :

This past year has been really tough on me, my body is breacking down from doing Concrete Construction for the past 23 years.
    I'm just so dam depressed over it all.....I think I'm going to go to Social Security this week and file for disability....At least that is what the doctors are telling me I should do.......It's just hard to swallow right now, I've always enjoyed working hard and I love my trade, but my body isn't thinking the same way as my head and heart does.....

We, thanks for just letting me get it out, it helps in so many ways...

SKOL,

VikingNed

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: After visiting the hospital today, I now am up to 3 needed surgerys. God Help Me

Hey Ned, I really hope you get this resolved and don't have to live in pain.
    Prayers your way buddy.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: After visiting the hospital today, I now am up to 3 needed surgerys. God Help Me

Dude!
    Hold on!
    I have had three knee surgeries and my right shoulder.
    I will soon be going in for surgery on my left shoulder.
    My back hurts all the time but I am afraid to have it checked.
    My left knee needs replaced but Im not old enough....so, I am in constant pain...walk with a limp...have to stomp and drag up and down stairs....its been going on for about 10 years now....you know what I live for (beside the kids etc)
    ......the hope that Ill get another blow job!
    LIVE ON! ROCK ON!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: After visiting the hospital today, I now am up to 3 needed surgerys. God Hel

That's tough Ned. You really havn't been able to catch a break for the last year that's for sure.

Being forced out of your trade is one of the toughest things in life. People often feel that they are worthless or they get scared because they have been puting their lifes in to doing this one thing that they are good at.

But what you need to focus on is that you have a wonderful family, and from what I can tell from your pictures a beautiful wife and son. Then I'll tell you what will happen. After a period of time you'll find that there is a lot of good things that you can do with you're life that doesn't involve lifting and pulling, and after a period of time you'll be amased that you ever had time to work because of all the new interesting things you've discovered. You'll look back at this as one of the best things that ever happend and as an important transitional period in your life.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ned, If you need the 3 surgeries, get the three surgeries. Putting them off isn't going to change the fact that they need to be done. The back surgery really needs to get done before you injure yourself even worse & risk getting to a point of no return. Your still able to walk, let's keep it that way.

Check into the disability, get a second opinion & get the surgeries taken care of regardless & worry about the rest of the things going on in your head at a later date.

You will be doing your family a lot more good if you get them taken care of now, than you would if you put them off & risk hurting yourself again permanentely. The price both monetarily, physically & mentally will be far greater if the latter happens. The doctor told you last time your lucky to be even walking.

I for one will be praying for you.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ned, I can relate with you.
    Although I have not been doing concrete, I know what it is like to have a physically demanding job everyday.
    I have poured before and it was not fun.

Even though I am on the electrical side now I still put my body through a lot.
    I spend a lot of time on ladders and crawling in awkward positions.
    For 8 years my job was very demanding.
    I did a ton a heavy jackhammering; my hands have never recovered.
    Hell, I cannot even give my wife a neck massage anymore because they instantly cramp up.
    I have problems with both of my knees and my feet are getting bad all of the sudden.
    This really bothers me because I am only 32 and all my life I have been fit and active.
    When I get out of bed I have to hold onto the dresser just to walk to the bathroom...it sucks.

I feel your pain Ned and I hope you can find some relief.
    Now you gotta start thinking of enjoying the rest of your life with your kids.
    God bless!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I hear ye about the mind and body having different opinions. I have had that too. I also know you can get this resolved and not be in pain for the rest of your life. Do what ye gotta do. Disability, surgery, whatever. Ye are a strong guy, Ned.......keep the faith.

LLnP

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Ned, sorry you have to go through this painful time.
    I'm sure everything will work out in the end.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

From one Concrete guy to another, Ned, I feel for ya! I've been doing Concrete/Masonry for only half of the time you have and I can still feel it some mornings.

But, I don't regret the hard work. My Dad has always been a "paper pusher" at Honeywell and his back has been bad since he was my age right now. I can remember him laying on the floor doing special "exercises" to relieve the pressure and stretch, ....it sucks. I hated seeing him in so much pain.

But, hang in there and get the needed surgerys, I think that was what helped my Dad a lot.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Ned take care and get better, I hurt my back once in my late 20's and it made me feel 80, after I recovered I've never had that problem again and I'm very thankful. Take the time now to recover so you can get David ready for the Oline.

Take care we're all pulling for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast