Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: AAAAGGHH!!! THIS IS EXCRUCIATING!!

Lol.. Sorry for the lack of explanation guys and girls.. I got a little caught up ni the moment..

So yeah, this match was the semi-final of the European Champions League, a pan-European football competition that is the most lucrative and most prestigious club cup competition in the World. The closest American example I can think of would be the NBA Conference Championships.. so I'll use that. Imagine the Conference Championships were played over 2 games, with 1 game at each venue (the home of one team, then the home of the other), and the team that scores the most points over the 2 games goes through.

Now back the to the Champions League. Arsenal had won the first tie, at Highbury (Arsenal's homefield) 1-0. They went to Villareal (in Spain just so you know) needing to draw (tie) the game, or win it, to go through. After 15 minutes it became obvious that Arsenal's tactics were to defend for dear life and hold onto their (slender) 1 goal advantage.

Basically, Villareal DOMINATED. Possession, chances, they had it all. They just couldn't score.

89 minutes pass, and Villareal win a penalty. Now a football game is 2 halves of 45 minutes each. So obviously there was only 1 minute left of normal time (injury time, added on at the end of the game to make up for stoppages and such, is called, interestingly enough, injury time). Now a penalty in football is lot like a penalty in ice hockey.

Without the run-up.

Without the pads.

Without the stick.

And the goal is about 10 times larger.

And you have to take the shot from 18 yards in front of the goal on the designated spot.

Basically, a penalty in football SHOULD result in a goal. The odds are highly-stacked in favour of the penalty-taker purely because the goalkeeper has to guess which way the penalty is going to go, and the goal is so big it's harder to miss than score.

HOWEVER.. With time ticking away, in front of his home fans screaming in support, Juan Roman Riquelme, arguably the second best player in the World at the moment, missed. Or rather, Jens Lehmann, the Arsenal goalkeeper, dived the right way and saved the penalty.

Arsenal went through on aggregate (the cumulative score over both legs, which was 1-0 thanks to the goal in the first leg) and now go onto the final of, as I said earlier, the most lucrative and most prestigious club cup competition in the World.

And I'm happy because Arsenal are my second favourite side, and it's an English team in the final of the competition for the second time in 2 years, which is always great.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Go Gunners!

Gift is offline Coordinator

with the new information, allow me to WOOT!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

boognish is offline Coordinator

It sounds exciting; I hope your team wins it all!
    I am a dipshit!!!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

CRAZY!!! though im still confused. is it your football our soccer or a hybrid football sport?
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    And I'm happy because Arsenal are my second favourite side, and it's an English team in the final of the competition for the second time in 2 years, which is always great.
    And what's your first favorite side?

When Fox started showing a lot of EPL here a few years back (and I started buying FIFA Soccer for my PS2), I picked Chelsea as the side I was going to support. This was prior to the crazy Russian buying the team, so at least I date back about 5 years, prior to their recent success.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    And what's your first favorite side?

When Fox started showing a lot of EPL here a few years back (and I started buying FIFA Soccer for my PS2), I picked Chelsea as the side I was going to support. This was prior to the crazy Russian buying the team, so at least I date back about 5 years, prior to their recent success.

=Z=
    Just beat everyone else jumping on the bandwagon eh? :wink:

My favourite team comes from the second tier of English football, the confusingly-named "The Championship", Luton Town.

Don't worry, I don't expect you to have heard of them! :grin:

Oh, and to Mr Woo.. I call it football because it IS football. "Soccer" was an old term created by people at Eton school (the really posh all boys school that the Royal family's kids go to) to abbreviate the term "Association Football", as it was then known.

Oh, and in the football that I described in this thread.. The players predominantly use their feet!!

:grin:

(Apart from the goalkeeper of course).

vikingTurf Guest

Gunners will be gunned down in the finals by the Barca side(I will have to eat my words if they somehow lose to AC Milan today) and Ronaldinho, sorry Benet :lol:

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    Gunners will be gunned down in the finals by the Barca side(I will have to eat my words if they somehow lose to AC Milan today) and Ronaldinho, sorry Benet :lol:
    Ronaldinho will be there.. But what about Leo Messi?

Will he even make the World Cup? He's still rehabbing in Argentina.

:wink:

Oh and don't worry, last night's Arsenal performance was there worst in Europe this season. Just remember they haven't lost in Europe this season, they haven't conceded since the group stage, and the manner in which they obliterated Juventus, beat Real Madrid 1-0 at the Bernabeau, should've scored 2 or 3 against Villareal in the first leg, and have shown how they can play different styles of football as the event demands it.

God I can't wait for the final.. If Barca get through tonight, I have no doubt it will be the most exciting match of the season. Both teams play football with passion, incredible technical ability, and ridiculous pace.

And don't forget, if Barca make it to the final, the winner of Arsenal v Barcelona will also be playing for the signature of Thierry Henry!

vikingTurf Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Ronaldinho will be there.. But what about Leo Messi?

Will he even make the World Cup? He's still rehabbing in Argentina.

:wink:

Oh and don't worry, last night's Arsenal performance was there worst in Europe this season. Just remember they haven't lost in Europe this season, they haven't conceded since the group stage, and the manner in which they obliterated Juventus, beat Real Madrid 1-0 at the Bernabeau, should've scored 2 or 3 against Villareal in the first leg, and have shown how they can play different styles of football as the event demands it.

God I can't wait for the final.. If Barca get through tonight, I have no doubt it will be the most exciting match of the season. Both teams play football with passion, incredible technical ability, and ridiculous pace.

And don't forget, if Barca make it to the final, the winner of Arsenal v Barcelona will also be playing for the signature of Thierry Henry!
    I am hoping Messi will be back in time before the world cup starts, even if he doesnt I will still be supporting argentina, my girlfriend is coming to visit me from london and she is bringing an argentina jersey for me :grin:
    Did u mean barca might sign Henry next season??? Damn I have a class soon, i can't watch Milan vs Barca going on right now

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast