Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 9-11-01....Where were you?

i was at school.. and my teacher said that she had to leave for a few minutes. We were doing some sort of project or something so I had to go make copies. I went in to make copies and all the teachers were having this weird meeting talking in hushed voices around a table with a tiny TV in the middle. I didn't really get it but I just made the copies and left. I found out in the car when my mom was taking me back home what had happened.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I was working a landscaping job at the time.
    During the first plane hit, I was in a bob cat loading boulders into the dump truck.
    My buddy came out of the truck and told me that a plane had crashed into the WTC.
    Moments later when we were driving to the job site, the second plane hit.
    We spent the rest of the day laying sod with the trunks of our cars open to hear the radio.
    Very sad day.
    Something that will never be forgotten.

mark is offline Asst. Coach

Iwas in huntsville alabama getting ready to pitch game 1 on the double A championship.i sleep in on game days but there was a pounding on the door at about noon.i didnt awnser the door but looked out the window and saw one of my teamates leaving with a upset look on his face then my wife says a plane hit the pent. and you know the rest.they eventually cancled the playoffs because about 10 of us woulnt play.they were trying to make us by saying"in 30 years youll be happy to have a ring"crazy
    <!--
    sig -->

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I was camping up in the mountains elk hunting. I never found out about it until three days after it happened.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

sodaknick is offline Starter

I was driving on my way to work in Bismarck, ND. Every morning I listened to NPR on my drive and that morning a reporter broke into the broadcast to say that a jet hit the world trade center. While she was talking, the second plane hit. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had. The NPR reporter was screaming the details and I was sure it was armageddon day. I arrived at the store I owned and turned on the TV in the back room just in time to see the towers fall. It was one of those JFK assasination kind of days. One I will never forget. One we all better never forget.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"VAKirks" wrote:
    I will never forget Columbine and I will never forget 9/11.
    They are my Kennedy and Pearl Harbor

I've never looked at the soldiers and sailors around here the same again.
    There are a couple of Navy pilots on my street alone. To think how they and their families serve me, mine, and all of ours.
    It gives me goosebumps.
    God bless every one of them, every soldier, every sailor, marine, police officer, firefighter, port authority,
    whatever...every single last one of them.
    Post of the Day!!! Ditto!!!

Nooks is offline Starter

I was at work...I worked for United Airlines. We were on complete lockdown, couldnt use phones, couldnt leave the premisis. We had no TVs or no comunication from the outside so we knew nothing except that it was 2 of our planes. At some points we were baracaded under our desks because of threats we were receiving. It was the scariest day of my life and one I dont talk about often.

Pirates4Vikings is offline Training Camp

I was in Pearl Harbor. My mom called and woke me up (it was sometime around 4:00 in the morning or so) and asked if I was watching the news. Obviously, I thought it was odd but I humored her and turned on the tv anyway. I stared in disbelief. After collecting what thoughts I could, I realized my sister was somewhere on the East Coast (it turned out that she was safe in Boston but I didn't know anything for several hours because phone lines were jammed) returning from a trip to Europe. She ended up stranded at the airport in Boston for a couple days. I went in to work and was pretty amazed that maybe 10% of the people knew what had happened. I ended up volunteering to go to 'Ground Zero' to help out anyway I could but two days after I got there the magnitude of the situation was realized and they sent active duty military back to their stations while they called the reservists in. I can assure you - I will never forget that scene. Nor will I forget going past the point that most people couldn't and feeling everything from pride to uncertainty. I may have only spent two days in New York but they are two days I'll remember like yesterday. Goosebumps and all.
    Who needs a Daunte when you have a Big Johnson?

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I was in my first hour at Roseville High School. I had just sat down, and the principal came over the PA system and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I want to inform you that an aircraft has just crashed in to one of the WTC towers."

My teacher turned the television on to CNN. There was a bunch of speculation about human error and such. I remember a split screen, with the reporter in one window, and a live shot of the towers in the other.

Just then, the second plane hit. At that point there was no more speculation. We were under attack, and we all knew it.

Watching those buildings collapse was horrible.

I still remember how strange it was to have the skies completely empty.

I worked at the OVAL in Roseville. Directly under the path of one of the F-16 patrol routes. Every 3 hours or so, sonic boom...

Last winter I traveled to New York. I cried like a baby when I saw ground zero.

[img width=400 height=300]http://photos-255.ak.facebook.com/ip007/v16/38/94/194001959/n194001959_30024255_2468.jpg[/img]

I can't believe we can allow ourselves to be hated so much. There has to be some way to find a lasting peace...
    -Sno

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I was pulling into one of my customers factory parking lots when my parents called me to tell me a plane had hit the WTC, I remember thinking maybe it was like a piper cub or something and some kind of accident.
    The the second plane hit while they were on the phone.
    I ran into the lobby and asked if they had any TV's in a conference room, they didnt know anything about it yet, and didnt have a TV hooked up to Cable or anything.

When I went into my appointment, the lady I had an appointment with's sister worked in WTC, and needless to say she was freaking out.
    She got ahold her mother had heard from her sister that she was OK after the planes hit, but later that day when I called her back she had lost contact with her sister when the towers went down and didnt know she was OK until the next day.

I left there and stopped in the first hotel I saw so I could sit in the lobby and watch.
    When the towers went down the hotel owner who was of middle eastern descent came out from behind the desk almost in tears and said "this is a bad day for Middle Eastern people", he said "Unfortunately for me, you know what kind of people did this."
    I am sure he was envisioning his hotel suffering for the backlash.
    I have stayed there a couple times since and it is still erie standing in that lobby where I watched it unfold.

The customer I saw that afternoon had brought a TV into his office from home at lunch time, we watched for a while, and we were planning on playing golf that afternoon.
    We thought about it, and decided that we just as well go do it to take our minds off it, but my customer wouldnt let me stay in a hotel that night I stayed at his house with his wife and kids and we all sat around together and that really made me feel better than I would have sitting in a hotel somewhere.
    I was on the phone with my wife and kids most of the night, and I really wished I could have been home that night with them instead.

I hope we never forget, and I for one think we should show footage of that day at least once a week on every major network.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast