Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 9-11-01....Where were you?

9/11 is one of those tragic moments in life that will be burned into almost every Americans brain, and even those who aren't worldwide.

I was recovering at home from reconstructive surgery to my right arm.
    I was watching some cartoons and playing with my son David who was 1 year 5 months and a day old at the time.....

My wife was working at the Big Y supermarket, in our town at the time.

My older sister called me and right away I could hear the horror and saddness in her voice, she told me a plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers in NYC.....I then switched over the TV to CNN and watched in disbelief, as I was watching and listening to reports, the second plane approached and hit the second tower.

At that moment, I new it was more than just an accident and that terrorist had to be behind such a heartless and horific act.

I sat on the floor in front of the TV and held my son in my arms....

A Day I Will Never Forget.
    :'(

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i just got out of bed and came downstairs to see the tv on. then i saw a plane hit the building. crazy. had to go to school that day and it was pretty much all we watched. i dont think any work was done that day
    We're bringing purple back.

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

Sept 11, 2001
    I was in a Coast Guard "C" school for airframe and powerplant troubleshooting/maintenance at Elizabeth City, NC.
    We were working on a troubleshooting problem when the instructor said that we should go into the classroon and see what was going on.
    Needless to say, I was watching when the second tower was hit.
    The following days were crazy for us in the Coast Guard.
    This event caused a serious shift in focus for us.
    Search and Rescue will always be there, but we are needed to be the Coast GUARD.
    The job that I am in now is a direct result of 9-11-01.

God grant peace to the families of the victims.
    May we as a nation never forget.
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i just remember something from that '01.. there was an issue of time magazine (or im pretty sure it was time..... might have been People) with the twin towers on the cover.. there were a lot of images and articles about the attack, and it was the most graphic images of victims that i had seen yet

not sure if any of you saw that also, i know i've always look for it since then.. its one i'd like to keep, wish i had

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

9-11 is my grandmothers birthday. So when I first heard about it I was in train on my way to visit her, when I overheard someone talking lowdly on his cell. At first I thought it was an ignorant joke, untill I asked a woman coming on the train if she had heard anything on the news.

This year I will also be going home to my birthtown on that day, to my grandmothers 80th birthdayparty.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

I was on active duty Stationed at RAF Lakenheath, My troop had just got back from lunch and said turn on CNN, something happened at the WTC. We could see the smoke coming out of one of the towers and they were talking about what a horrible accident this was, and how much loss of life this may have caused, and the second plane hit the other tower!!!

I had to go upstairs to surgery (I work in the Hospital) to do a case and the float nurse kept coming in with updates,......another one hit the Pentagon,.....another went down in a field in Pa. There were rumors about explosions all over D.C.

No one was allowed to leave the base untill like 9:00 PM,......We went on the Highest alert status since the Cuban Missle crisis in the early 60's,......never forget that day,.....or the ones to follow!!!
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

VAKirks is offline Training Camp

I was at work, teaching reading to 7th and 8th graders.
    I didn’t even know anything was going on until well after the 2nd plane hit.
    The teachers who were off that class were gathered around in the media center when the towers collapsed.
    CNN or whoever started the speculation that it had to be al-Qeida and one of the other teachers there around the TV whispered, “Blow them all to Hell.”
    I remember wondering if it was the start of WWIII.

Later, alone in my classroom, I kind of lost it.
    Tossing desks around and trying not to scream.
    The assistant principal had to come in and see if I could make it the rest of the day.
    My wife had just had our second child and everything was just so messed up.
    I got it together in time for my next class.

I work in Norfolk, home of the largest Navy base in the Atlantic, as well as multiple Army installations, not to mention the Coast Guard and others.
    The military began taking their children out of school early that day. We were all just in survival mode.
    They closed the school that sits right next to the base.
    No one knew what was going to happen next.

America woke up that day, at the cost of 3,000+ innocent lives.
    I just hope we don’t go back to sleep again.
    But with our fast food mentality, I’m afraid it may be inevitable. Warnings like the 21 arrested in London for what they almost did just aren’t enough to shake us.

I will never forget Columbine and I will never forget 9/11.
    They are my Kennedy and Pearl Harbor

I've never looked at the soldiers and sailors around here the same again.
    There are a couple of Navy pilots on my street alone. To think how they and their families serve me, mine, and all of ours.
    It gives me goosebumps.
    God bless every one of them, every soldier, every sailor, marine, police officer, firefighter, port authority,
    whatever...every single last one of them.
    Bring me the prisoners; I want them alive!

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

I was in the 10th grade when 9/11 happended and I'm pretty sure it was during social studies class. We also had a TV in the room, so my teacher turned it on and everyone was wondering what was going on.

Eventually, they reported that it was an act of terrorism and that's something I'll remember for the rest of my life.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i was in the fifth grade and just got home from chool. i ran up to my room to watch my favorite cartoons and saw there was some news story on. i was really mad until i started watching it and finding out what happened. i ran down to tell my mom but she of course already knew. so we just talked about it and wathed it on tv. will never forget it.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

"VAKirks" wrote:
    I was at work, teaching reading to 7th and 8th graders.
    I didn’t even know anything was going on until well after the 2nd plane hit.
    The teachers who were off that class were gathered around in the media center when the towers collapsed.
    CNN or whoever started the speculation that it had to be al-Qeida and one of the other teachers there around the TV whispered, “Blow them all to Hell.”
    I remember wondering if it was the start of WWIII.

Later, alone in my classroom, I kind of lost it.
    Tossing desks around and trying not to scream.
    The assistant principal had to come in and see if I could make it the rest of the day.
    My wife had just had our second child and everything was just so messed up.
    I got it together in time for my next class.

I work in Norfolk, home of the largest Navy base in the Atlantic, as well as multiple Army installations, not to mention the Coast Guard and others.
    The military began taking their children out of school early that day. We were all just in survival mode.
    They closed the school that sits right next to the base.
    No one knew what was going to happen next.

America woke up that day, at the cost of 3,000+ innocent lives.
    I just hope we don’t go back to sleep again.
    But with our fast food mentality, I’m afraid it may be inevitable. Warnings like the 21 arrested in London for what they almost did just aren’t enough to shake us.

I will never forget Columbine and I will never forget 9/11.
    They are my Kennedy and Pearl Harbor

I've never looked at the soldiers and sailors around here the same again.
    There are a couple of Navy pilots on my street alone. To think how they and their families serve me, mine, and all of ours.
    It gives me goosebumps.
    God bless every one of them, every soldier, every sailor, marine, police officer, firefighter, port authority,
    whatever...every single last one of them.
    Norfolk huh?
    I'm stationed at Langley AFB.

I was on my way to work, a beautiful day outside.
    I was a computer guy for a one-star general.
    When I got to the office, the executive officer, secretary, my supervisor, were all missing.
    They were all in the general's office watching everything unfold.
    My unit had people visiting the Pentagon on 9/11, so we had to do casualty reports, luckily, all of our members were unharmed.

There were 4 F-16s were scrambled from Langley (192nd Fighter Wing) to intercept the 2nd plane on its way to DC.
    Rumors were circulating the base for weeks after wards that our birds shot down Flight 93.

I remember that night being with my wife, 4 yr old daughter and 1 yr old son and feeling how lucky I was to be with them.
    We went to the store so I could get some cigarettes.
    I got out of the car to get them, when I got back in, the radio had a bunch of people singing "God Bless America", I found out later it was congress singing.
    As we entered Langley's base housing, I remember seeing humvees driving around with M-60s in the turret and SPs in full body armor; a truly un-nerving sight.

I feel like too many fellow americans have forgotten about that horrific day and it's only a matter of time before we have to confront another one.
    We as a country need to get stronger and continue to defeat these terrorists.

Never forget 9/11 and God bless all those who perished on that dreadful day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast