8 awesome things you can implant into your body

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/05/8-...lants.php#more

Wolverine is out this weekend, and invariably people start thinking, WOW that would be an awesome power to have.
    Time, medical science is progressing so fast, I might just live a little longer despite all the abuse I've subjected this body to.

[img width=450 height=327]http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/04/wolverine_implants-thumb-550x400-17373.jpg[/img]

My personal favorite:

Just the name alone is awesome

5. Eyeborg
    Filmmaker Rob Spence beat us to the punch with his awesome planned video camera prosthetic eye. He named it after the Borg and the added LED has him looking as handsome as any Terminator. What's there left for us to do? Compare it to the X-Men, that's what.

In the future: There's a pretty rich stable of glowy-eyed heroes and villains in the Marvel universe. (Actually, you could probably find any Marvel character with LED-like eyes somewhere in the plethora of comics.) We'll give this one to Cable, though, who rocks a bionic eye (nice try, Longshot — you're not fooling anyone). Rob Spence already plans to put a video camera in his prosthetic, now he just needs to include a variety of vision enhancers and he'll be a match for the time traveling cyborg.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re: 8 awesome things you can implant into your body

Waiting for some of these advanced legs to come down a little in price.. higher tech legs price over 100k.

Currently it cost me around 30k... little too steep a price yet.

dfosterf is offline Coach

"pack93z" wrote:
    Waiting for some of these advanced legs to come down a little in price.. higher tech legs price over 100k.

Especially when you factor in continued firearm ownership and the consumption of adult beverages.

"pack93z" wrote:

Price will come down eventually, these students at Stanford are taking steps in the right direction.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/04/stanford-studen.php

Stanford students create a prosthetic leg that works for only $20

[img width=450 height=303]http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/04/JaipurKnee-Project-cheap-prosthetic-thumb-550x371-16564.jpg[/img]
    The JaipurKnee Project started when Biomedical Device Design and Evaluation students at Stanford University were tasked with creating a prosthetic leg that was as awesome sturdy as it was amazingly cheap. What they came up with is the leg you see above, which allows this gentleman to walk naturally again, and the prosthetic limb only costs $20.

While impressive advances in prosthetic technology have created arms that function almost as well as the ones lost — and even new eyes to see — obtaining said artificial limbs is expensive, and not a viable solution for most of the rest of the world. Legs like the JaipurKnee Project produces, on the other hand, while not as technically impressive, restore the basic function of natural walking, which in itself is impressive enough.

Thanks for the article.

Well, after the last kick in the ass from the insurance company I have said the hell with it.

A local machine shop, a bearing company out of Dallas, Tx, and a little outside the box thinking and we have started to remake my own parts at this point. The knee cylinder has been the biggest challenge to get set and working.. but the rest has been pretty straight forward.

Last set of simple parts quoted from the Hospital was over $900.. I got the parts for 27.80 cents plus gas running around..

But I am really interested in some of the work in California with robotics and C-leg technologies.. flat surfaces aren't a big challenge but hunting and walking hills and valleys are.. looking for the next generation of technologies to evolve and become affordable.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    Thanks for the article.

Well, after the last kick in the ass from the insurance company I have said the hell with it.

A local machine shop, a bearing company out of Dallas, Tx, and a little outside the box thinking and we have started to remake my own parts at this point. The knee cylinder has been the biggest challenge to get set and working.. but the rest has been pretty straight forward.

Last set of simple parts quoted from the Hospital was over $900.. I got the parts for 27.80 cents plus gas running around..

But I am really interested in some of the work in California with robotics and C-leg technologies.. flat surfaces aren't a big challenge but hunting and walking hills and valleys are.. looking for the next generation of technologies to evolve and become affordable.
    With an advanced leg, can you still enter "1-legged man ass-kicking contests"?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    With an advanced leg, can you still enter "1-legged man ass-kicking contests"?

=Z=
    Yes.. it would be a heightened form of ass kicking.
    ;D

"pack93z" wrote:
    Thanks for the article.

Well, after the last kick in the jiggly butt from the insurance company I have said the hell with it.

Well, if your going to be a rustic individualist (the only REAL kind) this site might be a stop gap.
    If you scroll down through the images you will see a template and assembly instructions.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/03/2...lk-with-pride/

There is also this article, but I think it is designed for people with weakened muscles, torn ligaments, or degenatrive diseases (but I swear it looks more like a sex toy).
    I know, its a perverted view :-[

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/11/hondas-robo-leg.php

[img width=450 height=317]http://dvice.com/pics/hondawalk.jpg[/img]

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

We should have held on to Twill for a couple years and gave him a bionic eye and then some of them wolverine claws.
    Maybe we could have had a #2 WR
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Thanks Bkfldviking.. interesting reading.. and yes that Honda contraption looks a little like.. I think you said it best. :lol: