Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

7'8 college basketball center

Ventura stands tall in victory
    With 7-foot-8 Sun making debut, men need 2 OTs to win

By Joe Curley, [email protected]
    December 31, 2005

Sun Ming Ming set them in the seats. And the rest of the Ventura College men's basketball team did the rest, transforming a entertaining spectacle into an enthralling basketball game. And a rare intersectional win.

Danny Tavares had 22 points and Danny Mena added 17 points and nine rebounds as the No. 14 Pirates edged Southeastern Community College of Iowa, 82-81, in double overtime Friday night at the VC Athletic Event Center.

Advertisement

Behind the boost provided in both size and energy by Sun, the 7-foot-83/4 center playing his only game in an orange-and-black uniform, Ventura (16-5) held the lead for much of regulation before Southeastern edged ahead late in the second half behind sophomore guard Courtney Horton and sophomore forward Terrance Carter.

A pair of Hylas Smith (16 points) 3-pointers and some nice combination play by the frontcourt duo of Tavares and Mena helped Ventura force overtime after a final 10-minute stretch that included eight ties.

"We're going to stay right here and welcome in the New Year," said Ventura public address announcer Ric Ruffinelli after Ventura guard Charles Dillon dribbled coast to coast and converted an acrobatic layup to force the second overtime.

With Dillon out of fouls and on the bench, it was point guard Trevor Breland whose 3-pointer helped Ventura build a four-point lead in the second extra session that Ventura leveraged into the final score.

"I've been waiting for it," said Breland.

Ventura coach Greg Winslow wasn't happy that several of his players missed free throws down the stretch, allowing Southeastern extra opportunities.

"Free throws have hurt us all year," said Winslow. "We gave them the game three different times. Southeastern just didn't want to take it."

The overflow crowd squealed in delight of its first glimpse of Sun when he ran out of the team room for warmups.

"I'm not going to lie," said Winslow, "it touched me."

Winslow stayed with his typical starting lineup but Sun made his debut just 3:13 into play, along with fellow reserves Kenjii Rocket, David Van Someren, Tommy Young and Brandon Dixon.

On the next possession, Sun got the ball on the left block and found Rocket cutting to the basket for an assist and a raucous cheer.

The noise only increased 90 seconds later when Van Someren saved a loose ball underneath the Ventura basket for Sun, who turned and scored on the left block.

Sun's burst helped Ventura build an early 13-5 lead, an edge it held for much of the first half.

"It was fun," said Tavares. "I really wanted to see Sun dunk on somebody, but he always looks to pass to his teammates. That's how he is."

Sun took a Rocket pass with little more than nine minutes left and, barely leaving his tip-toes, dunked with his right hand.

The bucket was nullified as Sun was whistled for a foul, as his 335-pound body bore through a Blackhawks defender.

"That's just Sun though," said Dillon, pleading with an official.

Sun was, however, one of the few Pirates to make his free throws. He buried a pair midway through the second half that earned him an ovation.

He finished with four points, a rebound, an assist and mixed emotions.

"It's my first game and also my last game," said Sun, who is not eligible to play against California competition. "I really liked how the crowd came out. There were a lot of people who were cheering for me. It was really nice."

He was disappointed in his performance, citing the lack of stamina he showed, especially in the first half. But overall, most onlookers came away impressed.

"He's got a nice little touch, he can pass and, when the ball's in his hands, it doesn't leave it," said SCC coach Tim Walsh, who formerly coached with Venturan Steve Hawkins, now the Western Michigan coach. "If somebody teaches him how to run, he's got a chance of being a great player. ... He's going to make some money playing basketball somewhere."

Southeastern (7-9), a scholarship school from Burlington, Iowa, won the National Junior College Athletic Association in 2001, 2003 and 2004. It finished 0-2 on its California trip, falling by 21 points to No. 1 Fullerton Thursday, but the voice of KBUR 1490 AM of Burlington broadcasted from the seaside well past midnight Central Standard Time.

Ventura played in the NJCAA tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas in the early 1950s before the California schools, citing th high cost of traveling, left the national association for a statewide one.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 7'8 college basketball center

WOW, that guys pretty big, how tall is yow ming?

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Wow that's amazing...and we all probably have the same height difference between us and what seems like all the "short guys" out there. Imagine standing next to the guy!
    ;-)

7-6

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Why is he not eligible to play against California competition? What a waste!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

maybe eligibility?? But for sure we are gonna see him in the NBA somewhere.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Wow, that's tall.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

number 10 looks tiny and is giving body language that he's scared hahaha

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Wow! That dude is on his tippy toes and his hand still about the height of the top of his head..

sharper42 is offline Pro-Bowler

"vikingstw" wrote:
    WOW, that guys pretty big, how tall is yow ming?
    7"6
    our only sure-handed receiver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast