Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    45 lessons life taught me...

    I rather enjoyed this, and many of the life lessons on this list are things that many of us, including (especially) me, could stand to be more cognizant of.

    Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio

    "To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me... It is the most-requested column I've ever written. My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:”

    1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
    2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
    3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone...
    4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
    5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
    6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
    7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
    8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
    9. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.
    10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
    11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
    12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
    13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
    14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
    15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
    16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
    17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
    18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
    19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
    20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
    21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
    22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
    23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
    24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
    25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
    26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ’In five years, will this matter?'
    27. Always choose life.
    28. Forgive everyone everything.
    29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
    30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
    31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change
    32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
    33. Believe in miracles.
    34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
    35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
    36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
    37. Your children get only one childhood.
    38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
    39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
    40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
    41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
    42. The best is yet to come.
    43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
    44. Yield.
    45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    Some good advice there...much of it only comes through many years of life's experiences.


    21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
    I'm saving my lingerie. ;D


    23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
    Best advice of all...wear purple today and every day.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  3. #3
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,533

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
    That's like Japanese to me... what does it say?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
    That's like Japanese to me... what does it say?
    lol.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    Tad7's Avatar
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    That was pretty awesome
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

    X MARKS THE SPOT

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    Some good stuff there.
    Anyone notice what opened and closed her list?

    1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
    45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    I like them all, but these two help me make through the day, everyday.

    8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
    34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

  8. #8
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
    31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change
    32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does

  9. #9
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    Some of them aren't that great, but its a list from an old woman. can't be perfect.
    We're bringing purple back.

  10. #10
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,778

    Re: 45 lessons life taught me...

    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
    That's like Japanese to me... what does it say?
    It said if you get married don't forget to build yourself a comfy doghouse ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What The Vikings Taught The NFL This Season
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
  2. Britney Spears taught her sister well
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 07:23 AM
  4. Burglar says TV taught him his craft
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
  5. Jackson soaking up lessons
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •