Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Del Rio Guest

Re: 2005 Vikings Team Photo

Slap your kid around make him hit the books :grin:

An acedemic scholarship is more stable then an athletic one. I had my athletic scholarship yoinked after my sophmore year so they could recruit better players. The net season I paid my own tuition. Started playing better/more and landed an atheltic/acedemic scholarship.

I bet your kid rocks in school too. Just saying seems like the acedemic route is more of a guaranteed thing. At least at my school they could pull your sports scholarship if something more shiney caught their eye!

PS the big lineman kid in the middle back with the fro is a beast LOL.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

We really stress academics with him. He knows that most, not all, cannot make it by on just athletics.

Yeah, the big dude is only 8. His nickname was "ice-breaker" for his ability to break through and make big plays!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Is the kid in the back row middle related to Korey Stringer? jk looks like a good set of kids!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

I'm with you, Dpep, living in the northern suburbs of chi-town. My wife and her entire family are bears fans. I have a 2 year old son, and it's going to be a tough battle to get him to be a Vikings fan. He really likes his grandpa. However, the Vikings are poised for some winning seasons during his formative years, and the bears aren't. That can make a big difference with little kids. I have hope.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    We really stress academics with him. He knows that most, not all, cannot make it by on just athletics.

Yeah, the big dude is only 8. His nickname was "ice-breaker" for his ability to break through and make big plays!
    That's awesome, make sure he keeps having fun with it. It's the pits when you aren't having any fun with a sport and you feel obligated to put your time in. I'm glad he's enjoying his football and keeping his academics up!

And you're right about not making it on athletics alone. It's also important to have good grades if you're planning on going to college for a sport, it makes you much more attractive to the coaches. We had a kid at my high school last year who was a good football player with good size, but most of all he had all his talent that came along with a 4.2 GPA, that made him MUCH more attractive to colleges. He ended up getting a scholarship to go to Stanford, so the 1-2 punch of academics and athletics helped him out a lot!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

That's awesome, make sure he keeps having fun with it. It's the pits when you aren't having any fun with a sport and you feel obligated to put your time in. I'm glad he's enjoying his football and keeping his academics up!

And you're right about not making it on athletics alone. It's also important to have good grades if you're planning on going to college for a sport, it makes you much more attractive to the coaches. We had a kid at my high school last year who was a good football player with good size, but most of all he had all his talent that came along with a 4.2 GPA, that made him MUCH more attractive to colleges. He ended up getting a scholarship to go to Stanford, so the 1-2 punch of academics and athletics helped him out a lot!
    As long as I can live through my son's accomplishments! :lol: j/k!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    As long as I can live through my son's accomplishments! :lol: j/k!
    Hey, as long as they don't find out about it... :razz:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234