Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

[size=12pt]20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover[/size]
    Posted Jul 27th 2007 1:55AM
    by Michael David Smith

In the wake of the Michael Vick indictment, both NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Falcons general manager Rich McKay have said they didn't even know dog fighting existed until they heard the allegations against Vick.

That's odd because there has been plenty of media coverage of dog fighting long before the Vick case, including Sports Illustrated featuring a fighting pit bull on its cover on July 27, 1987 -- 20 years ago today...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: 20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

Bullshit.
    You would have to love in a closet if you claim you have never known dog fighting exists.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    In the wake of the Michael Vick indictment, both NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Falcons general manager Rich McKay have said they didn't even know dog fighting existed until they heard the allegations against Vick.

That's odd because there has been plenty of media coverage of dog fighting long before the Vick case, including Sports Illustrated featuring a fighting pit bull on its cover on July 27, 1987 -- 20 years ago today...
    One of the scariest moments of my life happened back in '92 or '93.
    My ultimate disc team in NYC had a night practice on a lighted field on 125th street on the Upper East Side - which is the heart of Harlem (not that that matters, other than the one black guy on the team wouldn't walk with our group on the way back to the Subway later, since he didn't want to get hassled for being with a bunch of white guys).

Anyway, when we arrived at the field, there were maybe 200 people gathered around one of the softball fields at the south end of the complex.
    They were yelling and cheering around what we later saw were a couple of pit bulls going at each other.
    It was scary to watch, because the energy in the crowd was crackling and volatile.
    Eventually, as I recall it, a cop came cruising by and that broke up the party and we had our practice.
    But I'll never forget it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Bullshit.
    You would have to love in a closet if you claim you have never known dog fighting exists.
    You need to come out of that closet Ultra.. Time to "LOVE" in the open.
    ;D

WWBGD

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

One of the scariest moments of my life happened back in '92 or '93.
    My ultimate disc team in NYC had a night practice on a lighted field on 125th street on the Upper East Side - which is the heart of Harlem (not that that matters, other than the one black guy on the team wouldn't walk with our group on the way back to the Subway later, since he didn't want to get hassled for being with a bunch of white guys).

Anyway, when we arrived at the field, there were maybe 200 people gathered around one of the softball fields at the south end of the complex.
    They were yelling and cheering around what we later saw were a couple of pit bulls going at each other.
    It was scary to watch, because the energy in the crowd was crackling and volatile.
    Eventually, as I recall it, a cop came cruising by and that broke up the party and we had our practice.
    But I'll never forget it.

=Z=
    Did you win any money?