Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

    [size=12pt]20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover[/size]
    Posted Jul 27th 2007 1:55AM
    by Michael David Smith



    In the wake of the Michael Vick indictment, both NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Falcons general manager Rich McKay have said they didn't even know dog fighting existed until they heard the allegations against Vick.

    That's odd because there has been plenty of media coverage of dog fighting long before the Vick case, including Sports Illustrated featuring a fighting pit bull on its cover on July 27, 1987 -- 20 years ago today...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  2. #2
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: 20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

    Bullshit.
    You would have to love in a closet if you claim you have never known dog fighting exists.

  3. #3
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: 20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

    "Prophet" wrote:
    In the wake of the Michael Vick indictment, both NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Falcons general manager Rich McKay have said they didn't even know dog fighting existed until they heard the allegations against Vick.

    That's odd because there has been plenty of media coverage of dog fighting long before the Vick case, including Sports Illustrated featuring a fighting pit bull on its cover on July 27, 1987 -- 20 years ago today...
    One of the scariest moments of my life happened back in '92 or '93.
    My ultimate disc team in NYC had a night practice on a lighted field on 125th street on the Upper East Side - which is the heart of Harlem (not that that matters, other than the one black guy on the team wouldn't walk with our group on the way back to the Subway later, since he didn't want to get hassled for being with a bunch of white guys).

    Anyway, when we arrived at the field, there were maybe 200 people gathered around one of the softball fields at the south end of the complex.
    They were yelling and cheering around what we later saw were a couple of pit bulls going at each other.
    It was scary to watch, because the energy in the crowd was crackling and volatile.
    Eventually, as I recall it, a cop came cruising by and that broke up the party and we had our practice.
    But I'll never forget it.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #4
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,443

    Re: 20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Bullshit.
    You would have to love in a closet if you claim you have never known dog fighting exists.
    You need to come out of that closet Ultra.. Time to "LOVE" in the open.
    ;D

    WWBGD

  5. #5
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: 20 Years Ago Today, Sports Illustrated Featured Pit Bulls on Its Cover

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    In the wake of the Michael Vick indictment, both NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Falcons general manager Rich McKay have said they didn't even know dog fighting existed until they heard the allegations against Vick.

    That's odd because there has been plenty of media coverage of dog fighting long before the Vick case, including Sports Illustrated featuring a fighting pit bull on its cover on July 27, 1987 -- 20 years ago today...
    One of the scariest moments of my life happened back in '92 or '93.
    My ultimate disc team in NYC had a night practice on a lighted field on 125th street on the Upper East Side - which is the heart of Harlem (not that that matters, other than the one black guy on the team wouldn't walk with our group on the way back to the Subway later, since he didn't want to get hassled for being with a bunch of white guys).

    Anyway, when we arrived at the field, there were maybe 200 people gathered around one of the softball fields at the south end of the complex.
    They were yelling and cheering around what we later saw were a couple of pit bulls going at each other.
    It was scary to watch, because the energy in the crowd was crackling and volatile.
    Eventually, as I recall it, a cop came cruising by and that broke up the party and we had our practice.
    But I'll never forget it.

    =Z=
    Did you win any money?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
  2. Sports Illustrated: Like Nothing You've Ever Seen Before
    By HEY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
  3. Adrian Peterson featured in USA Today story.
    By Turboe in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 08:25 AM
  4. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Girl: Beyonce
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
  5. Sports Illustrated
    By DeathtoDenny in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 05:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •