Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

19-year-old to graduate college after year

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. - A 19-year-old suburban Detroit resident is on track to graduate from The University of Michigan after just a year of study.

Nicole Matisse, of Bloomfield Hills, is to officially graduate in the summer with a bachelor's degree in psychology.

As a student at Lahser High School, Matisse had exhausted the curriculum by her junior year. Between the exams she passed on eight advanced placement courses and the eight classes she took at Oakland Community College, she had amassed enough credits to enter the university last fall as a junior.

"When I got to U-M, I only took 19 credits, and I was bored and craved more credits," she told The Detroit News for a Wednesday story. "So even when I took 27 credits this semester, I felt I could have added even more."

It's unclear whether any other students have done what Matisse will accomplish this year, but Donna Wessel Walker, assistant director of the honors program, said she's never seen it happen.

"She's taking in one semester the course load that most people take in two," Wessel Walker said. "She is one determined young lady."

Matisse's next step is to start as a first-year student at the Wayne State University law school in Detroit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_fe_st/quick_study;_ylt=AujcnYap6kynM.OVyTdUMwssQE4F

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 19-year-old to graduate college after year

That chick needs to calm down, I still view college as the best four years of my life. I don't even consider that as an accomplishment. I consider it sad that she had an opportunity to have a great time, and learn some people skills, but instead wasted it all away because she was studying 24/7. Bookworm! Lame!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. - A 19-year-old suburban Detroit resident is on track to graduate from The University of Michigan after just a year of study.

Nicole Matisse, of Bloomfield Hills, is to officially graduate in the summer with a bachelor's degree in psychology.

As a student at Lahser High School, Matisse had exhausted the curriculum by her junior year. Between the exams she passed on eight advanced placement courses and the eight classes she took at Oakland Community College, she had amassed enough credits to enter the university last fall as a junior.

"When I got to U-M, I only took 19 credits, and I was bored and craved more credits," she told The Detroit News for a Wednesday story. "So even when I took 27 credits this semester, I felt I could have added even more."

It's unclear whether any other students have done what Matisse will accomplish this year, but Donna Wessel Walker, assistant director of the honors program, said she's never seen it happen.

"She's taking in one semester the course load that most people take in two," Wessel Walker said. "She is one determined young lady."

Matisse's next step is to start as a first-year student at the Wayne State University law school in Detroit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_fe_st/quick_study;_ylt=AujcnYap6kynM.OVyTdUMwssQE4F
    Wayne State Law School...that school is not very highly ranked...so she can't be THAT smart...says something about the educational qualities of Michigan..and I am sure that Ultra would agree with me on that one!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

Wayne State Law School...that school is not very highly ranked...so she can't be THAT smart...says something about the educational qualities of Michigan..and I am sure that Ultra would agree with me on that one!
    ;D
    Caj!
    First off, I'm going to take the highroad and stay away from a comeback.
    I have learned through my years in Michigan schools that some people just can't be reasoned with, mostly those from the south.

Secondly, this girl is ridiculous.
    I'm going to take a guess and say that this girl has no friends.
    If you can't find anything to fill your free time with besides more homework, you need a buddy.
    Or a TV.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

What a bunch of haters. This girl works her butt off and graduates at 19 and you all think she is lame? She took classes in high school so she wouldn't have to rack up student loans, then she worked extra hard to get the work done in a shorter time. Just because you are all a little intimidated by a girl that is WAY smarter than you doesn't mean you have to be a HATER.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    What a bunch of haters. This girl works her butt off and graduates at 19 and you all think she is lame? She took classes in high school so she wouldn't have to rack up student loans, then she worked extra hard to get the work done in a shorter time. Just because you are all a little intimidated by a girl that is WAY smarter than you doesn't mean you have to be a HATER.
    I agree, high school is a joke.
    There is no reason not to get your college degree by that time.
    She will be living a higher quality of life, have her education done, and still be young.
    Good for her.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    And when she's seeing a shrink and popping pills in a couple of years, wishing that she had stayed in college longer and made some friends, i'll still be as big of a hater. I know people like this and I pity them rather than envy them. They care so much about the future that they let the present slip away.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    And when she's seeing a shrink and popping pills in a couple of years, wishing that she had stayed in college longer and made some friends, i'll still be as big of a hater. I know people like this and I pity them rather than envy them. They care so much about the future that they let the present slip away.
    I know people like this that live full lives too.
    I know a woman where I live that is 19, finished her BS in mechanical engineering and plays 4 different instruments, dances, plays on the softball team and was recently admitted to VA tech for her MS program.

Face it, HS is a joke and you can easily take college courses during that time and still have a life.
    Some can anyway.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    Ha,

Nothing wrong with determination and taking college courses in HS but, 27 credits a semester?
    They are honest haters at least.

Not that this girl won't be successful but recruiters prefer that their prospect not be an socially akward nerd.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Nothing wrong with taking a couple of AP's per year in Junior and Senior year of HS but that's pretty ridiculous. I'm serious, when she's 40 the whole "I never had a life when i was young" thing is going to hit her pretty hard. Thats why people have midlife crisis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast