Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: 16-year-old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero

"baumy300" wrote:
    Hundreds of kids drop out of school each week. No one seems to get all bent out of shape then. Usually they drop out to join gangs, sell smack, steal shit, etc... No one cares then, but when some kid (yes it probably isn't the best idea, but still) drops out to pursue something somewhat positive that could translate into honest cash, people are all over his nuts.

Not a huge deal. If he wins 80k in the next year and goes back to finish school at even 19-20 years old he is still in better shape than anyone I know at 25. Imagine winning 50 to 80k. He could pay for college, start a business, invest money, etc...

Besides, it's better than having him sit in school and use our tax dollars to fail and get picked on. Sounds like one less d-bag we have to worry about bringing a gun to school anyways.

Rock on emo kid!
    LOL! Like I stated in an earlier thread, I highly doubt a 16 year old kid would spend his money wisely on those sorts of things.

Other than perhaps buying a car, he would more than likely blow that money quite quickly on "toys" or partying with his friends. Also, like the author stated, there is a lot of money spent by the contestants of these tournaments. Air fair/traveling costs, lodging, eating, etc & other hidden costs not taken into account.

While there is the chance of winning, there's a greater chance of losing as well. Those kids go home empty handed. Also, if you win one, that doesn't mean you'll win all or a majority of them.

You can also bet that if there was a thread started here about a kid that dropped out of school to join a gang, steal or sell drugs, there would be people harping on them as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    Hundreds of kids drop out of school each week. No one seems to get all bent out of shape then. Usually they drop out to join gangs, sell smack, steal shit, etc... No one cares then, but when some kid (yes it probably isn't the best idea, but still) drops out to pursue something somewhat positive that could translate into honest cash, people are all over his nuts.

Not a huge deal. If he wins 80k in the next year and goes back to finish school at even 19-20 years old he is still in better shape than anyone I know at 25. Imagine winning 50 to 80k. He could pay for college, start a business, invest money, etc...

Besides, it's better than having him sit in school and use our tax dollars to fail and get picked on. Sounds like one less d-bag we have to worry about bringing a gun to school anyways.

Rock on emo kid!

LOL! Like I stated in an earlier thread, I highly doubt a 16 year old kid would spend his money wisely on those sorts of things.

Other than perhaps buying a car, he would more than likely blow that money quite quickly on "toys" or partying with his friends. Also, like the author stated, there is a lot of money spent by the contestants of these tournaments. Air fair/traveling costs, lodging, eating, etc & other hidden costs not taken into account.

While there is the chance of winning, there's a greater chance of losing as well. Those kids go home empty handed. Also, if you win one, that doesn't mean you'll win all or a majority of them.

You can also bet that if there was a thread started here about a kid that dropped out of school to join a gang, steal or sell drugs, there would be people harping on them as well.

Not one that thought the idea of dropping out of school to play guitar hero was brilliant. Soon he will no longer be under the monetary wing of Mommy and realize how stupid this decision was. Video games are not real life.

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    Hundreds of kids drop out of school each week. No one seems to get all bent out of shape then. Usually they drop out to join gangs, sell smack, steal pooh, etc... No one cares then, but when some kid (yes it probably isn't the best idea, but still) drops out to pursue something somewhat positive that could translate into honest cash, people are all over his nuts.

Rock on emo kid!

Not one that thought the idea of dropping out of school to play guitar hero was brilliant. Soon he will no longer be under the monetary wing of Mommy and realize how stupid this decision was. Video games are not real life.
    Shutup

You mean I am not actually playing football with NCAA 2009?

Back to my original statement, this kids is a nerd/dumbass....I hope he learns a lesson, which would be you can't be a lazy ass and make it in this world. Unless you like doublewide's, ford pintos, buying your groceries with food stamps and living off the government.....

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I mean, I play in madden tournaments and some guitar hero tournaments around Chicago and I make money thats good for wasting on crap. I still have a job, still am going into my senior of high school, and will be going to college next year. To make a life off playing video games would be really hard to do, not mention stupid.

The parents should man up and take away the kids xbox until his grades become higher. Not let him drop out because he wants to be a lazy slob

Thank you Josdin for the sig

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"ChiTownVike" wrote:
    I mean, I play in madden tournaments and some guitar hero tournaments around Chicago and I make money thats good for wasting on crap. I still have a job, still am going into my senior of high school, and will be going to college next year. To make a life off playing video games would be really hard to do, not mention stupid.

The parents should man up and take away the kids xbox until his grades become higher. Not let him drop out because he wants to be a lazy slob
    Probably why the kid is a loser to begin with.. his parents are already displaying a losing mentality, "Oh, school is too hard for him..." When a kid has parents like that, it's hard to identify with any sort of success in life.

I'd love to know what his parents do for a living.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:

Rock on emo kid!
    Yeah, you're right.
    It's a great career move.
    Much better than learning how to play a real musical instrument or learning a transferrable skill.
    What was I thinking?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

This is kid my hero

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    This is kid my hero
    You must have low standards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234