Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: 16-year-old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero

Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process. As the story notes, top gamers on the competitive circuit can earn up to $80,000 a year (though $25,000 is more common). Peebles, of course, can count his 52 Chick-fil-A combo meals toward that total.
    I know that I like to base all of my major decision on the amount of Chick-Fil-A sandwich I have won in my lifetime...
    His parents should be ashamed of themselves.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

School is overrated. Guitar Hero Rocks.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Wise decision.
    "Hey, I'm really good at playing a game that somebody else invented....just watch."
    Great career move.
    It depends on the prize money, now doesn't it?

=Z=
    No.
    If he makes $80K, it sounds like a lot to a kid.
    Big difference between a job and a career.
    Good career move for him though, beats working at a fast food joint and the skills he will gain will translate into a lot of meaningful postions that pay big money....especially if he gets paid in pesos.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Does Guitar Hero have insurance if he gets carple tunnel and can't play anymore?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Does Guitar Hero have insurance if he gets carple tunnel and can't play anymore?
    No, that is the risk you have to take on when you take the plunge to the pro circuit.

This sounds like a great career move.
    Guitar hero is where our future is.
    Buy now while the gettin's good.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Wise decision.
    "Hey, I'm really good at playing a game that somebody else invented....just watch."
    Great career move.

=Z=
    No.
    Good career move for him though, beats working at a fast food joint and the skills he will gain will translate into a lot of meaningful postions that pay big money....especially if he gets paid in pesos.
    Kind of like the hundreds of baseball and basketball players who skip college to play pro ball. Or the gymnast who spends 14hours a day in a gym at age 12.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Wise decision.
    Great career move.

=Z=
    No.
    Kind of like the hundreds of baseball and basketball players who skip college to play pro ball. Or the gymnast who spends 14hours a day in a gym at age 12.
    Key difference being that gymnastics and basketball are not going to be replaced with gynastics III next year.
    Or a whole different console rendering the game unplayable.
    In 20 years people are going to be like "You dropped out of school to play Guitar Hero?, What the fuck is guitar hero?"
    "Your a f-ing idiot...jackass"

Or something along those lines.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Honestly, the two best qualities in a person when seeking a first-time job are probably his/her academic performance and personality. Given that this kid was doing poorly in school and no one liked him, perhaps this wasn't such a bad move. He can always get his Good Enough Diploma later. Plus, Guitar Hero is a pretty fun game.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I say go for it. The future is so bright I bet he has to wear shades.

Hell, you are only young once. Might as fuck up when you are young and have the time and energy to fix it. And if you aren't smart enough to figure it out after that then at least you haven't been dragging down the collective GPA of the rest of your class.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Wise decision.
    Great career move.

=Z=
    No.
    Key difference being that gymnastics and basketball are not going to be replaced with gynastics III next year.
    Or a whole different console rendering the game unplayable.
    In 20 years people are going to be like "You dropped out of school to play Guitar Hero?, What the fuck is guitar hero?"
    "Your a f-ing idiot...jackass"

Or something along those lines.
    I will always know what guitar hero is. And he can still play as long as he keeps his old console and game and controller. If he is really really good he could end up being famous, well actually he sort of is all ready since we are all talking about him. Now the baseball player that never gets out of triple A ball is not gonna be remembered for anything(might still be worth it if you love playing baseball). My point is that people have been devoting much of their lives to childs games for a very long time, this is just a newer game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast