BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

11 cousins have stomachs removed to avoid cancer risk

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/06/18/no.stomachs.ap/index.html

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

Re: 11 cousins have stomachs removed to avoid cancer risk

thats kinda creepy. i'd probably risk the cancer insted of having my stomach removed

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It sounds like a gruesome story. I didn't have the stomache to even read it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

that's pretty nuts

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think I'd rather be able to eat for the rest of my life and risk the cancer than not be able to eat what I want and not get it. I guarantee (the odds say it will happen) that at least one of them ends up with a cancer OTHER than stomach cancer...I'm not saying that to be rude, but the odds aren't with them and I think something THIS drastic is a little much.

All that DNA testing stuff scares me though. I mean, it's nice to be able to tell what genetic defects there are and of course it could save a whole lot of lives, but I just have a feeling that it could go too far.

What will happen in the future? Will we test fetuses and if they have a risk of disease or defect or undesirable physical characteristics we'll abort them? These new technologies are a double-edged sword, and I think they're going to end up doing more harm than good.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I think I'd rather be able to eat for the rest of my life and risk the cancer than not be able to eat what I want and not get it. I guarantee (the odds say it will happen) that at least one of them ends up with a cancer OTHER than stomach cancer...I'm not saying that to be rude, but the odds aren't with them and I think something THIS drastic is a little much.
    The article says that genetic testing has proved that those people had a 70% chance of contracting the same stomach cancer that killed quite a few of their family members. That's a pretty high percentage, and having seen it happen to their family I'd assume that only strengthened their resolve to make sure it didn't happen to them.

What will happen in the future? Will we test fetuses and if they have a risk of disease or defect or undesirable physical characteristics we'll abort them? These new technologies are a double-edged sword, and I think they're going to end up doing more harm than good.
    We already do test for hereditary diseases in fetuses if their is a history of certain diseases such as cancer in a family. This is mandatory in IVF treatment espcially. And further to your second point, surely you're not suggesting it would be the doctor's decision to abort a child purely on aesthetics in the womb? Or even abort a child because he or she didn't look like he'd be a superstar at the first trimester? In fact, I know you're not, but I had to address those points.

Personally; I'm for stem-cell research, animal testing (when justified. ie: not for cosmetics but for medical research when there is no viable alternative), the advances in cloning technology so we can grow replacement organs that are perfectly tailored to individuals (reducing the desperate need on organ donation, the possibility of rejection, and the need for potentially-dangerous immunosuppressants), but then that's just me.

Prophet Guest

Stomachs are overrated.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    The article says that genetic testing has proved that those people had a 70% chance of contracting the same stomach cancer that killed quite a few of their family members. That's a pretty high percentage, and having seen it happen to their family I'd assume that only strengthened their resolve to make sure it didn't happen to them.

We already do test for hereditary diseases in fetuses if their is a history of certain diseases such as cancer in a family. This is mandatory in IVF treatment espcially. And further to your second point, surely you're not suggesting it would be the doctor's decision to abort a child purely on aesthetics in the womb? Or even abort a child because he or she didn't look like he'd be a superstar at the first trimester? In fact, I know you're not, but I had to address those points.

Personally; I'm for stem-cell research, animal testing (when justified. ie: not for cosmetics but for medical research when there is no viable alternative), the advances in cloning technology so we can grow replacement organs that are perfectly tailored to individuals (reducing the desperate need on organ donation, the possibility of rejection, and the need for potentially-dangerous immunosuppressants), but then that's just me.
    I'm not suggesting it's the Dr.'s decision at all, but you know as well as I do that there are some pretty psycho people out there that have pretty distinct views of how their children are going to look and act. I hate to use the "go to guy" for all things evil, but could you see Hitler with technology like that? Imagine if he were able to map and manipulate genetics...nothing would stop someone that out of his mind from completely controlling every aspect of his people's offspring.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    thats kinda creepy. i'd probably risk the cancer insted of having my stomach removed
    Exactly my thoughts Yogi
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."