Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 1 in 4 teen girls has sexually transmitted disease

"josdin00" wrote:
    Again, that is all conjecture on my part. I guess, with HPV counted in, I could believe the 1 in 4 number if it relates to sexually active girls, but not if it relates to the population as a whole.
    Good stuff, Jos.
    I think I'm right there with you on this last bit.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

crazyB is offline Starter

"VikingMD" wrote:
    If 1 in 4 girls have an STD, I wonder what the stats are for the boys? They have to be getting them from somewhere.
    they probebly get it from the dirty old men that chase after them.
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"josdin00" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    There isn't enough data in this study to make any sort of accurate sociological claim. For example, I could survey the prudish virgins of my graduating class and 0/25 would have an STD. Then, I could say that that data correlates to the entire population. There is also no information on the socioeconomic background of the girls surveyed. This survey could have taken place where "Gummo" was filmed and then they apply that to an entire country to sell news. The only way this actual study could be done is on a city to city basis and on a massive scale.
    A little info on the study from the article:

The study by CDC researcher Dr. Sara Forhan is an analysis of nationally representative data on 838 girls aged 14 to 19 who took part in a 2003-04 government health survey. Teens were tested for four infections: human papillomavirus, or HPV, which can cause cervical cancer and affected 18 percent of girls studied; chlamydia, which affected 4 percent; trichomoniasis, 2.5 percent; and genital herpes, 2 percent.

Dr. John Douglas, director of the CDC’s division of STD prevention, said the results are the first to examine the combined national prevalence of common sexually transmitted diseases among adolescent girls. He said the data likely reflect current prevalence rates.

It sounds like the data came from teens that were first willing to take a government health survey, and then were willing to get tested. That's got to introduce some bias into the results. Then again, the CDC can't just go up to random minors and start testing them for disease. The ACLU would have a conniption fit. So, any study they do is going to have some bias built in. The trick is to try to define which way the bias falls. In this case, I would venture a guess that the girls who are more likely to protect their privates are also more likely to protect their privacy, and not take part in the study. Therefore, the study participants are more likely to be sexually active, and that would cause their results to be overstated. Again, that is all conjecture on my part. I guess, with HPV counted in, I could believe the 1 in 4 number if it relates to sexually active girls, but not if it relates to the population as a whole.

The study didn't just include sexually active girls though.
    And while 838 is not a huge sample, it is sufficiently large enough to be able to make predictive analysis.
    What they don't report on (which is disappointing) is the margin of error.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    Again, that is all conjecture on my part. I guess, with HPV counted in, I could believe the 1 in 4 number if it relates to sexually active girls, but not if it relates to the population as a whole.
    Good stuff, Jos.

=Z=
    Since 50% of teen girls are sexually active, that would still mean that 1 in 8 teen girls have an STD which still seems alarming, but much more plausible.

http://www.kff.org/youthhivstds/uplo...Fact-Sheet.pdf

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    There isn't enough data in this study to make any sort of accurate sociological claim. For example, I could survey the prudish virgins of my graduating class and 0/25 would have an STD. Then, I could say that that data correlates to the entire population. There is also no information on the socioeconomic background of the girls surveyed. This survey could have taken place where "Gummo" was filmed and then they apply that to an entire country to sell news. The only way this actual study could be done is on a city to city basis and on a massive scale.
    A little info on the study from the article:

The study by CDC researcher Dr. Sara Forhan is an analysis of nationally representative data on 838 girls aged 14 to 19 who took part in a 2003-04 government health survey. Teens were tested for four infections: human papillomavirus, or HPV, which can cause cervical cancer and affected 18 percent of girls studied; chlamydia, which affected 4 percent; trichomoniasis, 2.5 percent; and genital herpes, 2 percent.

Dr. John Douglas, director of the CDC’s division of STD prevention, said the results are the first to examine the combined national prevalence of common sexually transmitted diseases among adolescent girls. He said the data likely reflect current prevalence rates.

It sounds like the data came from teens that were first willing to take a government health survey, and then were willing to get tested. That's got to introduce some bias into the results. Then again, the CDC can't just go up to random minors and start testing them for disease. The ACLU would have a conniption fit. So, any study they do is going to have some bias built in. The trick is to try to define which way the bias falls. In this case, I would venture a guess that the girls who are more likely to protect their privates are also more likely to protect their privacy, and not take part in the study. Therefore, the study participants are more likely to be sexually active, and that would cause their results to be overstated. Again, that is all conjecture on my part. I guess, with HPV counted in, I could believe the 1 in 4 number if it relates to sexually active girls, but not if it relates to the population as a whole.

The study didn't just include sexually active girls though.
    And while 838 is not a huge sample, it is sufficiently large enough to be able to make predictive analysis.
    What they don't report on (which is disappointing) is the margin of error.
    I understand that. However, it is my completely unsubstantiated opinion that while they did not filter applicants for sexual activity, their selection methods would bring in more sexually active girls to the study than non-sexually active girls.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    Good stuff, Jos.

=Z=
    Since 50% of teen girls are sexually active, that would still mean that 1 in 8 teen girls have an STD which still seems alarming, but much more plausible.

http://www.kff.org/youthhivstds/uplo...Fact-Sheet.pdf
    No... I think it's 1 out of 4 girls, whether sexually active or not, have an STD... which means 50% of sexually active teens have an STD... which is even more alarming.

I may have interpreted it wrong.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    1 in 4??
    damn that means Cajun puts himself at risk at least every other day
    ;D
    rofl

You've got that backwards Anglo,,,,CAJUN IS THE PROBLEM...
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345