Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Troy Smith for Heisman!

I'm not saying Smith sucks, I just don't think he is a prototypical NFL QB. He!! maybe he'll surprise us and be a HOFer. If he does good for him. I think his stats are very comparable to Quinn's, but the only reason he'll win it is because his team is going to win the national title. Quinn could've done the same thing if he actually had a defense like Smith has.

And I'm sorry, but I don't think you would look good against those teams that Quinn faced, nothing against you at all but I just don't.

I hope you're not mad at me ultra!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I'm not saying Smith sucks, I just don't think he is a prototypical NFL QB. He!! maybe he'll surprise us and be a HOFer. If he does good for him. I think his stats are very comparable to Quinn's, but the only reason he'll win it is because his team is going to win the national title. Quinn could've done the same thing if he actually had a defense like Smith has.

And I'm sorry, but I don't think you would look good against those teams that Quinn faced, nothing against you at all but I just don't.

To be truly successful in the NFL, you have to be able to pass out of the pocket.
    Yes - the QB might need to scramble - but the vast majority of movement will end up being in and around the pocket.
    Stepping up, slide-stepping, etc.
    And then providing an accurate ball to the receiver.
    I don't see Troy Smith being able to do that at a suspect 6' 1".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Yeah, you never know. Vince Young has that low delivery point and he seems to be doing ok on a pretty crappy team. Granted he does a lot with his feet though. I think Young and Smith are pretty comparable, the edge going to Young, but they are comparable.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Yeah, you never know. Vince Young has that low delivery point and he seems to be doing ok on a pretty crappy team. Granted he does a lot with his feet though. I think Young and Smith are pretty comparable, the edge going to Young, but they are comparable.
    Long-term in the NFL, you have to be able to pass out of the pocket.
    Look at Vick over the course of his career.
    Running around is not a viable plan for continued success.
    Great highlights, sure, but not consistently winning ballgames.

Maybe there's an offensive genius out there (Norm Chow?) who can design an offense which allows some of that.
    I just think there are too many 225-pound hitters at the safety positions in the NFL to design an offense around a QB with a lot of pass/run optioning and stuff.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

I completely agree with you. I think Vick has shown everyone that you can be the best athlete and not be the best QB. Sure he has had his fair share of good/great games but he is very inconsistent.

Smith will not have the ability in the pros to stand back in the pocket and do what Quinn will be able to do IMO.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Young is quicker to pull it down and run, which Smith was in his first year and half, but this year, he has developed into an excellent pocket passer, and he often scrambles out of the pocket, only to still make a pass downfield, but having the running threat creates huge issues.
    I'm not sold on Quinn, mainly because he doesn't seem to show up in the big games.
    He may have more potential as a pure passer than Smith, but I guess time will tell.
    As for Smith's height affecting his pcoket passing abilities, OSU has pretty much all NFL size linemen, and his height doesn't seem to be an issue now.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:

To be truly successful in the NFL, you have to be able to pass out of the pocket.
    Yes - the QB might need to scramble - but the vast majority of movement will end up being in and around the pocket.
    Stepping up, slide-stepping, etc.
    And then providing an accurate ball to the receiver.
    I don't see Troy Smith being able to do that at a suspect 6' 1".

=Z=
    Here we go with the lame argument of height.
    :
    Please re-read what I posted about other vertically challenged pro QB's.

Yeah, Doug Flutie did have a GREAT career!! jk

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Yeah, Doug Flutie did have a GREAT career!! jk
    He did.
    In college and the CFL.
    A little too old once in the NFl, but not bad.

Troy Smith is 6'1" and mobile (just like everybody's hero T-Jack):

There are plenty of other short QB's:

Drew Brees is 6'0" and you cannot say he is unsuccessful.

Mark Brunell is 6'1" and had a span of successful years.

Brett Favre is only 6'2", not too far off and you gotta admit he was good.

Jeff Garcia is 6'1" and had some great years.

Bruce Gradkowski is 6'1" and a starter.

Rex Grossman is 6'1" and a starter on a team that has only 1 loss.

Tarvaris Jackson, the guy everybody has a boner over, is only 6'2"!

Jon Kitna is 6'2".

J.P. Losman is 6'2".

Steve McNair is 6'2" and a former MVP who led his team to the Super Bowl.

Jake Plummer is 6'2".

Tony Romo is 6'2".

Michael Vick is only 6'0"!!!
    OMG!!!

Fran Tarkenton was only 6'0"!
    Stop the presses!
    We have all been living a lie.

I am not saying Troy will be a great NFL QB.
    What I am saying is that you cannot make the arguement that because he is 6'1" that he will not be any good.
    There are plenty of good QB's that were shorter, the same height, or only a mere inch taller.

I was being sarcastic about Flutie. Anyways, I'm not saying if you are short you cannot be a successful QB, because obviously, as you have pointed out, that is not the case. I'm just not enamored with Smith. Maybe that's because I haven't watched everyone of his games, or maybe it's just because I am a homer and really think Quinn has been set up for the past two years in a pro style offense. But who the heck am I to know who is going to be good or not in the NFL, afterall I am only a PE teacher!! lol

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast