Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Sources: UND faces retiring Fighting Sioux nickname

It's a slippery slope... how long before you get pressure groups really ramping it up on the pro sports teams as well. That could be trouble for the likes of the Redskins, Braves & Chiefs.... bloody PC brigade
    >
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    It's a slippery slope... how long before you get pressure groups really ramping it up on the pro sports teams as well. That could be trouble for the likes of the Redskins, Braves & Chiefs.... bloody PC brigade
    >
    MLB has long been after the Atlanta Braves to change their name after receiving pressure from Indian tribes. It was right after they started receiving that pressure several years ago that they begane the tomahawk chant if memory serves me correctly.
    And I believe the NFL has been after the Washington Redskins, too.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Standing Rock Sioux tribal officials say UND should drop nickname

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/11/28/news/state/143528.txt

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Standing Rock Sioux tribal officials say UND should drop nickname

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/11/28/news/state/143528.txt

Ron His Horse Is Thunder

Thats funny, my grandmother called me.....

Ned His Donkey is Lightning
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"vikes2456" wrote:
    I'd keep the nickname out of spite.

N.D. Higher Ed Board to discuss retiring UND nickname early

MINNEAPOLIS – North Dakota’s Board of Higher Education could act to retire UND’s Fighting Sioux nickname within the next few weeks rather than send a delegation to discuss the matter with leaders of the state’s two Sioux tribes, board president John Paulsen said Wednesday.

A settlement agreement in a lawsuit between UND and the NCAA requires the school to retire the nickname within three years if the university cannot win approval from tribal councils at the state’s Standing Rock and Spirit Lake reservations.

At a board meeting earlier this month, Paulsen asked North Dakota University System Chancellor Bill Goetz to organize a delegation, including state leaders and North Dakota’s Congressional delegation, to discuss the nickname with tribal leaders.

Since that time, Paulsen said he’s been impressed by the “continued and determined” tribal opposition to the nickname, specifically a presentation Wednesday by Standing Rock Tribal Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder and other Standing Rock members at the American Indian Student Services house on the UND campus.

Standing Rock’s tribal council also voted earlier this month to renew their opposition to the nickname, first approved in 2001.

Paulsen, who was unable to attend the presentation because he was at a meeting of the UND Presidential Search Committee in Minneapolis, said he had not spoken with any of the participants and had only read about the presentation in the newspaper.

“As I read the article in the paper, they strongly said there would be no change in tribal attitudes and urged the State Board of Higher Education to get about the business of telling UND to change its logo,” Paulsen said. “Given that strong admonition from the (tribal leaders), I decided I’d address it with State Board of Higher Education members soon.”

Paulsen said he would discuss the UND meeting with state board members soon, likely at one of three meetings scheduled next week, but would not go so far as to say he’d ask for a motion to retire the nickname.

“Anything is on the table,” he said. “Board members are free to do what they want to do.”

He later added: “The remarks in public of all the tribal leaders have, as far as I can tell, all been along the same lines. Tribal leaders don’t see any need for, or anything to be gained from, further discussions. They’ve said UND, sooner rather than later, should change the logo.”

Goetz said he’d discussed the UND presentation with Paulsen, but had not discussed it more widely.

“In light of that meeting, renewed discussion needs to take place regarding our next step,” he said. “Over the next couple of days, we’ll arrive at some conclusion.”

The UND-NCAA lawsuit settlement, announced late last month, ended a more than yearlong legal battle between the two opponents.

Total legal costs in that case exceeded $2 million, according to a statement from Grand Forks County Circuit Judge Lawrence Jahnke, who presided over the case. At least $800,000 of that bill went to UND attorneys, paid by private donors out of a fund managed by the school's alumni association.

UND sued the NCAA last year over a 2005 mandate barring the school from displaying its nickname or logo in postseason play or hosting playoff games. Out of 20 schools with American Indian nicknames, logos or mascots originally subject to the restrictions, UND was the only school to challenge the mandate in court.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=184712&section=news

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Funny... I don't hear anyone complaining about the Fighting Irish.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Another black eye for North Dakota. So many stupid things lingering on from history.

Go Vikings!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"C" wrote:
    Funny... I don't hear anyone complaining about the Fighting Irish.
    Once the people that constantly have to fight for some kind of cause have gone thru the entire sports & school names to rid them of minoritity implication, they will probably go after nationality next.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast