Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Saban steps in it?

Since I live in the deep south now and work at a SEC school I found this interesting.
    One of my colleagues is married to a Cajun and she is hilarious and refers to herself as a 'coon ass'.
    I have always considered this term offensive, but it is used commonly in these parts and when I've heard it being used it has been used affectionately.
    I will never use the term though, sounds too harsh.

==========================================

POSTED 7:52 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 8:42 a.m. EST, January 31, 2007

SABAN STEPS IN IT?
    pft.com

Former Dolphins coach Nick Saban possibly has dropped his shoe into a huge pile of poo with comments apparently made off the record to the Alabama press.

Several readers have sent the audio clip to us, in which Saban relates a story that was shared with him by one of the members of the LSU Board of Trustees.
    He likely didn't realize that someone's tape recorder was rolling.

Here's the audio.
    Here's the raw transcript:

"My friends are okay with it.
    The rest of those guys?
    One of my, one of my guy on the board --
    you guys won't be able to put this on the thing -- was walking down the street, one of the Board of Trustees guys like these people around here and sitting up on the stage today at LSU, is walking down the street yesterday before the Sugar Bowl.
    He calls me.
    There's a guy working in a ditch.
    One of those coon-ass guys that talk funny.
    I can't talk like him but he can.
    Most people in Louisiana can.
    And he says, 'Hey, you see where Coach Saban signed up with Alabama?'
    You know however they talk.
    And the Board of Trustees guy says, 'Yeah, I saw that.'
    And he says, 'That son of a bitch.
    I feel like he's f--king my wife.'"

We don't know where the audio originated, or who inserted sound effects to block the words "bitch" and "f--king."
    It appears that the comments were made on January 4, following Saban's introductory press conference at Alabama.

And though we don't know whether it's real or a forgery, if it's a forgery it's a damn convincing forgery.

With letter-of-intent day for Saban's first recruiting class at Alabama arriving one week from today, this is something that Saban needs to clear up ASAP.

(Meanwhile, that sound you hear in the distance is Miami Dolphins fans around the world laughing their asses off.)

With all that said, several readers have told us that "coon-ass" is not regarded in the South as a racial slur, though we'd never heard the term in any other context.
    But some regard it as a slur against Cajun folk.
    This sentiment is echoed in the Wikipedia definition of the term.
    Other readers are shocked that the term could be regarded as anything other than offensive.

We'd never heard the word before this morning, and we're shocked that the letters "coon" would be considered acceptable in any context other than following the letters "rac".

Either way, it wasn't a moment of genius for Saban, and he has given his NCAA rivals even more ammunition for targeting his recruits.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Saban steps in it?

"Prophet" wrote:
    Since I live in the deep south now and work at a SEC school I found this interesting.
    One of my colleagues is married to a Cajun and she is hilarious and refers to herself as a 'coon jiggly butt'.
    I have always considered this term offensive, but it is used commonly in these parts and when I've heard it being used it has been used affectionately.
    I will never use the term though, sounds too harsh.

==========================================

POSTED 7:52 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 8:42 a.m. EST, January 31, 2007

SABAN STEPS IN IT?
    pft.com

Former Dolphins coach Nick Saban possibly has dropped his shoe into a huge pile of poo with comments apparently made off the record to the Alabama press.

Several readers have sent the audio clip to us, in which Saban relates a story that was shared with him by one of the members of the LSU Board of Trustees.
    He likely didn't realize that someone's tape recorder was rolling.

Here's the audio.
    Here's the raw transcript:

"My friends are okay with it.
    The rest of those guys?
    One of my, one of my guy on the board --
    you guys won't be able to put this on the thing -- was walking down the street, one of the Board of Trustees guys like these people around here and sitting up on the stage today at LSU, is walking down the street yesterday before the Sugar Bowl.
    He calls me.
    There's a guy working in a ditch.
    One of those coon-jiggly butt guys that talk funny.
    I can't talk like him but he can.
    Most people in Louisiana can.
    And he says, 'Hey, you see where Coach Saban signed up with Alabama?'
    You know however they talk.
    And the Board of Trustees guy says, 'Yeah, I saw that.'
    And he says, 'That son of a beeyatch.
    I feel like he's f--king my wife.'"

We don't know where the audio originated, or who inserted sound effects to block the words "beeyatch" and "f--king."
    It appears that the comments were made on January 4, following Saban's introductory press conference at Alabama.

And though we don't know whether it's real or a forgery, if it's a forgery it's a gol 'darnit convincing forgery.

With letter-of-intent day for Saban's first recruiting class at Alabama arriving one week from today, this is something that Saban needs to clear up ASAP.

(Meanwhile, that sound you hear in the distance is Miami Dolphins fans around the world laughing their dimply buttocks off.)

With all that said, several readers have told us that "coon-jiggly butt" is not regarded in the South as a racial slur, though we'd never heard the term in any other context.
    But some regard it as a slur against Cajun folk.
    This sentiment is echoed in the Wikipedia definition of the term.
    Other readers are shocked that the term could be regarded as anything other than offensive.

We'd never heard the word before this morning, and we're shocked that the letters "coon" would be considered acceptable in any context other than following the letters "rac".

Either way, it wasn't a moment of genius for Saban, and he has given his NCAA rivals even more ammunition for targeting his recruits.

As well you shouldn't...it's like some young black men using the N-word to refer to themselves...THEY can say it, but YOU can't...LOL

You are correct though...it originated as a slur about Cajuns...but was turned around by those oh-so-resourceful people into a term of endearment and pride...as long as it is said by the person themselves or one of their "chezgarcons" (not really a word, but it would loosely mean "homeboys"...LOL).

Good story, Prophet!
    I hope that it turns off some of the recruits that Saban is trying to steal out of the state...of course, the term DOES NOT really refer to the African-American part of the population (only the whites of French-Canadian descent...from Nova Scotia [Acadia] in particular), so at least some of his recruits won't be offended in the least.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

POSTED 12:22 p.m. EST, January 31, 2007

THE REST OF THE STORY ON SABAN AND "COON-ASS"
    pft.com

Word of Nick Saban's "coon-ass" anecdote is spreading like herpes at an orgy at Mike Vick's condo at Del Boca Vista.
    And PFT Planet is buzzing over the basic question of whether the term "coon-ass" is or is not offensive.

Some of the best e-mails we've received on the topic are right here.

But we need to be fair to Saban.
    Though the similarity of the supposedly inoffensive term "coon-ass" to a clearly racist word would have prompted us to never, ever use the term (except in reference to Terry Bradshaw, who though not dead is apparently a card-carrying coon-ass), plenty of folks see no problem with what he said.

Anyway, we usually (okay, sometimes) strive to be fair in our rumor-mongering and other ruminations, so we're compelled to share some more information about what Saban said and where he said it.

First, the comments weren't made generally to the media.
    Saban was talking to a handful of reporters, one of whom has transcribed the statements Saban made after the statements that can be heard right here.

Here's what Saban went on to say:
    "But that's how [LSU fans] are, though. They're passionate, hardcore. . . .
    That's why I made that statement today about how I really don't want that [animosity from LSU fans].
    That was a negative."

One of the reporters then mentioned that Steve Spurrier currently faces the same problem when taking his current team, South Carolina, against his former team, Florida.

"I think it's the nature of the beast," Saban said.
    "You're always going to have that because these people are not like pro fans. This is their school.
    It's their pride and joy."

Whether those extra sentences will make those who took offense to Saban's use of the "coon-ass" term is a different issue.
    But, in fairness to Saban, it makes sense to give the audience a chance to judge in context a quote that he clearly contemplated would be off the record, and thus not for publication.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I really don't think that this word should be that offensive. I mean come on people, you tell jokes about other races and about people that are different to your friends. You don't expect them to go tell everyone that was descriped in the joke. I think that the media has lost alot of its integrity towards people and what is said on and off the record. I'm just thinking about how lucky Alabama is to have a coach like Saban and how Minnesota would have greatly benefitted if he made the choice to coach the Gophers. Anyway this was the only legitimate post on here in a while so I thought I should drop my two cents in like all great fans do.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

"ballhog27" wrote:
    I really don't think that this word should be that offensive. I mean come on people, you tell jokes about other races and about people that are different to your friends. You don't expect them to go tell everyone that was descriped in the joke. I think that the media has lost alot of its integrity towards people and what is said on and off the record. I'm just thinking about how lucky Alabama is to have a coach like Saban and how Minnesota would have greatly benefitted if he made the choice to coach the Gophers. Anyway this was the only legitimate post on here in a while so I thought I should drop my two cents in like all great fans do.
    It's ONLY offensive if it is meant to be offensive...much like the use of the N-word is in popular music today vs. the N-word directed at someone in a derogatory way.
    One is acceptable, the other is not.
    All depends on the messenger!
    ;D

"Prophet" wrote:
    POSTED 12:22 p.m. EST, January 31, 2007

THE REST OF THE STORY ON SABAN AND "COON-jiggly butt"
    pft.com

Word of Nick Saban's "coon-jiggly butt" anecdote is spreading like herpes at an orgy at Mike Vick's condo at Del Boca Vista.
    And PFT Planet is buzzing over the basic question of whether the term "coon-jiggly butt" is or is not offensive.

Some of the best e-mails we've received on the topic are right here.

But we need to be fair to Saban.
    Though the similarity of the supposedly inoffensive term "coon-jiggly butt" to a clearly racist word would have prompted us to never, ever use the term (except in reference to Terry Bradshaw, who though not dead is apparently a card-carrying coon-jiggly butt), plenty of folks see no problem with what he said.

Anyway, we usually (okay, sometimes) strive to be fair in our rumor-mongering and other ruminations, so we're compelled to share some more information about what Saban said and where he said it.

First, the comments weren't made generally to the media.
    Saban was talking to a handful of reporters, one of whom has transcribed the statements Saban made after the statements that can be heard right here.

Here's what Saban went on to say:
    "But that's how [LSU fans] are, though. They're passionate, hardcore. . . .
    That's why I made that statement today about how I really don't want that [animosity from LSU fans].
    That was a negative."

One of the reporters then mentioned that Steve Spurrier currently faces the same problem when taking his current team, South Carolina, against his former team, Florida.

"I think it's the nature of the beast," Saban said.
    "You're always going to have that because these people are not like pro fans. This is their school.
    It's their pride and joy."

Whether those extra sentences will make those who took offense to Saban's use of the "coon-jiggly butt" term is a different issue.
    But, in fairness to Saban, it makes sense to give the audience a chance to judge in context a quote that he clearly contemplated would be off the record, and thus not for publication.

I like THIS quote from the email:

"Nick Saban can't call a coon-jiggly butt a coon-jiggly butt, only a coon-jiggly butt can call a coon-jiggly butt a coon-jiggly butt."

Pretty much sums it up!
    ;D

And THIS explanation...coming from a DUMBASS:

"Sean Salisbury on ESPN is reporting that Saban actually said "chew-jiggly butt." "

THIS one is totally NOT TRUE...because blacks in Louisiana can't be coonasses, by definition...they aren't Cajun, they are of African descent, not Acadian descent:

"If anyone tells you coon-jiggly butt is not a slur, then they are likely a racist who uses it themselves. Go say it to a black man and see what happens.
    Call me from the hospital and let me know if you still think its a slur."

THIS one is even MORE insulting than Saban's statement: (this guy is an IDIOT...NO ONE in LOUISIANA is like the DOOFUS that Adam Sandler pretended to be in The Waterboy...inf fact, I am willing to bet that Sandler would be royally pissed off if someone degraded HIS heritage like he did MINE!) Also, Creoles AREN'T the same as Cajuns...Creole is a SPANISH term that referred to those who were born in Mexico and weren't born in Spain...which means that Creole was also used as a derogatory term by native-born Spaniards to elevate themselves above the locally-born colonists.
    The term somehow morphed into its most common usage in Louisiana today, which is to refer to the native black and mixed-race populace that now inhabits Louisiana...a term that they wear with pride equal to the pride that the Cajuns reserve for the local use of the word coonass.

"Normally I hate the guy and would love to see him squirm, but I need to give you my input on the phrase coon-jiggly butt.
    I was born and raised in Mississippi (with lots of family in Louisiana), and I have family that are coon dimply buttocks, and they are all white.
    It refers to Cajuns/creoles, people who talk like Bobby Hebert (card-carrying coon-jiggly butt) and eat crazy stuff that the rest of us would generally refer to as road kill.
    The world was introduced to coon-dimply buttocks in the movie The Waterboy.
    "

SEE PROPHET'S POST BELOW FOR FULL TEXT OF EMAILS..

The funny thing is that this is common terminology in the south and it is rarely meant derogatorily in my experiences.
    It's kind of like the term 'red neck', here it has a meaning of an outdoorsman and people like it where it has a different meaning in other parts of the country...Jeff Foxworthy helped to get the southern meaning out to the masses.

"Prophet" wrote:
    The funny thing is that this is common terminology in the south and it is rarely meant derogatorily in my experiences.
    It's kind of like the term 'red neck', here it has a meaning of an outdoorsman and people like it where it has a different meaning in other parts of the country...Jeff Foxworthy helped to get the southern meaning out to the masses.
    True...the KEY is in the MEANING of the SPEAKER...like most everything else!
    ;D

Some e-mails to Florio, link is in above article.

1/31/07 (regarding Nick Saban's use of the term "coon-jiggly butt"):
    Sean Salisbury on ESPN is reporting that Saban actually said "chew-jiggly butt."

1/31/07 (same topic):
    As a Louisianian of French decent I found the comments by Saban as very offensive.
    He meant those comments in a derogatory and negative manner. Who are "those guys" he referred to?
    If you replaced "coon-jiggly butt" with another ethnic "nickname" and then mocked their speech, would it be okay? How you could say some are not offended is beyond me. They certainly are not Cajuns.
    Saban is an outsider and he meant the comment as an ethnic slur, against the people who once loved him.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    Without question the term "coon-jiggly butt" is a very derogatory term especially when used in the context and the spirit that Nick Saban used it.
    It is only used presently to make fun of someone who is an Acadian.
    It's funny how Saban was kissing these same "coon-jiggly butt" dimply buttocks when he was at LSU to get their sons to come and play football.

Saban's comments to the media further illustrate just how arrogant and shallow
    he is.
    Saban kept the media at arm's length when he had the privilege of coaching at LSU.
    As a result, we fans never really got to know Saban the man.
    Well, primarily as a result of the manner in which he departed Miami and this little "conversation"
    we know much more.
    I personally hope that the football team hears Saban's comments before every Alabama –LSU game.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    I was stationed in Louisiana (USAF), and the term "coon-jiggly butt"
    was used as a personal identifier by most natives of Cajun extraction, or anyone from the LA/MS area, really (although not Northern LA or MS).
    It was not generally considered offensive or a racial slur.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    While living in NC, I had a friend that was from Louisiana.
    We are both white guys, but it was common for me to call him "coon-jiggly butt" and also common for him to refer to himself as such.
    My take on "coon-jiggly butt" is all in its presentation.
    I wasn't being derogatory when I called my friend that.
    However Nick Saban's reference, if true, was derogatory and he should be ashamed of himself.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    If anyone tells you coon-jiggly butt is not a slur, then they are likely a racist who uses it themselves. Go say it to a black man and see what happens.
    Call me from the hospital and let me know if you still think its a slur.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    Normally I hate the guy and would love to see him squirm, but I need to give you my input on the phrase coon-jiggly butt.
    I was born and raised in Mississippi (with lots of family in Louisiana), and I have family that are coon dimply buttocks, and they are all white.
    It refers to Cajuns/creoles, people who talk like Bobby Hebert (card-carrying coon-jiggly butt) and eat crazy stuff that the rest of us would generally refer to as road kill.
    The world was introduced to coon-dimply buttocks in the movie The Waterboy.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    From the clip, both the Cajun and non-Cajun populaces of Louisiana would take greater offense at his dismissive attitude towards a state which was ready to rename the capital after him.
    The statements that will get play in the "real" media to piss off Tiger fans will be those along the lines of ". . . and however they talk down there."

My state has little to be proud of, but the Tigers and the strong regional & cultural identity are two of the primary components of the state’s sense of self.
    Saban, having intentionally offended both with several comments, seems to have underestimated the psychotic devotion of many an otherwise mentally-stable Tiger fan.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger fans set the Tide bus on fire during the game or something.
    Seriously.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    Whether what Saban said was offensive or not, he prefaced it by saying "You're not going to be able to report this" or whatever he said.
    That means he knows it's not entirely PC, so he's responsible for any consequences that result.

1/31/07 (same topic):
    Nick Saban can't call a coon-jiggly butt a coon-jiggly butt, only a coon-jiggly butt can call a coon-jiggly butt a coon-jiggly butt.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

This is really going to be interesting to see how Saban pulls off the recruiting now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast