Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

No redshirting means 5 years of eligibility?

kffl.com

NCAA | Brand might favor fifth year eligibility if redshirting is eliminated
    Sat, 2 Jun 2007 09:44:17 -0700

The Associated Press reports NCAA president Myles Brand said he is not necessarily opposed to a recent proposal by the NCAA football issues committee that would extend player eligibility in the sport to five years. Brand said the idea "might be favorable" if it included the elimination of redshirting. Brand said 80 percent of Division I football players are being redshirted and that it takes the average student about 4.7 years to graduate. "I think if we do it right, to make sure student-athletes actually have educational activities throughout their five years, which approximates the actual practice, and we do away with medical redshirting [and] actual redshirting, I don't see anything wrong with that," Brand said. The NCAA football issues committee has requested that the proposal be discussed at the spring meetings of Division I football-playing conferences.

That would make some sense, If they can get it to work we will see what happens. For some players it would not make a difference but for others having 5 years to complete a degree and get that extra time needed, could make a difference as well.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: No redshirting means 5 years of eligibility?

I don't see this being much different than the current system. Would student/athletes be able to actually play full schedules for 5 seasons? If that's the case I don't really like the idea of it.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I think this gives some meathead who knows he's not good enough for the NFL one more year to slack off and not go into the real world and get a job.

Yeah you're probably right badlands.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Heck, I've been saying this for YEARS...although I still like leaving the MEDICAL redshirt option in.
    I'm sure that an extra year of playing time wouldn't hurt any programs anyway...and it would most likely keep the athletes in school longer anyway...giving them a better shot at finishing
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I'm all for students finishing school but the top notch athletes aren't going to risk 5 years of playing college ball for an injury.

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I'm all for students finishing school but the top notch athletes aren't going to risk 5 years of playing college ball for an injury.
    That's their choice...but the "top notch" athletes amount to less than 1 percent of the total...many more athletes end up leaving school with NO pro prospects....and no degree.
    ANYTHING that would keep them engaged in the school process would be good.
    They could space out the credit hours so that their workload is less as a reward for putting in the time to practice and travel for games.
    It would also allow the season to be expanded to include a REAL PLAYOFF system instead of the BCS (kaka del rio Championship Series).

Yeah, good points you make cajun.

On a side note, the girls track team at the high school I teach at tied for the D2 state championship this weekend! Woo hoo!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Yeah, good points you make cajun.

On a side note, the girls track team at the high school I teach at tied for the D2 state championship this weekend! Woo hoo!
    Good job, VKG!!!

I had nothing to do with it....but THANKS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast