Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL Draft: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College: the Top Quarterback Prospect?

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    No thanks....I want us to acquire Derek Anderson...a proven commodity.
    LOL.
    You're just so farcical sometimes, it's highly amusing.

Derek Anderson is a "proven commodity"?
    After 9 total starts in the NFL?

=Z=

As opposed to "Matty Ice's" ZERO starts...heck yeah!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    LOL.

=Z=

Please, Anderson hasn't proven anything other than he's A: Better than Charlie Frye and B: capable of leading a team to a 4-3 record, that's certainly worth a 1st rounder
    :

In this league you haven't proven anything unless you've done it in more than one season.
    thinking like yours is what made Spielman trade a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely, or Atlanta trading a 1st rounder for Peerless Price, or any number of bad pickups for "proven" players

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    LOL.

=Z=

Please, Anderson hasn't proven anything other than he's A: Better than Charlie Frye and B: capable of leading a team to a 4-3 record, that's certainly worth a 1st rounder
    :

In this league you haven't proven anything unless you've done it in more than one season.
    thinking like yours is what made Spielman trade a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely, or Atlanta trading a 1st rounder for Peerless Price, or any number of bad pickups for "proven" players
    Derek Anderson has a better shot at having success than any college player, I think. There is never a guarentee, but Anderson has put up really good numbers with a pretty bad team.

We really have to think for the future.
    We need a franchise QB who our team can rely upon.
    Although it would be nice to bring in a temporary solution to play for a couple of years while that QB develops.

I don't think Dnabb would be a bad option to be that mentor QB but I DO think we need to be drafting a QB in the one of the first two rounds this year.
    Additionally, this has to be one of the best years in terms of QB prospects.
    With our WCO, i think the best options would be:

Best:
    Matt Ryan - Playmaking QB with a pretty accurate arm.
    Hasn't worked around a great receiving corp, but has continued to lead the team to victory.
    Very smart player who finds holes in coverage.
    Look no further than the last five minutes of the VT game to see why he is ready.

Brian Brohm - Keep in mind that going into the season, this kid was the biggest prospect for the draft.
    Brohm is very accurate and excels at throwing easily catchable balls in short and medium range situations.
    Hmmm, who throws a lot of short and medium range passes?
    Minnesota?

Colt Brennan - Pros: We could get this guy in the second round and spend a first rounder on a player like Early Doucet, Jake Long, Keith Rivers, or a quality CB like Tribble or Thomas.
    Brennan is a great QB though as well, he excels at throwing short and midrange passes, he can really thread the needle as well and excels at throwing on the run.
    He threw 58tds last year, an NCAA record.
    He is older (24) due to being redshirted and the complications with Colorado.
    Since the incident, he has turned his life around and devoted himself to the bettering of the team.

Chad Henne: A bit of an injury concern after his recent shoulder injury, but he has shown as well that he can play through pain and still excel.
    He is the epidimy of a pocket passer with the scrambling ability of a dead gazelle (i.e. Brad Johnson, Jeff George).
    That scares me a little with our O-line, however like Brennan, he would probably be draftable in the 2nd round, which is encouraging.

Worst:
    Dennis Dixon:
    Don't we already have a QB with an inaccurate arm with scrambling ability?
    How did it work out?
    I'll hand it to him, Dixon is an impressive college level QB, but he reminds me too much of people like Akili Smith, Michael Vick, and Tarvaris Jackson.

John David Booty:
    I honestly don't know what people see in him.
    Does he get special commendation for having three names?
    He is an injury concern, and he lacks the fundamentals of an NFL QB.

Jury is Still Out On:
    Erik Ainge: An injury risk after he tore his meniscus last year.
    He's a big boy at 6'6" 225lb but is pretty much a pocket passer.
    He scares me a little with his inconsistancy between games.
    When he is on though, he is ON.
    But some games he'll leave you wondering if he showed up at practice that week.
    He really hasn't started a season by himself though until 2006 but I guess its still encouraging that he got playing time in his freshmen and sophomore years.
    He does have a pretty quick release though.
    Reminds me a little of that other guy who came out of Tennessee a few years back, what was his name?
    Peyton?

Josh Johnson: He's putting up incredible statistics, he has a QB rating of over 200.
    He completing just under 70% of his passes and has thrown 30tds through 8 games and only 1 interception.
    However, the school he plays for, San Diego, is a I-AA team, like Alabama St.
    The hardest team he's faced is Dayton, which resulted in a loss and his first interception.

Andre Woodson:
    Has pretty much all of the abilities to be a great NFL QB with a strong and accurate arm, but the offense he plays in is a more aggressive than ours and he is used to making bigger throws.
    He is pretty accurate at all levels though and I would certainly not be complaining about us drafting him.
    He is however, a first round pick, and I think there are players who would fit our team better and could be taken later.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    Although it would be nice to bring in a temporary solution to play for a couple of years while that QB develops.

I don't think Dnabb would be a bad option to be that mentor QB but I DO think we need to be drafting a QB in the one of the first two rounds this year.

Best:
    Hasn't worked around a great receiving corp, but has continued to lead the team to victory.
    Look no further than the last five minutes of the VT game to see why he is ready.

Brian Brohm - Keep in mind that going into the season, this kid was the biggest prospect for the draft.
    Brohm is very accurate and excels at throwing easily catchable balls in short and medium range situations.
    Minnesota?

Colt Brennan - Pros: We could get this guy in the second round and spend a first rounder on a player like Early Doucet, Jake Long, Keith Rivers, or a quality CB like Tribble or Thomas.
    Brennan is a great QB though as well, he excels at throwing short and midrange passes, he can really thread the needle as well and excels at throwing on the run.
    Since the incident, he has turned his life around and devoted himself to the bettering of the team.

Chad Henne: A bit of an injury concern after his recent shoulder injury, but he has shown as well that he can play through pain and still excel.
    He is the epidimy of a pocket passer with the scrambling ability of a dead gazelle (i.e. Brad Johnson, Jeff George).
    That scares me a little with our O-line, however like Brennan, he would probably be draftable in the 2nd round, which is encouraging.

Worst:
    David Dixon:
    How did it work out?
    I'll hand it to him, Dixon is an impressive college level QB, but he reminds me too much of people like Akili Smith, Michael Vick, and Tarvaris Jackson.

John David Booty:

Jury is Still Out On:
    He really hasn't started a season by himself though until 2006 but I guess its still encouraging that he got playing time in his freshmen and sophomore years.
    Reminds me a little of that other guy who came out of Tennessee a few years back, what was his name?
    Peyton?

Josh Johnson: He's putting up incredible statistics, he has a QB rating of over 200.
    He completing just under 70% of his passes and has thrown 30tds through 8 games and only 1 interception.
    The hardest team he's faced is Dayton, which resulted in a loss and his first interception.

Andre Woodson:
    Has pretty much all of the abilities to be a great NFL QB with a strong and accurate arm, but the offense he plays in is a more aggressive than ours and he is used to making bigger throws.
    He is pretty accurate at all levels though and I would certainly not be complaining about us drafting him.
    He is however, a first round pick, and I think there are players who would fit our team better and could be taken later.
    I don't think that David Dixon is the answer...too slow, too fat and too old.

There is this Dennis Dixon guy that I have been hearing about though....
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

woops lol.
    Ehh, either way, I don't like him hhaa.

Derek Anderson has a better shot at having success than any college player, I think. There is never a guarentee, but Anderson has put up really good numbers with a pretty bad team.
    Then where do players like McNabb, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer come from?
    There's a thing called potential that some college QBs have that Anderson doen't.

I'd challenge that the Browns aren't as bad as you think they are.
    He has two good options in Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow Jr.
    Their O-line is improved with Joe Thomas and Steinbach.

We have Peterson, and nobody to throw to.
    If Anderson is a free agent pick him up no doubt, but nobody should be trading a first or second rounder for him.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Then where do players like McNabb, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer come from?
    There's a thing called potential that some college QBs have that Anderson doen't.

I'd challenge that the Browns aren't as bad as you think they are.
    He has two good options in Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow Jr.
    Their O-line is improved with Joe Thomas and Steinbach.

We have Peterson, and nobody to throw to.
    If Anderson is a free agent pick him up no doubt, but nobody should be trading a first or second rounder for him.
    Agreed.
    Braylon was a success prior to Anderson, Winslow isn't doing any more than he shouldve been doing prior to the series of injuries in his first two years.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Keep in mind as well that we are saying that Anderson is unproven, not that Matt Ryan is.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MinnesotaFury" wrote:

Best:

Minnesota?

Worst:
    Dennis Dixon:
    How did it work out?

John David Booty:

Jury is Still Out On:
    Peyton?

Andre Woodson:
    Quality post my friend.
    Quality post.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"MinnesotaFury" wrote:

Agreed.
    Braylon was a success prior to Anderson, Winslow isn't doing any more than he shouldve been doing prior to the series of injuries in his first two years.

Keep in mind as well that we are saying that Anderson is unproven, not that Matt Ryan is.
    Actually Winslow had a decent year last year, his first full season.

And as far a proven and unproven are concerned, you either are or you aren't.
    At this point Anderson isn't either I agree.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast