Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NDSU Thundering Hurd

Talk of the town

There is plenty of upside to going 20-2 over two years for the North Dakota State football program. Interest is at an all-time high, the team set a home attendance record and the Bison created some national noise.

But there’s also a downside to such success at this level.

Head coach Craig Bohl may be marketable to bigger programs, something that is currently all speculation and no substance. Still, once the coaching shakeup begins, his name will most certainly be thrown around.

“It comes with the territory,” Bohl said. “It’s part of college coaching. The comment I’m going to make is the same one I made last year: I’m just not going to comment on any potential employment opportunities.”

Rumors of those potential opportunities, however, have already found the living rooms of high school seniors who are considering NDSU. Bohl said the subject has come up with potential recruits.

“We like to think young men out there look at NDSU and the program that’s here,” Bohl said Monday. “There’s not a lot we can do to go in and dispel all the rumors that are out there, but there are a lot of rumors.”

The conjecture surfaced on two talk radio shows in Fargo on Monday. Bohl’s record at NDSU in five years is 43-12, which is remarkable considering the Bison are in their last year of a five-year reclassification to Division I.

NDSU will not be eligible for the Division I Football Championship Subdivision playoffs until next year. Bohl took a team that finished 2-8 in Division II in 2002 and started an almost immediate turnaround.

The Bison went 8-3 in both 2003 and 2004. A 7-4 season in 2005 was followed by 10-1 last year. Bohl interviewed for the vacant position at the University of Minnesota, a job that went to Tim Brewster.

“It’s something you deal with but I’m confident he’ll be here next year,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said. “Unless something changes, I see no reason to worry about it.”

Taylor said he’s concerned about what effect Bohl’s job talk will have on recruiting. He said as more jobs become open in the next few weeks, Bohl’s name will probably get “tossed around.”

“I think it’s really something he doesn’t look forward to and wishes it wouldn’t happen,” Taylor said. “We’ll have to battle through that recruiting cycle.”

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=184046&section=sports

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Go Sioux!!!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ok, NDSU was ranked #5 this week:

1. Northern Iowa
    2. Montana
    3. McNeese State
    4. Southern Illinois

5. North Dakota State
    6. Appalachian State

7. Massachusetts

8. Richmond

9. James Madison

10. Delaware State

11. Eastern Kentucky

12. Wofford

13. Delaware

14. Eastern Washington

Northern Iowa won today and they play #13 Delaware next week.

Montana lost today.
    ;D

McNeese St. won and they play #14 Eastern Washington next week

Southern Illinois won and they play #7 Massachusetts next week.

There still is hope.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Ok, NDSU was ranked #5 this week:

1. Northern Iowa
    2. Montana
    3. McNeese State
    4. Southern Illinois

5. North Dakota State
    6. Appalachian State

7. Massachusetts

8. Richmond

9. James Madison

10. Delaware State

11. Eastern Kentucky

12. Wofford

13. Delaware

14. Eastern Washington

Northern Iowa won today and they play #13 Delaware next week.

Montana lost today.

;D

McNeese St. won and they play #14 Eastern Washington next week

Southern Illinois won and they play #7 Massachusetts next week.

There still is hope.

I wish
    >

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Damn
    >

>

Report: Bohl talks to No. Illinois AD

The first serious shot at a head college football coach who went 20-2 the last two years was apparently fired by Northern Illinois University. The school may be pursuing North Dakota State’s Craig Bohl.

He met with NIU athletic director Jim Phillips in Chicago this week, according to the Chicago Tribune newspaper.

Bohl, who is coming off his second straight 10-1 year, does not comment on any matter relating to future job opportunities. NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said Thursday night he had not been contacted by any school inquiring about Bohl.

Northern Illinois is a member of the Mid-American Conference – the same league that NDSU is

2-0 against the last two years. The Bison defeated Central Michigan 44-14 this year and Ball State (Ind.) 29-24 last season.

MAC, however, is a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) league – which is one rung higher than NDSU’s Football Championship Subdivision (formerly 1-AA).

NIU is looking for a replacement for Joe Novak, who retired after the Huskies went 2-10. He spent 12 years with Northern Illinois and compiled a 63-75 record.

His team won or shared the MAC West Division title four times and the Huskies made two bowl appearances.

The Huskies had seven straight winning seasons from 2000-2006.

The Tribune reported several candidates may be in line for the job including Southern Illinois head coach Jerry Kill and Grand Valley State (Mich.) head coach Chuck Martin.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/185400

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Come NDSU - don't let Bohl get away!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NDSU's Bohl signs new contract to make him one of highest paid coaches in FCS

[quote]FARGO -- North Dakota State is a top 10 program in more ways than the Division I Football Championship Subdivision preseason rankings. On Monday, Craig Bohl signed a contract that will make him one of the highest paid head coaches.

His base salary of $174,000 plus incentives that could top $300,000 puts him among the top 10 in the FCS, said NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor.........[quote]

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=210389

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Interesting name for a cheerleader squad.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345