Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

Re: National Championship Playoffs

"V4L" wrote:
    I dont think it would work because a team with a weak jiggly butt schedule might get a ton more wins then a better team with a
    very very tough schedule

They would have to fix the schedules too IMO
    Of course, that is one thing that has always irked me.
    I know the smaller schools need the money, But really, how entertaing is it when you have 67-6 scores.
    Yes, they would have to beef up schedules.
    But in realty, if you break down the '07 Pats 16-0 game by game, opponent by opponent, it really wasn't that remarkable.
    Their div. was a collective 12-36.
    Add their 16-0 in for kicks and that bumps it up to an unimpressive 28-36.
    Many other NFL teams would have gone undefeated in that div. and SB 42 is proof that all Davey needs is a chance in order to slay Goliath!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

its always the same story this time of year. and all the excuses come out that you cant do it blah blah blah, if they cant have a playoff system in division I, the top division who does every single football division have a playoff bracket and one champion? money. and a feel good end of a season for a 6-6 team keep it from happening.

236 division III teams have a 32 team based playoff bracket
    123 division I-AA teams have a 16 team team playoff bracket
    272 NAIA teams have a 32 team playoff bracket
    119 division I and 68 teams go to a bowl.

gregg easterbrooks article on espn's page 2 subheading bowl-o-rama No.1
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081202

32 playoff system is possible. assign the current bowls to playoff games, u could use a rotation for the quarter finals, semi finals and finals for the top bowls much like they do now for the bcs championship

for conferences that are too proud and do not want to have a conference championship like the pac10 and big10 (errr 11) they can continue the rose bowl tradition during the conference championship games.
    really does a division I team have to play Lafayette or some scrub of a team? those are ridiculous.

as for seeding the playoffs obviously all conference champions (who could have a week off like the nfl) and a wildcard type formula for the rest.

and yeah ok it takes 5 weeks to play out these playoffs. but how long was it before the big ten teams played last year? i believe they had like 5 weeks off before they played their bowl game. so shortening the season by one game would easily allow for a playoff.
    oh they are students they cant travel during that time of year,
    somehow they do it in division II

and hell. have a NIT type playoff for the scrubs. they could add even more bowls to the picture.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

another problem besides money, is that assigning bowls to playoffs doesnt give either team a home field advantage, on top of that it would be difficult to expect fans to travel to 5 cities in 5 weeks. so may have just debunked myself. but gosh darnit, somethings gotta give!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

What about generally keeping it like it is, but having a four team playoff for the national title. The 1 seed (as determined by the computer) plays number 4. The 2 seed would play the 3 seed. The winners play for the BCS title. The 1 and 2 seeds play at home. The BCS is at a neutral field (if possible). Its simple and its only one extra game to travel to.

Going to something crazy like 32 or even 16 teams seems like way too many. And if 4 teams isn't enough, have 6 or 8 or even the top 10 do the same type of thing, just the higher seeds can receive byes.
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    What about generally keeping it like it is, but having a four team playoff for the national title. The 1 seed (as determined by the computer) plays number 4. The 2 seed would play the 3 seed. The winners play for the BCS title. The 1 and 2 seeds play at home. The BCS is at a neutral field (if possible). Its simple and its only one extra game to travel to.

Going to something crazy like 32 or even 16 teams seems like way too many. And if 4 teams isn't enough, have 6 or 8 or even the top 10 do the same type of thing, just the higher seeds can receive byes.
    Good post.
    But I feel at least it should be the top ten teams.
    BTW-How is your daughter's broken leg?
    I sure hope she is healing well.
    All the best to you all.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

The simplest solution to this is to stop worrying about who is the national champion and get rid of the BCS Championship Game.

The top teams play against one another in bowl games, no one is crowned champion, but we all get to see good football games. Who cares which college team is the best as long as you get to see good games?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

4 team is too small
    32 I like but many don't

So it is simple. Who deserves a shot this year?

Penn State
    Florida
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Utah
    Boise State
    Texas
    Texas Tech

Let them duke it out in an eight team tournament. That would be fun to watch.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    4 team is too small
    32 I like but many don't

So it is simple. Who deserves a shot this year?

Penn State
    Florida
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Utah
    Boise State
    Texas
    Texas Tech

Let them duke it out in an eight team tournament. That would be fun to watch.

Agreed

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikeman" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

Good post.
    All the best to you all.
    I have a daughter who has a broken leg?
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    "Vikeman" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

Good post.
    All the best to you all.
    I have a daughter who has a broken leg?
    I apologize.
    Suffering from STML, but I could have sworn in that Nov. 13 thread someone with an Edmonton Oilers logo I was talking to said his daughter broke her leg in a soccer game that very day.
    Must have been another poster, sorry.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast