COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Kentucky struggling and fans blame Tubby

[size=12pt]The Wildcats sent the new Gophers coach packing, but his replacement hasn't measured up.[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/sports/12646646.html

The Houston Cougars shot 36 percent on Tuesday night and still had no trouble defeating Kentucky 83-69. This gave the Wildcats a four-game losing streak for the first time since the 1989-90 season. It also put them at 4-5 for the fourth time in 104 years of Kentucky basketball.

The rabid followers of the 'Cats seem to have no problem identifying the source of this ineptitude. A gentleman calling himself "Freydaddy" summarized opinions in a Wednesday morning post at Wildcat Nation. Here's a condensed version:

"I'm getting sick of the broadcasters slamming us for forcing out Tubby [guilty as charged], quoting his win-loss record [fine numbers on the surface] and praising his character [no argument], but in the next minute, they will discuss the overall lack of talent.

"CONNECT THE DOTS!

There's a reason we forced him out. We saw last night where we would be without BCG getting Patterson ...

"This is Tubby's mess and that is why he is gone."

Tubby is our new Minnesota basketball coach, Tubby Smith, of course. BCG is Smith's replacement, Billy Gillispie, and by all account the C could stand for Crazed. Patterson is Patrick Patterson, a 6-9 freshman from Huntington, W. Va.

What's interesting with these Wildcats wackos is that, in their world, Gillispie gets the credit for recruiting Patterson, even though he had made a verbal commitment to Kentucky and started to vacillate only after Smith found a new home in Minneapolis.

Smith also had a verbal commitment from Jai Lucas, who reneged after Tubby's departure and is now a freshman starter at point guard for Florida...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Kentucky struggling and fans blame Tubby

Fargin Ice holes.... ;D

Lets hope Tubby does a bit better at reqruiting next year.
    My assesment is he will.

Record.
    1-11 (0-8), 11th Big Ten
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I think Tubby got the shaft at KY simply because he was black. Whether they will admit it or not, KY is still a very racist state and you can see it especially in their basketball program. Living here I see it all the time.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think Tubby got the shaft at KY simply because he was black. Whether they will admit it or not, KY is still a very racist state and you can see it especially in their basketball program. Living here I see it all the time.
    So you think they wouldn't have been happy if a black coach had come to Kentucky and won national championships every year? Do they hate the black players that are playing well on the basketball or football teams? I really don't think race has a lot to do with the Tubby Smith thing.. There are some coaches who are better suited for a more relaxed fan base that doesn't expect winning every season. The gophers fan base isn't going to expect a final four year in and year out. The kentucky fan base is. Maybe it was the wrong move at the wrong time but Tubby just wasn't working out in Kentucky.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    So you think they wouldn't have been happy if a black coach had come to Kentucky and won national championships every year? Do they hate the black players that are playing well on the basketball or football teams? I really don't think race has a lot to do with the Tubby Smith thing.. There are some coaches who are better suited for a more relaxed fan base that doesn't expect winning every season. The gophers fan base isn't going to expect a final four year in and year out. The kentucky fan base is. Maybe it was the wrong move at the wrong time but Tubby just wasn't working out in Kentucky.
    What I was trying to say and maybe I didn't make myself as plain as I should is there is no blatent racism as they were during the Rupp years (although there is still some). but I think it was easier for the fans to call for the firing of a black coach than it will be a white coach. The fans, even though on talk radio here are getting upset, still will give him more time to put a program together than they would Smith or another black coach. There are still a surprising number of people here who admired Rupp for not allowing black players on his team. But it's mostly the older fans. But look, they name their arena after a blatent racist and there's no outcry from anyone.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Tubby is my hero!!!

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"V4L" wrote:
    Tubby is my hero!!!
    Future prospects will listen when Tubby calls.
    He will get a lot of kids to go to Minnesota when usually they wouldn't.

Who from the south wants to go to the U of M?
    Honestly... Come up here where winter is 6 months long.

Atleast they will listen to Tubby.