COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Got a question...

I went and saw the movie "We Are Marshall" a few week ago. (Great movie by the way.) One of the things presented in that movie was that Marshall had to go to the NCAA Rules Committee to get special clearance to allow freshmen to play after their whole team was killed in the plane crash.
    But now I see true freshmen playing all the time in the NCAA. Were the rules changed for everyone when they were changed for Marshall or have they been changed recently?
    Anyone know? I scanned the NCAA rules but can find nothing there.
    Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Got a question...

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I went and saw the movie "We Are Marshall" a few week ago. (Great movie by the way.) One of the things presented in that movie was that Marshall had to go to the NCAA Rules Committee to get special clearance to allow freshmen to play after their whole team was killed in the plane crash.
    But now I see true freshmen playing all the time in the NCAA. Were the rules changed for everyone when they were changed for Marshall or have they been changed recently?
    Anyone know? I scanned the NCAA rules but can find nothing there.
    Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.
    Freshmen have been eligible to play on the varsity since the mid-70s, as far as I can recall.
    Some quick googling isn't giving me a date, so I can't be more definitive than that.

I do not believe that the Marshal tragedy had anything to do with this rule being changed, but I could be wrong.

During WW2, freshman-eligibility rules were also relaxed, due to so many students being away in the service.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Got a question...

The Marshall football tragedy occurred in 1970
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.