Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Gophers getting a Tubby for a coach

Sorry to break it to you Gophs fans but this guy really reminds me of the Herb Sendek situation last year with NC State.

Fans tired of overrated coach with decent success at premier program.
    Fans voice displeasure in form of “lunatic fringe”.
    Coach has decent season earning a middle of the road bid in the NCAA.
    Team wins first game of tournament only to lose to high seeded team in 2nd round.
    Coach goes under scrutiny.
    Coach bails to lesser program that will likely finish at the bottom of a big conference leaving old program with open opportunites.

Exact same thing happened with NC state and Herb Sendek and we've gotten better for it. Now look at how arizona state turned out last year. Last in the Pac-10.. Meanwhile NC State has an energetic alum head coach with a top 20 recruiting class and a season where he was 4-3 against the other 3 "big 4" of wake forest, Duke, and UNC.

Just remember.. before you get all excited, it still is U of M, not a national power and a tough place to recruit at.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Just remember.. before you get all excited, it still is U of M, not a national power and a tough place to recruit at.
    It seems to me that the Gopher fans really only want is a tourney bid.
    Smith MAY be able to give you all this but in all honesty I really don't know if you'll get it from him.
    His recruiting skills at UK were pathetic like I said before and at Minnesota he won't have the name of the school to help him recruit the big players.
    BTW, I hope you guys don't want an uptempo exciting style of play.
    His is dull and lacks high scoring potential.
    All he does is try to keep the game around the 50's no matter who he is playing.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

When was the last time the Gophers were good at basketball anyway?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    THANK YOU GOD!
    I'm so glad he left Kentucky, you don't even know!
    People have been throwing parties and going crazy down here where I'm at.
    There was Facebook groups all over the place trying to get him out of here, petitions, and constant e-mails to the the AD at UK.
    Now we have celebration Facebook groups.
    What a great time to be a UK fan.

I see you Gopher fans getting excited about getting him, enjoy.
    Perhaps he is sufficient for the Gophers but not anywhere near the caliber of coach UK needs.
    His recruiting skills were pathetic and his game coaching skills were painful to watch.
    In his first season he won the national title, true, but the pieces had already been put in place by the GREAT Rick Pitino.
    Since then Tubby has shown his true colors and not returned UK to the Final Four.

With Tubby gone, UK is automatically back on its rise to greatness.
    Currently I think Billy D., Rick P., and John Calipari are the main people we're wanting.
    I would be happy with Billy or Rick but not so much with Calipari.
    Imagine the story of Rick returning to his kingdom and fixing the ship, ooooooooooooooo man I love the thought of that.

SO LONG TUBBY!

I think you are way wrong and that in 3 years you guys will be whining and bitching because your team is on the way DOWN!

Maybe Tubby only won the national championship once and it was his 1st year but you had 10 straight tourney runs and made it to the sweet 16 4 times and you are whining.

Good luck to you and we will see who gets the better end of this.

My prediction is Kentucky is in the NIT in 4 years.

And the Goph's win the Big Ten title in 4 years and make the elite 8!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    THANK YOU GOD!
    There was Facebook groups all over the place trying to get him out of here, petitions, and constant e-mails to the the AD at UK.

Perhaps he is sufficient for the Gophers but not anywhere near the caliber of coach UK needs.
    His recruiting skills were pathetic and his game coaching skills were painful to watch.
    In his first season he won the national title, true, but the pieces had already been put in place by the GREAT Rick Pitino.
    Since then Tubby has shown his true colors and not returned UK to the Final Four.

Currently I think Billy D., Rick P., and John Calipari are the main people we're wanting.
    Imagine the story of Rick returning to his kingdom and fixing the ship, ooooooooooooooo man I love the thought of that.

SO LONG TUBBY!

I think you are way wrong and that in 3 years you guys will be whining and bitching because your team is on the way DOWN!

Maybe Tubby only won the national championship once and it was his 1st year but you had 10 straight tourney runs and made it to the sweet 16 4 times and you are whining.

LMFAO!

If the Gayphers are in the elite 8 in 4 years I'll... hell, something pretty bad.
    I'm pretty sure talking out of you ass on this.
    Kentucky demands more than 4 sweet sixteens, we expect 4 final fours in 10 years, atleast.
    Kentucky in the NIT?
    Please tell me how this is going to happen.

Oh yea, appearances in the tourney?
    WE can get in by our name, you need miracles to get in.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    THANK YOU GOD!

SO LONG TUBBY!

LMFAO!

If the Gayphers are in the elite 8 in 4 years I'll... hell, something pretty bad.
    I'm pretty sure talking out of you ass on this.
    Kentucky demands more than 4 sweet sixteens, we expect 4 final fours in 10 years, atleast.
    Kentucky in the NIT?
    Please tell me how this is going to happen.

Oh yea, appearances in the tourney?
    WE can get in by our name, you need miracles to get in.

Again, I'm going with lucky with this. NC State fans were the same. State is a prestigious basketball school with multiple national championships in a power conference and herb sendeks boring offense with lackluster recruiting was not cutting it. Real fans want championships, not NCAA bids. They want 5 star players, not 3 stars.

Look at how the Herb Sendek/ Sidney Lowe situation ended up. NC state basketball currently has a better team than Arizona state, a better recruiting class than arizona state, a better X's and O's offense than Arizona state, a better coaching staff than arizona state.. I could go on. As it stands for next year Kentucky will be in a much better state than minnesota will. Righting the ship at kentucky is not a hard task. Righting the ship at minnesota is hard to impossible.

Tubby will realize in a little while that the grass is not always greener and Minnesota fans will be in for a surprise when their program is in the gutter like Arizona State's.

KY Vike is offline Starter

"whackthepack" wrote:

Hahaha

Dude this is Kentucky. NIT? are you serious? I can't comment on Minnesota's success because it can go either way, Tubby is a good coach. Kentucky will surely be fine within 2 years, considering they are going to get a premier coach that is well established like Billy Donovon (Florida), Rick Pitino (Louisville), Calipari (Memphis), or Gillispie (Texas A and M). Next year will be hard without morris, but the recruits will start to come in next season.
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

"KY" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Hahaha

Dude this is Kentucky. NIT? are you serious? I can't comment on Minnesota's success because it can go either way, Tubby is a good coach. Kentucky will surely be fine within 2 years, considering they are going to get a premier coach that is well established like Billy Donovon (Florida), Rick Pitino (Louisville), Calipari (Memphis), or Gillispie (Texas A and M). Next year will be hard without morris, but the recruits will start to come in next season.
    And anyways, I don't even think Kentucky would play in the NIT in the HIGHLY unlikely even that we didn't make the NCAA tournament.

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

The way people classify recruits with stars is ridiculous. A National Championship isn't promised with a roster full of 5 star McDonald's All Americans and 4 star players. I mean yeah, occasionally you have teams like that, but it takes more balance and team play then anything else. If you're a good coach, you can afford to take 3 star and maybe some 4 star players and make them play like 5 stars are supposed to.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    THANK YOU GOD!

SO LONG TUBBY!

the guy lost with kentucky.. thats hard to do i cant say that im excited at all

Thanks josdin00

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast