Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Gophers getting a Tubby for a coach

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_081140713.html

Gophers May Be Close To Naming New Coach
    Mike Max

(WCCO) Minneapolis WCCO's Mike Max has learned that the University of Minnesota may be close to announcing a new men's basketball coach, and the newest name in the mix is Tubby Smith of Kentucky.

In a meeting Wednesday night between Smith and University of Kentucky officials, a resignation from Smith was expected. Word is that Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi and associate athletics director Tom Wistrcill were on a flight Thursday afternoon to Lexington to meet with Smith.

When asked about the coaching job, Smith told WKYT-TV in Lexington that he would be traveling to Minnesota to "check it out."

Smith won a national championship in 1998, his first season with the Wildcats. Kentucky lost to Kansas Sunday in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Smith's team lost all six matchups against ranked opponents and finished 9-7 in the SEC. There has been speculation throughout the year that this would be his last at Kentucky.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Gophers getting a Tubby for a coach

There was an article just recently in which the author implored Tubby to get out while the getting was good...before he got fired by the Kentucky 'brain trust', that is.
    Maybe Tubby is listening!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

its official, tubby will be named the new coach (foxsports.com)..i was really hoping bob knight would consider and possibly take the job
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I would have liked to see Knight in many ways, too. But being from Kentucky Smith will be a great coach for the Gophers. He has done a nice job at Kentucky but he just hasn't been in the "Final Four" every year like fans in Kentucky demand.
    If there is a fault with him, I think it's in recruiting skills. I live in Maysville, Ky where Christ Lofton, Mr. Basketball from Kentucky lives. Tubby never even went after him. He went to Tennessee and is the leading scorer in the SCC.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

I think this is awesome for the U... A coach with a lot of success in his career could really turn this program around.
    Finally a big name coach is coming into barn to coach some basketball!
    Hopefully he will increase recruiting and him and Brewster can get our 2 fallen sports get on the right track again!

KY Vike is offline Starter

wow i am so pissed right now (I live in KY)

UK is done for a year or two, unless we get Billy Donovon or Calapari.

Minnesota will love Tubby. He can't recruit very well for the expectations of UK, but he will definetly make minnesota a contender. Good luck and i wish him the best.
    2 Most Favorite Things:
    1) Minnesota Vikings
    2) Kentucky Basketball. Yeah Baby!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I would have liked to see Knight in many ways, too. But being from Kentucky Smith will be a great coach for the Gophers. He has done a nice job at Kentucky but he just hasn't been in the "Final Four" every year like fans in Kentucky demand.
    If there is a fault with him, I think it's in recruiting skills. I live in Maysville, Ky where Christ Lofton, Mr. Basketball from Kentucky lives. Tubby never even went after him. He went to Tennessee and is the leading scorer in the SCC.
    of course, its a great signing..cant really argue it at all..its a tremendous upgrade over monson, but bobby knight wouldve been alot of fun..great signing, but i personally wouldve liked knight
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

When i heard they got Tubby I got a Chubby. Man it's nice to be excited about Gopher football and basketball again.

WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

The guy has made the tournament 14 years straight.
    Kentucky expects the title every year.
    Awesome move for the U of M.
    Very excited to see the Gophers in the Tourney next year!

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

There is no way that Minnesota is going to the NCAA Tourney next year, Tubby isn't a miracle worker.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast